talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Slovakia 1-1 Romania - Wednesday 26th June, 2024

This is a match in which both sides will ensure qualification to the Round of 16, if they draw in this game. Leading to many to speculate that they will both play for the draw. Lets hope this is not the case and that both sides look to win.

Slovakia have produced some lovely football during this competition, both in their win over Belgium and in their loss against Ukraine. There seems to be a real cohesiveness in this team and a lot of understanding between the players. Slovakia are likely to start with the same starting 11 that started their previous 2 games at these Euros. In goal, Newcastle United's Dubravka will start once again. His experience is invaluable and he has already produced some great saves in Slovakia's opening 2 games of these Euros. 

In defence, Hertha Berlin's Pekarik will play at right-back, while at left-back, Feyenoord's much in demand Hancko will start. In central defence, PSG's Skriniar will partner Vavro in a solid partnership. 

The midfield will include 3 very experienced midfielders in Napoli's Lobotka, Verona's Duda and Kucka. The understanding between these 3 midfielders has meant even the likes of Hamburg's Laszlo Benes, who was arguably the best midfielder in the 2 Bundesliga last season, can't get a start in the team. Even talented players like Verona's Suslov have to settle for a place on the bench. 

The attack will be headed by Boavista's centre-forward Bozenik. Schranz, who has scored both of Slovakia's goals at these Euros, will start on the right-wing. While, the really impressive Haraslin will play on the left-wing.

Slovakia: GK: Dubravka - RB: Pekarik, CB: Skriniar, CB: Vavro, LB: Hancko - MF: Lobotka, MF: Duda, MF: Kucka - RW: Schranz, LW: Haraslin -CF: Bozenik

For Romania, they will play with experienced keeper Nita in goal. Bancu will play at left-back, while Ratiu will play at right-back. Tottenham's Dragusin will play at centre-back alongside Burca. 

In midfield, the holding midfielder will once again be Empoli's Razvan Marin, alongside Marius Marin. The attacking midfield position and the play-making responsibilities will once again fall to the experienced Stanciu. However, Romania have decided to make changes to their wingers in this game, as Florinel Coman starts on the left-wing instead of Parma's Mihaila, while on the right-wing, Alaves's Ianis Hagi starts ahead of the other Parma winger, Dennis Man. The centre-forward position goes once again to Dragus, who will have the responsibility of leading the line for Romania.

Romania: GK: Nita - RB: Ratiu, CB: Dragusin, CB: Burca, LB: Bancu - DM: Razvan Marin, DM: Marius Marin, AM: Stanciu - RW: Hagi, LW: Coman - CF: Dragus

This should be an interesting match, one in which we hope that both teams look to win.

17 hours ago, Michael said:

Doesn't look like it at the moment. Although wouldn't rule out Mail making claims out of their arse trusting on none of their readers being capable of speaking Romanian and giving a flying fart of fact checking them.:ph34r:

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

22 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Doesn't look like it at the moment. Although wouldn't rule out Mail making claims out of their arse trusting on none of their readers being capable of speaking Romanian and giving a flying fart of fact checking them.:ph34r:

Well it is a 1-1 draw at half-time and this is not the result Ukraine want. If this game ends as a draw, Ukraine will have to win in their match to have any chance of advancing.

9 minutes ago, Michael said:

It finishes 1-1 in Frankfurt between Slovakia and Romania. Not much surprise here.

Slovakia 1-1 Romania

Both scored a goal in their respective match. If the Ukraine had done the same they'd top their group. More concentrating on your own deficencies and less believing in conspiracy theories would be my advice. Even, if you don't take this advice there's still an interesting question: Romania have won against the Ukraine 3-0, while Slovakia won versus Belgium which the Ukraine couldn't. From this point of view, how are Ukraine deserving to advance over 1 of these 2 teams?

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Both scored a goal in there respective match. If the Ukraine had done the same they'd top their group. More concentrating on your own deficencies and less believing in conspiracy theories would be my advice. Even, if you don't take this advice there's still an intersting question: "Romania have won against the Ukraine 3-0, while Slovakia won vwesus Belgium which the Ukraine couldn't. From this point of view, how are Ukraine deserving to advance over 1 of these 2 teams?

Ukraine's undoing was losing to Romania. If they'd played with 3 at the back against Romania, I doubt they'd have lost, but that's by the bye. They're performances drastically improved against Slovakia and Belgium. Losing key players like Mudryk, Tsyhankov and Mykolenko was a huge blow. Especially for the final game against Belgium. Mudryk and Tsyhankov not playing is like Germany playing without Musiala and Wirtz. Except Ukraine don't have nearly as much depth as Germany to cover for them. Ukraine earned 4 points, which is more points than Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia who all finished 3rd in their groups and who will all advance to the next round, as well as whoever is likely to finish 3rd in Group F.

I don't believe it was deliberately fixed between Slovakia and Romania(although some do). But it's easy to settle for the draw, when you know you'll both qualify. I think Slovakia and Romania kind of went for it in the 1st half, but from what I saw in the 2nd half, there was much less urgency from the teams, especially later on in the game. 

Who is deserving to go through is subjective. But all I'll say is that Slovakia, Romania and Belgium didn't have any injuries to their players at these Euros as far as I know, yet Ukraine did have injuries to key players. A the end of the day, Ukraine can only blame themselves. They created many scoring chances today and against Slovakia(they should have beaten Slovakia more than 2-1), yet didn't score. Ukraine had the youngest starting 11 team compared to any other team at these Euros and in all their 3 matches played. So the future is bright. I am of the belief that they are stronger than Slovakia and Romania, but they messed up against Romania and they've paid for it. 

If Ukraine didn't have injuries to the likes of Mudryk, Tsyhankov and Mykolenko in many of the group games, it could have been a different story. You are entitled to your opinion and I wish Belgium, Slovakia and Romania all the best in the next round.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Michael said:

Ukraine's undoing was losing to Romania. If they'd played with 3 at the back against Romania, I doubt they'd have lost, but that's by the bye. They're performances drastically improved against Slovakia and Belgium. Losing key players like Mudryk, Tsyhankov and Mykolenko was a huge blow. Especially for the final game against Belgium. Mudryk and Tsyhankov not playing is like Germany playing without Musiala and Wirtz. Except Ukraine don't have nearly as much depth as Germany to cover for them. Ukraine earned 4 points, which is more points than Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia who all finished 3rd in their groups and who will all advance to the next round, as well as whoever is likely to finish 3rd in Group F.

I don't believe it was deliberately fixed between Slovakia and Romania(although some do). But it's easy to settle for the draw, when you know you'll both qualify. I think Slovakia and Romania kind of went for it in the 1st half, but from what I saw in the 2nd half, there was much less urgency from the teams, especially later on in the game. 

Who is deserving to go through is subjective. But all I'll say is that Slovakia, Romania and Belgium didn't have any injuries to their players at these Euros as far as I know, yet Ukraine did have injuries to key players. A the end of the day, Ukraine can only blame themselves. They created many scoring chances today and against Slovakia(they should have beaten Slovakia more than 2-1), yet didn't score. Ukraine had the youngest starting 11 team compared to any other team at these Euros and in all their 3 matches played. So the future is bright. I am of the belief that they are stronger than Slovakia and Romania, but they messed up against Romania and they've paid for it. 

If Ukraine didn't have injuries to the likes of Mudryk, Tsyhankov and Mykolenko in many of the group games, it could have been a different story. You are entitled to your opinion and I wish Belgium, Slovakia and Romania all the best in the next round.

At the bolded part of course it is, that was tongue in cheek. At the more concentrating on your own deficency part, perhaps am a bit touchy here, still that's due to a former tournament, can't remember which one and am lazy to look it up, when Italy were third in there group behind Sweden and Denmark. The innitial situation was Sweden and Denmark needed to draw to qualify for the next round, while Italy needed to win versus Bulgaria and the other match not being a draw to padvance. In the end Italy played 0-0 versus Bulögaria and Sweden- Dennark finished in a draw. Now comes the point, which gave me a bad feeling Italians cried foul and claimed they could have won 3-0 against Bulgaria and wouldn't had qualified for the next round. My reaction was: " No you couldn't had won 3-0 versus Bulgaria, you couldn't even win 1-0. Why don't you admit you would have gone out regardless of the other result yet claim these other teams had screwed you?" am very sensitive towards such forseeable or unsurprisingly comments, from fans of teams that need other teams to win to progress, and don't even win their own game, ever since.

42 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

At the bolded part of course it is, that was tongue in cheek. At the more concentrating on your own deficency part, perhaps am a bit touchy here, still that's due to a former tournament, can't remember which one and am lazy to look it up, when Italy were third in there group behind Sweden and Denmark. The innitial situation was Sweden and Denmark needed to draw to qualify for the next round, while Italy needed to win versus Bulgaria and the other match not being a draw to padvance. In the end Italy played 0-0 versus Bulögaria and Sweden- Dennark finished in a draw. Now comes the point, which gave me a bad feeling Italians cried foul and claimed they could have won 3-0 against Bulgaria and wouldn't had qualified for the next round. My reaction was: " No you couldn't had won 3-0 versus Bulgaria, you couldn't even win 1-0. Why don't you admit you would have gone out regardless of the other result yet claim these other teams had screwed you?" am very sensitive towards such forseeable or unsurprisingly comments, from fans of teams that need other teams to win to progress, and don't even win their own game, ever since.

I understand your point. But in groups where all teams are closely matched, teams are going to complain about the fine margins. But I agree on that front, Ukraine got 4 points, but they knew that wouldn't be enough if the other game ended in a draw. But winning against Belgium with 2 of your best players not available, was always going to be a difficult task. At the end of the day, Ukraine are out, but I just think they messed up against Romania, not so much against Belgium. Especially as conceding those 3 goals is what made the difference in the end. If they'd only lost 1-0 to Romania even and the rest of the results were as they panned out, then Ukraine would have qualified. 

Anyway, it's been a learning experience for this young Ukraine team. It's just a shame Ukraine had those injuries for today's game, as they needed as many of their best players as possible to beat Belgium. But like I said, congratulations to all the teams that qualified from this group.

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to Slovakia 1-1 Romania - Wednesday 26th June, 2024