talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL2 Discussion 2018/19

• Subscriber

Screenshot_20180923-144949_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3bb35f7bb035c7fa976f03de0ac3143c.jpg

Any love for some discussion on the Under 23 Development League? I know it doesn't exclusively concern current Premier League sides, but it's a good place to keep an eye on those recovering from injury and those about to break onto the first team stage.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

We came very close to winning this last season which is quite impressive for us as I believe previous seasons hadn't been too successful.

We have some players to keep an eye on though, regardless. Josh Knight, Sam Hughes, Layton Ndukwu, Darnell Johnson, Admiral Muskwe - they've all impressed and wouldn't surprise me if they went out on loan to League One/Two clubs to get some competitive experience. Hamza Choudhury is back in the u23 squad after making a few senior appearances last season. Still on the fringes but being kept in the U23s  for now.

• Subscriber

Our boys beat Spurs 6-0 this afternoon. Fraser Hornby was amongst the scorers and has been the standout for our under 23s so far this campaign. With Tosun struggling there have been some shouts for him to get a first team call up ahead of Calvert-Lewin and Niasse. 

• Subscriber

I've started watching our games on Monday nights. Got to be brutally honest I think while our record is good, we're very much a side who bully teams with physicality and that's why we do well. No surprise that we therefore struggle to transition these players into first team action.

Beaglehole might be a decent coach on a personal level but his football is honking. If we ever want to have a successful academy we need to improve on the coaching. Absolutely no idea why we let Idiakez go. He was apparently working wonders.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Stan said:

We came very close to winning this last season which is quite impressive for us as I believe previous seasons hadn't been too successful.

We have some players to keep an eye on though, regardless. Josh Knight, Sam Hughes, Layton Ndukwu, Darnell Johnson, Admiral Muskwe - they've all impressed and wouldn't surprise me if they went out on loan to League One/Two clubs to get some competitive experience. Hamza Choudhury is back in the u23 squad after making a few senior appearances last season. Still on the fringes but being kept in the U23s  for now.

Shame Hughes is injured as he looked a prospect. I think Ndukwu's worth keeping an eye on, looks quite a naturally talented player. Diabate looked decent early doors when we signed him but he's gone off a cliff since the initial burst, Ndukwu looks considerably better.

Archived