talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Idrissa Gueye - Everton Re-Sign Midfielder from PSG

• Subscriber

Nothing quite like taking three years to replace a player and then replacing them with themselves but 32 instead of 29.

Best be a good value deal at this age because we're likely only getting a season or two out of him. He would genuinely improve our midfield options which is another indictment of the club's recent direction.

I honestly thought after selling Richarlison we wouldn't have to be going to our 3rd or 4th choice players for each the positions we need to fill. Last summer we barely spent either. I have no idea how long it takes for us to get some wriggle room with financial fair play so it's hard to judge how much of these types of deals we should be putting up with. If we're going to pay £8m for Gueye as a stop gap then have the money to recruit players properly next summer then fine. If the next signing needs to do us for longer than that then you can't really be too happy about it.

We have no midfielders who can break up play very well though so if this is what we're able to pull off in the transfer market then beggars can't be choosers.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 28/07/2022 at 22:06, The Palace Fan said:

Each to there own but no matter how good he is I wouldn't want anybody with his attitude towards the LGBTQ+ community anywhere near my football club.

What did he even do?

• Subscriber

Looks like this will get concluded soon.

On the rainbow thing, I'm not defending the views he's presumably got, but I can't see any evidence that he's expressed those publicly or, vitally, abused or discriminated against anyone from the LGBT+ community. If you think there aren't any players at most teams who aren't fully behind taking the knee, rainbow laces, whatever, I think you're pretty naive to be honest. There are dozens of players who come from Senegal and other countries where they're raised with these beliefs (and yes, I'm sure someone's going to pop up and "get me" with an example of a Senegalese player from their club who's an absolute stand up ambassador for equal rights). You can't educate everyone (although you should continue to try) but I don't really think we should just bar people from football clubs because of what they've been raised to believe. That could just as easily have been one of us if we were born in Senegal or somewhere like it.

Anyway, reading the story it looks like two things have made it into an issue. PSG or Poch seemingly making it a requirement to wear the rainbow in order to play. These things need to be voluntary. And the other guy who posted on social media calling him a "real man". That guy is the one I have a bigger issue with and actually he seems to be the one responsible for drawing attention to the whole thing.

To clarify, nothing but solidarity to the LGBT+ community, the law regarding gay rights in that country and many others is absolutely abhorrent. But I'm not having it insinuated that it's a negative reflection on Everton to sign a player who has never expressed these views publicly. I'd suggest we all keep things sensible here and don't turn this into a tribal points scoring exercise because there are countless, countless examples of other clubs who have persisted with players who have actually said or done much worse things in the public eye that their fans have defended, I don't want to be the one who opens that can of worms.

Awaiting bombardment...

25 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Looks like this will get concluded soon.

On the rainbow thing, I'm not defending the views he's presumably got, but I can't see any evidence that he's expressed those publicly or, vitally, abused or discriminated against anyone from the LGBT+ community. If you think there aren't any players at most teams who aren't fully behind taking the knee, rainbow laces, whatever, I think you're pretty naive to be honest. There are dozens of players who come from Senegal and other countries where they're raised with these beliefs (and yes, I'm sure someone's going to pop up and "get me" with an example of a Senegalese player from their club who's an absolute stand up ambassador for equal rights). You can't educate everyone (although you should continue to try) but I don't really think we should just bar people from football clubs because of what they've been raised to believe. That could just as easily have been one of us if we were born in Senegal or somewhere like it.

Anyway, reading the story it looks like two things have made it into an issue. PSG or Poch seemingly making it a requirement to wear the rainbow in order to play. These things need to be voluntary. And the other guy who posted on social media calling him a "real man". That guy is the one I have a bigger issue with and actually he seems to be the one responsible for drawing attention to the whole thing.

To clarify, nothing but solidarity to the LGBT+ community, the law regarding gay rights in that country and many others is absolutely abhorrent. But I'm not having it insinuated that it's a negative reflection on Everton to sign a player who has never expressed these views publicly. I'd suggest we all keep things sensible here and don't turn this into a tribal points scoring exercise because there are countless, countless examples of other clubs who have persisted with players who have actually said or done much worse things in the public eye that their fans have defended, I don't want to be the one who opens that can of worms.

Awaiting bombardment...

Wasn't it the ex-Napoli, current-Chelsea defender Koulibaly that made the "real man" comment? I think it was also a French league requirement, not just PSG (but I'm not sure) - but I'm sure it's uncomfortable for players who are asked to support something they don't necessarily agree with.

It seems that many Senegalese players are very devout Muslims and as such... the homophobia does tend to follow. I think it's sad to see, but I'm not sure it's all that much different from the players and fans that refused to take a knee in support of equality between black people and white people. There's ignorance everywhere, even in Europe, and of course many footballers are going to have ignorant and even backward views on issues about things like human rights.

I do think players coming forward about being against human rights for gay people (and all the others included with pride) is a bit... stupid. Especially if you're playing in countries where equality for people regardless of their sexual preference or gender identity is the normal... it's just bad PR that's going to get pressure put onto your back. But it's not like he's going to be the first homophobic or racist player to ever play at a premier league club.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with having him represent my club... but he's just one member of a squad and you can support your side without really liking certain individuals in that side. And it's not like it means Everton hate gay people now. Seems like... just don't buy a kit with his name on the back and don't be a homophobe and say things like "I like him as a player, but I don't like his personal views" (which is something I've said about some Liverpool players in the past tbh).

We've seen before with Vardy and Suarez (and the mysterious England defender that Rio Ferdinand said was a "known racist)... even players that have demonstrated open racism can still be beloved, at least in a footballing sense, even if those fans aren't inclined to be racist like those players.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Idrissa Gueye - Everton Re-Sign Midfielder from PSG

Archived