talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Golden Generation vs Now

football forum

------------------------------------------------------------------Pickford___________________________________________

Walker_______________Rio____________________________Campbell________________________Cole

_________________________Hargreaves_______________Scholes________________________________

Beckham_______________________________Gerrard___________________________________Joe Cole

_______________________________________Rooney/Owen______________________________________

Gone for Pickford as he seems to perform at major competitions. Reason I've gone for Scholes and Hargreaves is because they are able to maintain possession and control a game. Gerrard as the number 10 doesn't have to worry to too much about his defensive responsibilities. 

Am torn here between the 2 strikers. Owen before injuries came in struck fear into international sides. Goals against Argentina, Brazil and Portugal on the big stage. I still maintain to this day that if Rooney didn't get injured during the Euro 2004 semi finals they'd have won the competition. After Euro 2004 he never really had a top tournament at international level. Is this down to injuries pre-competition? 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question regarding the Southgate sides and the previous golden generation. A few people I've spoken to claim that The current golden generation are playing in an era where many of the top national sides are quite poor in comparison and are going through transition. For example they claim the Brazil side which beat England 2-1 during the 2002 WC with Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho would slaughter the Southgate sides by much more. They claim the Portugal sides of 2004 and 2006 who twice beat England on penalties who had the likes of Ronaldo, Nuno Gomes, Rui costa and Figo would batter the current England side. They claim the same about the Germany 2010 side, their argument revolves round the previous generation playing in a much tougher era and that Southgates side is playing in an poorer era of international sides and have always been on the easier side of the draw.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I have a question regarding the Southgate sides and the previous golden generation. A few people I've spoken to claim that The current golden generation are playing in an era where many of the top national sides are quite poor in comparison and are going through transition. For example they claim the Brazil side which beat England 2-1 during the 2002 WC with Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho would slaughter the Southgate sides by much more. They claim the Portugal sides of 2004 and 2006 who twice beat England on penalties who had the likes of Ronaldo, Nuno Gomes, Rui costa and Figo would batter the current England side. They claim the same about the Germany 2010 side, their argument revolves round the previous generation playing in a much tougher era and that Southgates side is playing in an poorer era of international sides and have always been on the easier side of the draw.

What's the question...

Archived