talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Slovakia 1-2 Ukraine - Friday 21st June 2024

• The topic was pinned
  • The title was changed to Slovakia vs Ukraine - Friday 21st June 2024
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Have the Ukrainian and Slovak fans descended on Dusseldorf yet @Tommy?😃

I've seen some in the city yesterday. But small numbers compared to the Scots. The Scots somehow made Düsseldorf their main hub. There are thousands here. 

14 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I've seen some in the city yesterday. But small numbers compared to the Scots. The Scots somehow made Düsseldorf their main hub. There are thousands here. 

They've no doubt got the old bagpipes out then. I bet the bar owners are all chuffed with their presence, they must be raking it in with their profits!

• Upvote 1

Ukraine play Slovakia in what is a must win game for Ukraine. The pressure is on Ukraine, after having lost their opening match and they will have to play the game of their lives, if they want to beat this strong Slovakia side. Slovakia will be brimming after beating Belgium and they are likely to sit deep and attempt to punish Ukraine on the counter attack.

The starting line-ups for today's match are out and the big news for Ukraine is that Real Madrid's Lunin is dropped and he has been replaced by Benfica's Trubin. Further changes to the starting line-up is that Tymchyk has replaced Konoplia at right-back and more significantly, the young Brazhko has replaced the veteran Stepanenko in the midfield holding role. Brazhko(22 years old) was one of the few impressive Ukrainian players against Romania, when he came on as a substitute. Shaparenko quite surprisingly maintains his midfield holding role next to Brazhko, even though he is a natural attacking midfielder. Another big surprise, is that the veteran Yarmolenko starts ahead of Girona's Tsyhankov. The manager Rebrov has really rung the changes as he has introduced 4 new players to the starting line-up, including dropping some big names like Tsyhankov and Lunin.

I am happy with Brazhko starting, he should provide some real steel in that midfield and hopefully the more creative Shaparenko has a better game today. Mudryk and Sudakov will be asked to provide the creativity once again, while Yarmolenko's experience will hopefully help Ukraine down the right wing. Ukraine will hope that his crosses reach the La Liga's top scorer Dovbyk. Dovbyk will lead the line once again as Ukraine's centre forward. In defence, Zabarnyi and Matviyenko will continue their usual strong partnership in central defence, while Zinchenko keeps his place at left-back, due to Mykolenko still being injured. Tymchyk has a chance to prove himself at right-back. While the keeper Trubin will be pumped up as Ukraine's starting keeper today.

Ukraine: GK: Trubin, RB: Tymchyk, CB: Zabarnyi, CB: Matviyenko, LB: Zinchenko - CM: Brazhko, CM: Shaparenko, AM: Sudakov, LW: Mudryk, RW: Yarmolenko - CF: Dovbyk

As for Slovakia, they start with the exact same side that beat Belgium in their opening match. The experienced Dubravka who had a very good match, starts in goal. The solid and well organised back line of Liverpool linked Hancko as well as Skriniar, Vavro and Pekarik, who were all excellent against Belgium. In midfield, Napoli's Lobotka is their metronome in midfield, he will be joined by the battling Kucka and Duda in midfield. In attack, Schranz, the scorer against Belgium, starts once again next to the superb Haraslin and Bozenik. Bozenik who used to play for Fortuna Dusseldorf, will be returning to his old stomping ground. Slovakia will no doubt play a patient game, seeing as they already gained 3 points with their win against Belgium. Their game plan is likely to be to stay disciplined and strong in defence and try to punish Ukraine on the counter attack. 

Slovakia: GK: Dubravka, RB: Pekarik, CB: Vavro, CB: Skriniar, LB: Hancko - CM: Kucka, CM: Lobotka, CM: Duda - RW: Schranz, CF: Bozenik, LW: Haraslin

In my opinion I am very happy that Brazhko is starting in the midfield holding role, as he is excellent in that position. I am a bit surprised that Shaparenko maintains his position in the other midfield holding position. He works hard, but this is not his natural position and he didn't have a great game against Romania. Shaparenko's best position is in attacking midfield, as a creative player. But hopefully we have an improved performance by him. Lunin being replaced by Trubin is a very big call, but the manager Rebrov was clearly not happy with Lunin's performance against Romania. So he has called on another top class keeper Trubin and utilised the strength in his squad. Tymchyk starting ahead of Konoplia I don't mind, as he has had some good games for Ukraine previously. As for Yarmolenko starting ahead of Girona ace Tsyhankov, well that's another big call. But I am guessing that Rebrov is relying on Yarmolenko's experience and his excellent crossing ability, he will be asked to whip in the crosses for Dovbyk to get on the end of.

I also take it that Yarmolenko will replace the dropped Stepanenko as captain of Ukraine for this game. This is not necessarily the line-up I would have selected, but it will be interesting to see how Ukraine perform in this heavy pressure match. Hopefully Ukraine deliver, but this will be a really tough and high pressure match for them in Dusseldorf.

It's also interesting to note that the referee for today's match is no other than our English referee Michael Oliver. May the best team win in today's crucial match in Dusseldorf.

Edited by Michael

• The title was changed to Slovakia 1-0 Ukraine - Friday 21st June 2024

Ukraine got the ball forward to Dovbyk, he got past one defender, but Pekarik then blocked his effort for a corner. Good build up there from Ukraine.

Edited by Michael

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Michael said:

Much like England yesterday, Ukraine are sitting back and not pressing the opposition when they aren't in possesion.

And it's a bit laboured when you are in possession. Slovakia seem a bit more organised on the ball. Ukraine look out of ideas if they can't get the wingers on the ball running into space. 

Mudryk gets past the defender Vavro and finds himself one on one with Dubravka, but Dubravka blocks his effort and the ball is cleared. Another big chance there for Ukraine.

Edited by Michael