A must win for Austria. Hope for the following lineup:

------------------------Schlager

------------Dragovic-Hinteregger-Posch

Lainer-------------------------------------------------Alaba

-----------------Grillitsch-----Laimer

Lazaro-----------------------------------------Arnautovic

----------------------Hinterseer

• Subscriber

2-0 for Austria in HT (goals by Arnautovic and Sabitzer) but it doesn't reflect the game well. If it wasn't for the Latvian keeper the scoreline would look very different as Austria have been the only ones playing football here... Plenty of good chances; hope for more goals in the second half. 

• Subscriber

6-0 FT :banana:31 shots on goal for Austria vs. 1 for Latvia; feel sorry for them. Will be interesting to see how Austria fare against better teams in the group though. Laimer man of the match for me with two assists and a goal.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

6-0 FT :banana:31 shots on goal for Austria vs. 1 for Latvia; feel sorry for them. Will be interesting to see how Austria fare against better teams in the group though. Laimer man of the match for me with two assists and a goal.

6-0 is a great result for Austria. Latvia are not world beaters, but they have always been a tough team to play against. That huge scoreline would suggest to me that Austria seem to be on the right path right now.

I have always been a big fan of Laimer, so I am not surprised that he played very well in this match.

• Subscriber
Just now, Michael said:

6-0 is a great result for Austria. Latvia are not world beaters, but they have always been a tough team to play against. That huge scoreline would suggest to me that Austria seem to be on the right path right now.

I have always been a big fan of Laimer, so I am not surprised that he played very well in this match.

They have been a tough team to play against in the past; now they are just very very poor... Can't even hold the ball for longer than 10 seconds and even defending with all 10 men they leave way too much space for the opposition; really atrocious. It was a walk in a park for Austria and the only reason they didn't score more was the Latvian keeper as well as the fact that the Austrians tried to play the ball into the net most of the time. 

Definitely a great result for Austria though and I agree that they are on the right path but Poland next week will be a very different match.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

They have been a tough team to play against in the past; now they are just very very poor... Can't even hold the ball for longer than 10 seconds and even defending with all 10 men they leave way too much space for the opposition; really atrocious. It was a walk in a park for Austria and the only reason they didn't score more was the Latvian keeper as well as the fact that the Austrians tried to play the ball into the net most of the time. 

Definitely a great result for Austria though and I agree that they are on the right path but Poland next week will be a very different match.

Fair enough, Latvia seem to be going through a tough time then now. The last I saw them play was an away match against Kazakhstan which I think ended in a draw. Kazakhstan is never an easy place to go, I thought they did well then. But that was like half a year ago, so they may well have gone down hill since then.

There seem to be plenty of quality players in Austria's squad, so maybe they can finally do something again in international football. The young players in the Austrian team look as good as the Herzog's and the Polster's of the past. I know Xaver Schlager and Hannes Wolf were both injured for this match, but they are two young players I have been very impressed with. There are plenty of other quality Austrian players, so I think that with their depth, this team can perhaps finally do some great things at international level. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Michael said:

Fair enough, Latvia seem to be going to a tough time then now. The last I saw them play was an away match against Kazakhstan which I think ended in a draw, Kazakhstan is never an easy place to go, I thought they did well then. But that was like half a year ago, so they may well have gone down hill since then.

There seem to be plenty of quality players in Austria's squad, so maybe they can finally do something again in international football. The young players in the Austrian team look as good as the Herzog's and the Polster's of the past. I know Xaver Schlager and Hannes Wolf were both injured for this match, but they are two young players I have been very impressed with. There are plenty of other quality Austrian players, so I think that with their depth, this team can perhaps finally do some great things at international level. 

Hannes Wolf is an exceptional talent. Was really gutted to see him pick up that horrific injury while playing for the U21; it was horrible and will keep him sidelined for many months - hopefully he manages to fully recover and make his comeback. Alexander Schlager is a very talented keeper and I wonder for how long LASK will be able to keep him. Posch and Lienhart in defence, Laimer and Schaub in midfield, Lazaro on the wing; all under 23 years old and already playing at a very high standard. Then there are the likes of Wöber, Schmid, Lovric, Danso, Raguz, Baumgartner who are even younger and look to have good chances at a very solid career.

Austria also has so many upcoming talents within their youth ranks; with the right development they should have a very strong squad in about 4-5 years when most of them mature and get some experience in top leagues. Demir, Ballo, Daniliuc, Wunsch, Huskovic, Babuscu look especially exciting.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Are you part Austrian?

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Hannes Wolf is an exceptional talent. Was really gutted to see him pick up that horrific injury while playing for the U21; it was horrible and will keep him sidelined for many months - hopefully he manages to fully recover and make his comeback. Alexander Schlager is a very talented keeper and I wonder for how long LASK will be able to keep him. Posch and Lienhart in defence, Laimer and Schaub in midfield, Lazaro on the wing; all under 23 years old and already playing at a very high standard. Then there are the likes of Wöber, Schmid, Lovric, Danso, Raguz, Baumgartner who are even younger and look to have good chances at a very solid career.

Austria also has so many upcoming talents within their youth ranks; with the right development they should have a very strong squad in about 4-5 years when most of them mature and get some experience in top leagues. Demir, Ballo, Daniliuc, Wunsch, Huskovic, Babuscu look especially exciting.

Hannes Wolf does indeed look like an exceptional talent, lets hope that he is the same player he was once he returns from injury. Alexander Schlager does look like he might be first choice goalkeeper for Austria in the future. Austria haven't had a great goalkeeper for a while, but he has the potential to become a great consistent goalkeeper.

As you have mentioned, there are loads of very talented Austrian youngsters around at the moment. There are so many good Austrian footballers around right now that even players like Schopf, Prodl and Wober can't even make the squad of 23 players. While a player like Wimmer, who once cost Stoke City 20 million Euros in transfer fees from Tottenham, seems like he is not good enough to ever play for the Austrian national team again, given all the talented defenders who are ahead of him in the queue.

But you didn't mention Xaver Schlager, he's another excellent midfielder, he covers every blade of grass and he's one of the most hard working box to box midfielders in the world. Schlager and Wolf would almost always start in the Austrian national team if I was the manager. They are two awesome midfielders.

• Subscriber

Yeah a good game by Austria so far although the Poles created quite a few dangerous chances on a counter as well. Stankovic's save against Glik in the first half was class. Posch & Dragovic did well to keep Lewandowski in check.

• Subscriber

A dominating performance but sadly no goals. The upcoming quali matches against Israel and Slovenia will be the deciding ones but it's definitely a good chance for Austria to qualify and the way they play is also encouraging.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived