• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Luiz Signs New Contract

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Legend. Love him to bits. 

Can already tell he will be the type of defender that gets better with age and experience. Conte has done a remarkable job re-defining him in this sweeper role. Can see him operating there for several more years. Hell, even Brazil should consider reverting to three at the back to get the best out of Luiz. 

David Luiz is a technical defender, which was something people already knew.  A player where in a traditional 4-4-2 system for some reason lost concentration which would lead to errors.  I was a massive critic of his to be honest because that was all anyone had to go on and anyone else saying they rated him as a centre-back at the time will be lying through their teeth.

He can thank Antonio Conte for everything he's achieved this season because he's been absolutely amazing at the back and excelled in Conte's particular way of playing the 3 at the back system.  I rate him highly now as do many and with this has made himself one of the top defenders around at the moment because in modern day football at the highest levels a centre-back needs to be more than just a gimp that can tackle like a nutter.  He has to know what to do with the ball which is something David Luiz has always had.

17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

David Luiz is a technical defender, which was something people already knew.  A player where in a traditional 4-4-2 system for some reason lost concentration which would lead to errors.  I was a massive critic of his to be honest because that was all anyone had to go on and anyone else saying they rated him as a centre-back at the time will be lying through their teeth.

He can thank Antonio Conte for everything he's achieved this season because he's been absolutely amazing at the back and excelled in Conte's particular way of playing the 3 at the back system.  I rate him highly now as do many and with this has made himself one of the top defenders around at the moment because in modern day football at the highest levels a centre-back needs to be more than just a gimp that can tackle like a nutter.  He has to know what to do with the ball which is something David Luiz has always had.

I said when we re-signed him mate, he'd have the potential to be a great signing and he's never been as bad as people made out. I don't like how people say he couldn't play in a four man defence as the truth is he was our best centre back for the first two seasons in his first spell at Chelsea and in his last period/season of that spell he struggled in that position. Nevertheless, he was one of our best big game players in defensive midfield under Mourinho. Also not forgetting the Confederations Cup with Brazil in 2013 in which he was fantastic at centre back in a four man defence as well.

Of course the system and management has helped him become a better player I'm not denying that, Luiz is at home in this system but it's worked wonders for every player and I think a part from Hazard and Matic every player has had a better season than the last title winning season. In all honesty, I think Luiz's form has dipped as the season has gone on and his biggest weakness is his eagerness to get to the ball which can catch him out at times,  he needs to stand off a bit more. For the majority though, he's been fantastic and I say his form has dipped towards the end but I remember matches like Stoke away and Spurs in the semi final where he was an absolute man mountain.

Above all, Luiz's season is a victory against those old school British defenders and players who are now pundits, 'clear your lines', 'a defender firstly must know how to defend', the likes of Neville,  Dixon,  Alan Hansen,  Souness etc. Bobby Moore was the best defender this country has ever produced and he wasn't only an immaculate defender but a fantastic footballer as well.

On the re-signing of Luiz.

To be accused of "lying through their teeth " suits me fine as I was firmly a strong fan of David even when tosspot Neville made his TV name with a off the cuff remark about play stations, which lead the weak minded to pencil Luiz as a poorer player than he actually was.

In my opinion, as much as he has excelled in a 3 and those of a weak mind have put his whole improvement down to the manager change of system, for me its a much more simple change of attitude by David.

During his first period at Chelsea it seemed to me he felt whenever he had possession of the ball, be it won from an opposition player or even just receiving the ball from a team mate, he had to do something positive with the ball. Almost Brazilian like, move past \ beat a player make something of the ball.

It would often get him in trouble and I feel it was these occasions Neville was getting at.

On his return you can see a change in his attitude. No longer winning the ball n trying to make something of it every time. A much more no nonsense clear the ball into the crowd, dare I say it..... A much more English style of defending.

I believe his experience of being here before and now understanding a more basic style of defending is more than adequate here, makes his job far more simple.

Obviously he has to keep his discipline, something up to now he has done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, like all other Chelsea fans I am very proud of the club in how they have put last seasons efforts behind us and taken back the top prize.

With a deep breath n sigh one wonders what the F*** went on last season and  will we ever hear the truth behind Jose departure?

I truly hope the club dig deep and invest in this squad something we have failed to do the previous 4 times we have been in this position. When you read the manager's new contract will also offer him 200M to invest in new players AND have more of a say in who we bring in, (Makes you wonder how much say he had in Luiz and Alonso if this is the case) has me thinking its more likely to be players who will fit his preferred style of set up over those huge names who arrive for mega money. The decision on Costa needs to be made very early which I think it will be as the Chinese season will be about 10-12 games in by the end of ours. For me its a case of take the money and run if the amounts being spouted are true for Costa. Yeah I am nervous on the return of Lukaku, but the boy is Blue and really wants to lead our line. I happen to think the manager may well tweak it next season by playing someone up top more often with the CF, something he did at Juventus. We shall see.

All the young players we have out on loan there is a hope one or two will make the squad next season. I am told they will all return for preseason tours and training and given the chance to impress. Plenty of stories of some of them not wanting to return, happy at the lower level allowing them to get lots of game time. I can understand that and if proven to be true, they should be offloaded as sweeteners in deals for players good enough to play for our first team. Of the players out on loan the two I would like to see in the squad for next season are Bertrand Traoré and Tomas Kalas. Kalas now has 4 seasons, 2 each playing in the English & Dutch leagues n looks a much more battle hardened defender. If he was left footed I believe he would be a shoe-in for the squad and never let us down up at Slippy G's sad moment. Traore was unlucky not to stick around and I am sure there are more than a few people at the club scratching their head watching Mitchy each day and then seeing Bertrand ripping it up in Holland.

Anyway, it all points to the summer being as interesting as the old season for us Chelsea fans. It will be super interesting what they decide to do.... I just hope this time.... THEY INVEST IN A PREMIER LEAGUE WINNING TEAM!

Archived