talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League games abroad

On 29/09/2021 at 23:01, Smiley Culture said:

As someone who’s been to the London NFL games, can I decry this as some sort of evil when I’ve been a part of a similar thing, taking the game(s) away from “legacy fans”? 

Were the NFL organisers or even fans against the idea of hosting games abroad. They wanted to export the game? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Were the NFL organisers or even fans against the idea of hosting games abroad. They wanted to export the game? 

Seem to remember a fair few of the Jacksonville Jaguars fans’ on a Jaguars forum I read in the build up to a game I went to weren’t happy at lost games from their season tickets and they certainly weren’t when it looked like they’d lose 25% of the games from their season ticket to London. 

None the less unless there was some kind of deal before hand. NFL games being hosted in London isn't an excuse to do the same with football. A big part of NFL doing that is exporting the game you can't tell me otherwise. EPL doesn't need that it's pure greed. 

49 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Seem to remember a fair few of the Jacksonville Jaguars fans’ on a Jaguars forum I read in the build up to a game I went to weren’t happy at lost games from their season tickets and they certainly weren’t when it looked like they’d lose 25% of the games from their season ticket to London. 

Yeah - most of the matchgoing NFL fans don't really like when/if their sides have to play in London.

37 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

None the less unless there was some kind of deal before hand. NFL games being hosted in London isn't an excuse to do the same with football. A big part of NFL doing that is exporting the game you can't tell me otherwise. EPL doesn't need that it's pure greed. 

The thing about the NFL is the organisation & many of the teams really don't give a fuck about matchgoing fans. There have been 3 big moves in the NFL recently: St. Louis moving their team to LA, San Diego moving their team also to LA (ironically, the Raiders are still the most popular supported team in LA), and Oakland moving to Las Vegas. These moves were REALLY unpopular with matchgoing fans of all of their respective teams.

And genuinely unpopular with loads of NFL fans. But LA getting a world class stadium means more expensive corporate seats sold, and Las Vegas - a city built around tourism - getting an absolutely incredible stadium paid for by the city - that's just a goldmine for the Raiders (who are probably the most popular team on the West coast by some distance and have fans all around the country for some reason that I don't really understand)... and they'll also sell more expensive corporate boxes.

Money talks and the fans opinion to the NFL means absolutely nothing to the league and the team owners.

Archived