talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2024 - British GP - 5-7th July

Needed to double stack, that was obvious. I think the call for Norris to go on the softs, not mediums was his own call. I might be wrong though.

To beat Max over a season your pit crew has to be on the ball. Their pit stops are quick, but your race strategist has to get it right. This is another area where RB get things right.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Going by GP's comment, pitting early for intermediates was Max's call. So it's not just RB being on point, but Max himself. I honestly don't see anyone knocking him off his throne until he has a consistently slower car.

Edited by Panflute

39 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Going by GP's comment, pitting early for intermediates was Max's call. So it's not just RB being on point, but Max himself. I honestly don't see anyone knocking him off his throne until he has a consistently slower car.

Yep, drivers have to pitch in on decisions. Is a skill Lewis also has used well over the years. He's ignored instructions to pit and made his own calls which more often were right. Some of the drivers know when other drivers tyres ahead are wearing off. 

Also, can anyone remember the last time Max has had a bad start in a race? He always gets off well from the start. This a weakness of Norris he needs to work on.

9 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Yep, drivers have to pitch in on decisions. Is a skill Lewis also has used well over the years. He's ignored instructions to pit and made his own calls which more often were right. Some of the drivers know when other drivers tyres ahead are wearing off. 

Also, can anyone remember the last time Max has had a bad start in a race? He always gets off well from the start. This a weakness of Norris he needs to work on.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Bono actually asked Lewis about the Intermediates and the latter said no, it's too dry. Turned out to have been the right call because Pérez and Leclerc saw their races killed by swapping to Intermediates at that point.

I feel like Max, Lewis and Carlos Sainz stand out as 'strategist racers'. George Russell also has this impulse, but he often still goes for risky, all-or-nothing gambits that end up being nothing.

Just now, Panflute said:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Bono actually asked Lewis about the Intermediates and the latter said no, it's too dry. Turned out to have been the right call because Pérez and Leclerc saw their races killed by swapping to Intermediates at that point.

I feel like Max, Lewis and Carlos Sainz stand out as 'strategist racers'. George Russell also has this impulse, but he often still goes for risky, all-or-nothing gambits that end up being nothing.

George is young and will learn. Piastri needs to work on his tyre management still. He loves wearing them out in the first stint.

Charles has beautiful hair.

1 minute ago, MUFC said:

George is young and will learn. Piastri needs to work on his tyre management still. He loves wearing them out in the first stint.

Charles has beautiful hair.

Piastri was on point today though, he just got screwed by strategy. If I'm not mistaken, he was within DRS range of Lando before the latter pitted.

George is doing absolutely fine this season. He got outdriven by Lewis in the rain but was on point otherwise. Just super unlucky with his DNF. Still, I do believe that Mercedes can trust him to be their main driver after this season, which is apparently something that's still being questioned. If Max goes to Mercedes, though, I doubt it will end well for George.

9 hours ago, Panflute said:

Piastri was on point today though, he just got screwed by strategy. If I'm not mistaken, he was within DRS range of Lando before the latter pitted.

George is doing absolutely fine this season. He got outdriven by Lewis in the rain but was on point otherwise. Just super unlucky with his DNF. Still, I do believe that Mercedes can trust him to be their main driver after this season, which is apparently something that's still being questioned. If Max goes to Mercedes, though, I doubt it will end well for George.

They were good but are still young. As time goes on they'll improve in various areas. I suppose that's how it is with most things in life.

Am a huge Lewis fan. With no race no for a couple of weeks. I hope every F1 site doesn't suck the life out of his victory with daily stories on his win.

23 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Am a huge Lewis fan. With no race no for a couple of weeks. I hope every F1 site doesn't suck the life out of his victory with daily stories on his win.

Tip: Don't go to PlanetF1. 😆

• The topic was unpinned