talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Left In South America

football forum

The pandemic has shifted South America heavily towards the left and the Sao Paulo forum is slowly getting to achieve their goal.

I am thinking that some will fall though. Argentina apparently is going to head back to the right according to a poll that I don't remember where I read it. Paraguay, Uruguay are both right wing, and Ecuador is too but they are falling into Sao Paulo's trap as of the last month.

Peru has recently jailed their left wing president and the leftists have all gone out to protest. It's calmed down now but people speculate the cartels are behind the funding. Also Evo Morales is trying to spread left wing propaganda across the border.

It's a fucking shitty time here but we're coping for now. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

The pandemic has shifted South America heavily towards the left and the Sao Paulo forum is slowly getting to achieve their goal.

I am thinking that some will fall though. Argentina apparently is going to head back to the right according to a poll that I don't remember where I read it. Paraguay, Uruguay are both right wing, and Ecuador is too but they are falling into Sao Paulo's trap as of the last month.

Peru has recently jailed their left wing president and the leftists have all gone out to protest. It's calmed down now but people speculate the cartels are behind the funding. Also Evo Morales is trying to spread left wing propaganda across the border.

It's a fucking shitty time here but we're coping for now. 

All I really know about Peru's left is they've got close ties to Mexico's government. And I think Mexico's government under AmLo is particularly bad - and that's even with taking into consideration that the job of Mexican president is made 1000x more complicated than it possibly should be because of how powerful cartels are due to America's war on drugs creating an enormous black market that Mexican cartels have taken advantage of to gain ridiculous wealth and power.

I think democracy in South America struggles with the same issues democracies have faced in the Middle East, granted... democracy is much more developed than it is in South America than it is in the Middle East. Left or right ideologies don't matter so much to most ordinary people imo, especially in countries like this. People just want to be able to live enjoyable lives with relative degrees of comfort and freedom & to have the option for upward mobility in the future. These countries, like the Middle East, also have had long histories of dictatorships/authoritarians and a political culture that is rife with corruption.

To me the issues that plague South America, largely, will keep existing regardless of Latin/South America swinging left or right. And I don't think that changes until there's more work done to combat corruption. With Brazil that might be different, just because they are the region's economic powerhouse... but I'm sure corruption is still a problem in Brazil too. Neither Lula nor Bolsanero seem like the type of politicians that aren't corrupt xD

I don't think far swings to the left or right really do anything to battle corruption. They whip people up and tell them what they want to hear with their own slant on particular issues, build support, and then when they take power seem to act just as corrupt as their left/right wing predecessors (if not moreso).

In the west, I think centrists are shitheads. But imo South America and the Middle East need more centrists and less people who swing extreme left or extreme right.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

All I really know about Peru's left is they've got close ties to Mexico's government. And I think Mexico's government under AmLo is particularly bad - and that's even with taking into consideration that the job of Mexican president is made 1000x more complicated than it possibly should be because of how powerful cartels are due to America's war on drugs creating an enormous black market that Mexican cartels have taken advantage of to gain ridiculous wealth and power.

I think democracy in South America struggles with the same issues democracies have faced in the Middle East, granted... democracy is much more developed than it is in South America than it is in the Middle East. Left or right ideologies don't matter so much to most ordinary people imo, especially in countries like this. People just want to be able to live enjoyable lives with relative degrees of comfort and freedom & to have the option for upward mobility in the future. These countries, like the Middle East, also have had long histories of dictatorships/authoritarians and a political culture that is rife with corruption.

To me the issues that plague South America, largely, will keep existing regardless of Latin/South America swinging left or right. And I don't think that changes until there's more work done to combat corruption. With Brazil that might be different, just because they are the region's economic powerhouse... but I'm sure corruption is still a problem in Brazil too. Neither Lula nor Bolsanero seem like the type of politicians that aren't corrupt xD

I don't think far swings to the left or right really do anything to battle corruption. They whip people up and tell them what they want to hear with their own slant on particular issues, build support, and then when they take power seem to act just as corrupt as their left/right wing predecessors (if not moreso).

In the west, I think centrists are shitheads. But imo South America and the Middle East need more centrists and less people who swing extreme left or extreme right.

Mexico's left wing are all a mafia. They also hosted Evo Morales after he was chased out of Bolivia. I am not expert on politics but I'm getting a bit more of a drift of it now.

Archived