talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Paddy McNair - Agrees £5m Move to 'Boro

Brighton have had a £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for midfielder Paddy McNair.

I'm surprised he has only played 18 times for them last season. He played in a fashion at times which suggests he will be integral to the restructure of the club this season.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McNair missed a hell of a lot of the season with injury, £4m+ is a hell of a price for someone who missed that much football and has been in a poor side for two or so years. Sunderland should recoup a hell of a lot of money from the sale of McNair and people like Didier Ndong, Fabio Borini, Wahbi Kazhri, Lamine Kone, Papy Djilobodji and maybe a few others. 

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed personal terms with Middlesbrough at five million.

Other than a good brief spell at the end of last season, I can't say I remember people raving about how good he has been. With that in mind, Sunderland must be delighted with the fee.

At the same time, he must be delighted with the move. He's joining a winning team heading in the right direction that doesn't involve a huge relocation. He will also be playing for an experienced manager that will no doubt be good for his development given the role he plays. I know Brighton were interested, but long term this could be just as good.

At the moment, with the set up in place and the way they finished the season, 'Boro to me look like the best shout for promotion. Then again I said the same last season and looked what happened there.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived