talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alessandro Lucarelli. A True Club Legend...

Just been reading about this players incredible journey and personal sacrifice for Parma...

I must admit that I had never heard about him before I came across this story but what a player and what a person he must be, His drive, passion and loyalty over those 10 years must have been absolutely huge... A true selfless professional... 

Here is the story for anyone that does not know it.. Its well worth a read

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/alessandro-lucarellis-lasting-relationship-with-promoted/g0a86z9uk6tr1ajrcmng6g5lm

Don't click the link to the speech it does not work but this is what he said during a play off match against Alessandria... 

'This is everything we are: suffering, fear, sweat, sacrifice, everything that took us to play this game right now,' the captain told his players. 'Serie B is out there. 90 minutes in which we must give everything we’ve got. 

'Every ounce of energy, we’ve got to give it today. And where we can’t reach with our legs, we’ll reach with our hearts. Because we deserve it. We are a real group. We’ve eaten s*** all year to get here and we must prove them all wrong.

'There is one more thing. I don’t know if I’ll have the opportunity to try again, so you need to do me a favour. Today, you need to take me into Serie B. One for all! All for one!' Inspired by their captain's words, Parma won 2-0 to earn promotion to Serie B and Lucarelli was persuaded to return for one final season at the age of 40. 

Another summer overhaul meant he was now the last man standing from their Serie A days, Parma were tipped to finish mid-table in Serie B and began with a run of three wins from their opening nine matches. But they soon rallied behind Lucarelli. From centre back he scored three times in six matches as their form dramatically improved and sparked a promotion push.

A run of eight victories from 11 games saw Parma enter the final game of the season at Spezia needing a win and other results to go their way to go up automatically. Parma were 2-0 up with goals either side of half-time from Fabio Ceravolo and Amato Ciciretti but still needed Frosinone, 2-1 up against Foggia, to drop points as they entered the closing stages. 

An almighty roar erupted from the travelling support - Frosinone had conceded an 89th-minute equaliser cuing wild celebrations at La Spezia. Parma had become the first team in the modern era to win three successive promotions. 

An emotional Lucarelli, his arm inked with a tattoo of his captain's armband, was reduced to tears as he was lifted by his adoring team-mates. His journey from the bottom to the top was complete.

This is what he had to say after they gained Promotion back to Serie A

'I've been thinking about these days for a long time, I've been hugging Parma for 10 long years, giving myself and maybe even more,' Lucarelli told supporters gathered for Parma's promotion party. 'In Serie A now, our goal has been achieved. 

'But the story I have written is with you. The promise I had made to you three years ago has been kept. There is no way you can repay me and make me more proud than this incredible achievement.' 

The have now retired the number 6 shirt, the first time the club has ever done that for a Parma player after he finally hung up his boots age 41

Lucarelli is adored by the supporters having stuck with the club through their bankruptcy

Respect!! They sure as hell don't make them like that anymore.... 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember him at Livorno and he was great back then. He was something special for them, seems like a player that makes a connection with the clubs he's done well at. And those are the players the fans like the best, for sure, because they are the ones who feel most similarly about the club as the fans.

Archived