talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

football forum

On 14/01/2020 at 11:00, Inti Brian said:

Not sure how popular this one is, but here goes. Modern mainstream gaming is garbage. Everything is about shooters now and there is little variety. Too much microtransactions that came along with technology and kids think they can call themselves "gamers" by only playing GTA or Call of Duty. Indie games while they try to make up for the lack of variety are simply too low budget to live up to older titles.

Agree 100%.

Video games were just better in the past (prior 2010).

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2020 at 15:52, Panflute said:

- Mario Kart 64, while enjoyable, was not a good game even for its time.

I don't agree with this one. It was released in 1997. What other kart racers were released by then? Mario Kart 64 was way better than its predecessor and all Diddy Kong Racing had going for it was adventure. It took no skill at all due to a lack of a drifting system.

What I do agree though is that it was dated pretty quickly. Crash Team Racing in 1999 made Mario Kart 64 obsolete. Diddy Kong Racing at least had a well thought out adventure mode which was a very different perspective to CTR's, but MK64 lacking that and not having developed the "skill" factor to the game, was destroyed by the PS1 equivalent in gameplay.

11 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

I don't agree with this one. It was released in 1997. What other kart racers were released by then? Mario Kart 64 was way better than its predecessor and all Diddy Kong Racing had going for it was adventure. It took no skill at all due to a lack of a drifting system.

What I do agree though is that it was dated pretty quickly. Crash Team Racing in 1999 made Mario Kart 64 obsolete. Diddy Kong Racing at least had a well thought out adventure mode which was a very different perspective to CTR's, but MK64 lacking that and not having developed the "skill" factor to the game, was destroyed by the PS1 equivalent in gameplay.

Diddy Kong Racing was released around the same time and was better in every department.

Mario Kart 64, while fun at parties, was simply a bad game even when it was released. There were no unlockable characters, the graphics were awful even at the time, the game's entire difficulty hinged on dirt-cheap rubber-banding AI that would catch up with you even if you were half a lap ahead, there was no track selection (it was either Grand Prix or Time Trial). The only thing it had going over his predecessor was that they were able to add a vertical aspect to their track design on account of the 3D graphics, but other than that it showed no ambition in pushing the series forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Pokemon Red and Blue's success was due to the franchise charm and originality. Even for it's time it had tons of flaws.

- Glitches all over the place (Missingno the #1 example)

- Broken attacks that made for dirt cheap gameplay (if you used Wrap and were faster than your opponent, there was no way they could beat you)

- All critical hit likely attacks were always critical hits

- The sprites were awful and didn't even resemble the original designs

- Special being one stat was a flaw of its own. Attack and Defence were seperate and this made physical Pokemon way more limited and Special Pokemon like Alakazam pretty much broken.

- Poor math execution (Focus Energy was supposed to multiply your critical hit chance by 4, but divided it instead)

- If you got frozen, you would stay that way forever.

I can forgive the lack of a big item bag, the shallow movepools (Rapidash was one of the worst fire types for this alone), and dual types not functioning properly because it was the first game and they were figuring things out, but the ones mentioned above were major flaws in the game that can ruin the experience for newer players. Even for it's time, it was too flawed and it was saved by charm and originality. 

Don't get me wrong, I go back to Red and Blue every so often for the nostalgia. It's still a fun game but it has so many issues that it is outclassed by every game made since. Gold and Silver were the first truly legendary Pokemon games.

Archived