Wout Weghorst set to join Hoffenheim on loan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The Dutch Chris Wood,  that set of deals never worked out well for either ourselves nor Burnley,  however we did get 19m back for Wood. 

Similar players in style, that's true, but I've always thought that Weghorst was a much better and more effective player than Wood. I think that Weghorst would actually be a decent loan signing for Hoffenheim.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Similar players in style, that's true, but I've always thought that Weghorst was a much better and more effective player than Wood. I think that Weghorst would actually be a decent loan signing for Hoffenheim.

He has been successful in the Bundesliga so it may be the revival move he needs having flopped in England. 

2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

He has been successful in the Bundesliga so it may be the revival move he needs having flopped in England. 

I think that's a bit harsh of an assessment, to say he flopped, given without the context. Weghorst only played for Burnley for half a season, having joined them in January 2022. The club were in the relegation zone, struggling and there was huge pressure on Weghorst when he joined. He scored 2 goals in only half a season, for struggling Burnley who got relegated. It's was never going to be easy for him joining such a struggling side, who struggled to create chances for him.

He then went on loan to Besiktas in the summer of 2022 and he was a huge success in Turkey, where he averaged 1 goal every 2 games. His impressive form in Turkey, as well as a decent World Cup for the Netherlands(where he scored 2 goals against Argentina), is what prompted Man Utd to take him on loan during mid January 2023. However, it was always going to be hard for him to deliver what was expected of him from an elite club that Man Utd have now become once again. This is easily the strongest United side in the last 10 years and quite frankly, Weghorst is not good enough for such an elite side, especially at this stage of his career. Competition and expectations were always going to be tough for him to produce the goods in half a season for Man Utd. But despite only scoring 2 goals for them during this period, he had some decent games for them. His performance in the EFL Cup final against Newcastle in particular, helped contribute to Man Utd's win.

I believe that Weghorst is best suited to a mid-table club in one of the big leagues, where the team plays to his strengths. At a club like Hoffenheim, that love to play attacking football, he should find some more success again. But I think that Weghorst has more than proven his credentials during his career.