• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

W Series racing

football forum

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

We talked a bit about it with @Tommy in the F1 Feeder Series thread. I'll just copy paste the posts...

On 02/05/2019 at 16:01, Tommy said:

:35_thinking:

On 02/05/2019 at 16:54, nudge said:

I still think they should have taken all that money they are spending on this series that looks like only a marketing gimmick to me and actually invested it in up and coming female drivers in various already established series starting with the grassroots level; maybe in a form of sponsorships, scholarships and development programs. This series (if it actually takes off) might get more girls interested in motorsports and encourage them to pursue a career but other than that, I'm afraid it's going to be a dead-end. I mean, who would be taken more seriously by a potential sponsor/racing team - a young driver (regardless of gender) who has been competing in an already established, official feeder series in the single-seater ladder and whose talent can be judged regularly based on their on track performances against numerous other drivers coming up through the same ladder, or a female driver taking part in a segregated, stand-alone series where they are only racing against a few other women for only 6 races a season so it's hard to judge their skills?... I don't know, I'm very skeptical about it as I think it only brings more segregation. If you want successful female drivers in motorsports, let them compete together with male drivers from the very start and provide more opportunities (which really equals to financing) for them to showcase their talent and skills on a level playing field. 

On 02/05/2019 at 22:47, RandoEFC said:

It's a shame the Danica Patrick thing never went through. Susie Wolff and Maria de Villota both got testing roles at a similar time a few years ago but the way things went with Maria's crash, that's probably subconsciously set the process back by the best part of a decade unfortunately.

On 05/05/2019 at 22:27, Tommy said:

W-Series going well so far... :4_joy:

wser.jpg

On 05/05/2019 at 23:40, nudge said:

Haha. I saw that, they were all in general pretty nervous and obviously not used to it and the post-race organisation wasn't rehearsed well I think. 

Claire Williams was were too; in the paddock and presenting the awards. 

The race itself... well. I personally found it a bit dull. There's a huge difference between the few drivers at the top, the midfield, and the backmarkers. Like, it's only a 30 minute race in spec cars with a 5 minute safety car period and the gap between 1st and 8th was over 17 seconds... Between 1st and last (16th) it was over 46 seconds. Also I couldn't tell the cars apart most of the time as there's very little variation in the liveries. Given that they will actually swap cars every race makes that even worse. The coverage/commentary was pretty bad as well. 

Best impression of the race - Miki Koyama. Started P17 and made it into P7. Too bad they didn't show most of her overtakes on the broadcast though.

On 06/05/2019 at 00:21, Tommy said:

I only saw the results and I thought the gap between the leader and the lower half of the grid looked weird. Thanks for the "report". I'll try to watch the next race, I completely forgot about it again. Too many Steins or something :4_joy:

Archived