talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

100 Greatest Footballers of all Time

football forum

I really don't think you can compare footballers from different generations. I mean a player from the 70s would be knackered after 20 minutes in now days

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I really don't think you can compare footballers from different generations. I mean a player from the 70s would be knackered after 20 minutes in now days

But then again the physical play was morr permitting back then where tackles were nothing like today. Also add the fact pitches were absolutely terrible as was all the paraphernalia the players would use compared to today.  

38 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But then again the physical play was morr permitting back then where tackles were nothing like today. Also add the fact pitches were absolutely terrible as was all the paraphernalia the players would use compared to today.  

I think that kind of adds to my point lol 

24 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think that kind of adds to my point lol 

I have no idea what you mean.

Back then you had to be something special. There are documentaries revolving players like Pelé, Eusebio, Maradona, Cruyff, Garrincha, Matthews, Di Stéfano where they were being crucified on the pitch by their man to man markers without the ref lifting an eyelid.

You seem to have misinterpreted what I was telling you. There are pluses and negatives to both eras. You have chosen to finilise by saying that modern footballers are superior.   

I didn't say that. I said modern footballers are fitter and that you couldn't compare different generation's. I didn't say which were better

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I didn't say that. I said modern footballers are fitter and that you couldn't compare different generation's. I didn't say which were better

They also wear state of the art scientific sportswear, state of the art made to measure boots, play with a sphere that compared to the one played at the time has only the resemblance of the shape and of course as I said, the rules were more relaxed back then (in some cases practically without punishment) which has led to players being able to express their talents a lot more.

There are arguments for and against in every era...  That's the reason why is't difficult to compare!

So for those that feel that it's the collective honours won with your team that count...

Here's the top 6 footballers of all time then.

1. Ryan Giggs and Dani Alves (36 titles each)
  2. Vítor Baía (35 titles)
  3. Andrés Iniesta and Gary Neville (31 titles)
  4. Xavi and Lionel Messi (30 titles)
  5. Pelé (29 titles)
  6. Kenny Dalglish and Zlatan Ibrahimović (28 titles)

No Maradona, no Cruyff, no Di Stéfano etc...

I agree with you on that.  George Best never played at a major international tournament. Maradonna never won a European cup. Doesn't mean they weren't great players. I dont think what you have won has much baring

32 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I agree with you on that.  George Best never played at a major international tournament. Maradonna never won a European cup. Doesn't mean they weren't great players. I dont think what you have won has much baring

The only bearing winning titles has in terms of individuals is that great players tended (I stress, tended) to play in great teams. Especially in modern football. 

39 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The only bearing winning titles has in terms of individuals is that great players tended (I stress, tended) to play in great teams. Especially in modern football. 

Yeah i agree at club level anyway. But it shouldn't be much of a deciding factor. Gerald never won the league. But he was ten times the player of a lot who did. Same with Shearer. (At Newcastle)

Archived