talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2020/21 Matches - Sunday 27th December, 2020

football forums

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

People would be singing from the rooftops about us if our manager had spent all of December crying about the fact that we've had the least rest between games of any side, had to face 4 of last year's top 8 in that run plus a midweek cup game against Man Utd all with Digne, Coleman, Allan, Richarlison and Rodriguez missing some or all of those games.

Yesterday was massive because winning games where you don't play well and the festive period is getting on top of you is the difference between finishing 7th like normal Everton and actually doing something better. We proved earlier in the season that we can outscore teams, we've proved more recently that we can grind out results as well. You're never going to see vintage Everton with Digne, Richarlison and Rodriguez all out injured and Calvert-Lewin running on empty because the only option to give him a rest is to play Tosun.

It's been our weekend and entire festive period so far. A shame about the Cup game against Man Utd and we'll probably lose to City tomorrow but I'm not having any negativity when we're sat 2nd on merit after 15 games, 3 points off the league leaders with more than our fair share of injuries to key players so far too.

I’d love it to be the case but you’ve been so poor. Manchester United was the biggest game of the year for you, a real chance of a trophy and you were awful. I hope I’m wrong but I feel the table is flattering you right now.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, UNIQUE said:

sounds like you think everton can do something this season xD

I see from your posts so far that you're of the Twitter bantz breed of Reds that we usually manage to swerve on here. You've already learned where the laughing emojis are on this site, so well done for getting that far. If you're going to fit in though you'll probably want to ease off on the "VAR hates Liverpool" nonsense and at least learn to use capital letters because the other Liverpool fans on here are grown ups and won't just blindly agree with partisan rubbish (mostly). Look out for the caps lock button, it's a trap!

In all seriousness, I don't expect us to even get top 4 but I'll be annoyed if we don't at least get into Europe. Being 2nd now is probably going to be our peak moment. We've had our fair share of dross performances this season, but so have everyone else, and we've done the best job of scraping together points on those days, but there's still only a handful of points between us and 8th or 9th. Liverpool are still a cut above everyone. You can see that insatiable hunger of the last two seasons has ebbed away a little bit but you're still good enough to win the league most seasons. It would take an elite Pep City side to be ahead of you still.

23 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I’d love it to be the case but you’ve been so poor. Manchester United was the biggest game of the year for you, a real chance of a trophy and you were awful. I hope I’m wrong but I feel the table is flattering you right now.

It’s not like you’ve got to play great football all the time to win things though? Being able to grind out results is a big part of what makes a side contend.

Tbh every team that’s a contender, imo, has had moments where they look great and totally shite. This is a weird season.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s not like you’ve got to play great football all the time to win things though? Being able to grind out results is a big part of what makes a side contend.

Tbh every team that’s a contender, imo, has had moments where they look great and totally shite. This is a weird season.

i have said this to people and they have said i am crazy but imo liverpool are a team that only plays well with a crazy bunch of fans going mad. the manager the players and the style of football liverpool play feeds off a big crowd. 

1 hour ago, UNIQUE said:

i have said this to people and they have said i am crazy but imo liverpool are a team that only plays well with a crazy bunch of fans going mad. the manager the players and the style of football liverpool play feeds off a big crowd. 

I think it’s the same as the Fulham match, tbh - a bit of complacency against these desperate sides and they’ll do all they can to punish us because mentally getting a point against us is going to give them hope for a lot of other matches, and sets the sort of mindset you need to have when you’re in a relegation slog.

For a side that hasn’t won 1-0 since February, I do think against some sides we play the way we should play when we’re 2-0 up when we’ve taken the lead. We get a bit complacent, we get a bit cocky - but if we don’t get that second goal (or third or whatever it is that has us needing a cushion), I get a bit nervous.

I think for 2 years we’ve been used to a side desperate to bring us a league title that they’ve played with an incredible intensity that is probably hard to replicate now they’ve brought us that title. It’s just a guess, based off how we don’t look like we’ve got that same ruthlessness.

This match was one where the first half was very good but in the second half we were just too sloppy. They capitalised on our one big error and stayed organised enough... and their keeper made a brilliant save... to stop us from getting the 3 points. It’s football.

We’re clearly in the best spot you’d want to be in at any stage of the season, being in first place. Even if we’re clearly not anywhere near as good as we were last season.

Given how close it is up at the top and how inconsistent pretty much everyone has been (except Sheffield United lol), we’ve still got plenty of time to try to cut out mistakes and put games away earlier to try to stay ahead of everyone else.

Honestly it’s truly unfortunate to be without Virgil for most of the season. He makes our defense so much better and Fabinho in the midfield makes our midfield so much better.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived