• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester City 1-3 Leeds - Sunday 31st January, 2021

football forums

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sky Sports Leeds will be fucking delighted. Souness can't get further up their arses if he tried xD

Regardless he needs to keep putting the effort in and seeing if he can get further up there... It's what Leeds deserve after that fantastic performance

Chuffed to bits with that. Nice to beat a 'Top 6 club' finally as we have been pretty slated previously for it. Admittedly, I thought we'd be the one's getting tonked 3-1 if anything.

Thought we thoroughly deserved it unlike in the week at Newcastle. We played really well despite going a goal down and all three goals were quality goals today. Defensively was much better today too, a big plus for us.

To tell you the truth, I was disappointed to go in 1-1 at HT. I thought we should have been 3-1 up then. Really went at Leicester and cur them open but Kasper was in fine form.

Credit to Leicester, tweaked their system 2nd half and we found it hard to get the ball. Had to be patient and a bit strict with ourselves but we saw out that awkward period and the Bamford goal really knocked the stuffing out of them. I said earlier in the thread he was due so glad he obliged.

Such a shame again to lose injuries. Rodrigo early doors but Raphinha is massive. He looks such a lovely player for this league and fingers crossed it's nothing too major because we can't replace that quality.

Onwards and upwards though.

Leicester are the only team in the top 4 I could see arsenal catching. I like Leicester they are probably my second favoured team but I want them to loose at the moment. Still dont think we will get top 4 but if we do I can only see it being at Leicester's expense

53 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Done well today, one goal and two assists for him.. 

Yeah, he needed that.

I think Bielsa played a brilliant card on Tuesday taking him off early after Newcastle scored. He was shocking and had hit a mini slump in performances.

That sub spoke volumes. It really woke him up. He said post match today he had to perform as he let us down the last few games performance wise, so pleased for him.

Not bad for someone who sometimes looks like he couldn't hit a barn door xD

• Subscriber

God that was shit. We just cannot shake this tendency to drop a solid 2/10 performance at home. It's always the teams who get in our face as well. I really think if you take Ndidi out we lack so much in midfield, he's the glue that holds it all together, the shield that protects us. We were just blunt, second best for large parts of the first half and never really threatened in the second. Perez absolutely garbage. Maddison's worst game in ages as well. Just a poor game all-round from us, very little to be positive about. We were well beaten.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Leicester are the only team in the top 4 I could see arsenal catching. I like Leicester they are probably my second favoured team but I want them to loose at the moment. Still dont think we will get top 4 but if we do I can only see it being at Leicester's expense

It's the previous of us really tailing off. I do think that might be at the back of some minds - though the fact we blew a top 4 place last year was unbelievable, it wasn't even entertained this time a year ago that we could and we did. I think we'll probably end up about 6th in the end, which I'd have taken in the summer.

Our home form has cost us a title bid, though our away form has probably saved us from being relegation outsiders. Five home defeats already and not a single one to anybody that great.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

God that was shit. We just cannot shake this tendency to drop a solid 2/10 performance at home. It's always the teams who get in our face as well. I really think if you take Ndidi out we lack so much in midfield, he's the glue that holds it all together, the shield that protects us. We were just blunt, second best for large parts of the first half and never really threatened in the second. Perez absolutely garbage. Maddison's worst game in ages as well. Just a poor game all-round from us, very little to be positive about. We were well beaten.

I was going to say. It's renown we don't have the greatest record defensively but even we looked relatively comfortable at the back today. I think he made things far too easy for us.

This is the problem though when you don't have Vardy and it's one you really have to try find a solution for soon too.

As each season passes, Vardy is getting a year older and picking up more knocks. You need to find your future striker because I'd hazard a guess the stats say when he does miss a game, you don't often win.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I was going to say. It's renown we don't have the greatest record defensively but even we looked relatively comfortable at the back today. I think he made things far too easy for us.

This is the problem though when you don't have Vardy and it's one you really have to try find a solution for soon too.

As each season passes, Vardy is getting a year older and picking up more knocks. You need to find your future striker because I'd hazard a guess the stats say when he does miss a game, you don't often win.

I'm amazed the club haven't foreseen replacing Vardy before this season. Perez and Iheanacho, try as they might, aren't the answer and haven't really ever shown they are, even if they do perform well every now and then.

Perez just isn't the lone striker to play in any kind of game. Your defence had it easy because he would come deep as he is used to, therefore occupying the space Maddison likes to flourish in. And in doing that, it dragged more Leeds players in that area of the pitch meaning it was easy to get close to Maddison and stop him. Perez works fine with a strike partner. He likes to just sit off the main striker so that he can link-up with the midfield and have another player to link up with going forward and in the box.

We didn't move the ball quick enough today though apart from for the goal we scored - you guys pressed and pressed and pressed. And in that, we didn't get Barnes running at you enough. Your energy levels are ridiculous. In the 2nd half, there were moments where Barnes was covered by about 4 Leeds players so Bielsa clearly saw him as our main threat and tried to stop that, which you did. I think I saw after the game that you've outrun every opponent in the Premier League this season, apart from Southampton. And that's only cos you haven't played them yet xD. It seriously hampered us so to your credit, it just made you want to win the game more. Can't knock that really. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm amazed the club haven't foreseen replacing Vardy before this season. Perez and Iheanacho, try as they might, aren't the answer and haven't really ever shown they are, even if they do perform well every now and then.

Perez just isn't the lone striker to play in any kind of game. Your defence had it easy because he would come deep as he is used to, therefore occupying the space Maddison likes to flourish in. And in doing that, it dragged more Leeds players in that area of the pitch meaning it was easy to get close to Maddison and stop him. Perez works fine with a strike partner. He likes to just sit off the main striker so that he can link-up with the midfield and have another player to link up with going forward and in the box.

We didn't move the ball quick enough today though apart from for the goal we scored - you guys pressed and pressed and pressed. And in that, we didn't get Barnes running at you enough. Your energy levels are ridiculous. In the 2nd half, there were moments where Barnes was covered by about 4 Leeds players so Bielsa clearly saw him as our main threat and tried to stop that, which you did. I think I saw after the game that you've outrun every opponent in the Premier League this season, apart from Southampton. And that's only cos you haven't played them yet xD. It seriously hampered us so to your credit, it just made you want to win the game more. Can't knock that really. 

Cheers, I don't think that's always picked up on but there are times when the fitness levels prevail. They were like a pack of Wolves today, really on it.

I thought you might play Barnes up front actually and have that Under in his position out wide. On reflection, I think that would have caused us no end of trouble with their movement and speed.

What was pleasing for me is you are the first team we have played twice this season. That first game against you we were absolutely tonked and deservedly beat. But also that day, we didn't have Phillips, Raphinha, Rodrigo plus two players out of position. So the improvement from that is really good to see, shows we are learning.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Cheers, I don't think that's always picked up on but there are times when the fitness levels prevail.

I thought you might play Barnes up front actually and have that Under in his position out wide. On reflection, I think that would have caused us no end of trouble with their movement and speed.

What was pleasing for me is you are the first team we have played twice this season. That first game against you we were absolutely tonked and deservedly beat. But also that day, we didn't have Phillips, Raphinha, Rodrigo plus two players out of position. So the improvement from that is really good to see, shows we are learning.

We shifted in the 2nd half so Barnes was slightly more central and went to a back 3. It did stifle you a little but once you'd got hold of it, it became a bit ineffective and then you got your 2nd goal which killed it. I'm not sure that's Barnes' best position though. With his back to goal it's nowhere near as effective as being able to be more direct by running at your defence. We only moved him centrally to give Perez some more support and to accommodate the change in shape in defence & midfield. 

As strongly as we started after HT, we didn't capitalise and I actually said to my dad it's gonna be that kind of game where we are stronger but Leeds only need one attack and they'll score. And that's exactly what happened! 

As for the difference before the game, it's partly why I wasn't so confident - those 3 players made/make such a difference. Phillips' positioning and presence as well as Rodrigo/Raphinha's creativity was clearly missed back in November. Couple that with Ndidi and Vardy missing and it was going to be difficult for us. Two massive threats out and we are immediately significantly weaker. Like Wolves without Jimenez, it's as if teams don't fear them any more. Vardy not being on a teamsheet is already a psychological advantage for opposition.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I find myself struggling to see what we were thinking a bit with Perez. He's never held down a place in any position and even now we're still debating where's his best position actually is. Looks lost on the wing, looks lost up front, has played a few games at number 10 but I'm not totally sure that's where his best position is either, and if it is then he's certainly not our best in that position. He's forever just looked a bit lost for us. Lacks tenacity, too few redeeming factors in him as a player.

We've known for a long time about Vardy, I'm unsure what they're really planning to do here. It can't be easy recruiting a striker for us knowing that they're going to play second fiddle for an unknown amount of time. At the same time Vardy's done nothing to be replaced yet. I still want Edouard and think he fits the bill in terms of somebody who can come in and rotate with others with a view to eventually leading the line but he might just think he has a better offer than not being guaranteed a start here.

It's hard. We've had a glimpse into post-Vardy life this week and it's not good.

Ndidi as I said prematch would be a huge miss. Mendy isn't even close. Our midfield lacks physicality even with Ndidi in it, without it's a real problem, and I feel we could face problems against Fulham if we named a similar XI.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived