talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2023/24 - 3-4th October, 2023

football forum

• Subscriber

I think we've got a lot of circumstances in our favour. Great squad for this level, had money to spend, but I have to say for such a rookie manager Maresca really is doing a great job, he's got this team so well organised in such a short space of time. You only have to look at the other two who went down to see that it isn't necessarily plain sailing, and while I do think we have a better squad than both of those two, we're making this look so simple to a point it feels almost unrewarding.

I have to say, and I was extremely scathing of the club last season but it does feel they've got the recruitment of both manager and players spot on this year. It feels like there's a cohesive plan at last. You can see the purpose with each signing.

I'm interested to find out what our ceiling is under Maresca. I think he will go far, I just hope we come with him.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It just highlights how poor you were last season to even be in this position.

Said at the time it's the worst relegation ever. This season has only served to back it up.

There are 3 usual type paths relegated sides follow:

A) immediate bounce back (Burnley, Newcastle)

B) perhaps 2 or 3 seasons, within parachute payments return (Villa)

C) a long time away (Forest, last time Leeds, Blackburn, Coventry)

Not much question for me that Leicester probably are the worst (or best!) set of players to go down that I can think of. And I date back to the 90's. 'Big' clubs may have gone in the past, but was usually after quality players had been gradually replaced with youth & average journeymen. Yet Leicester have kept so many who took them to European competition, quite recently, and it seems to be helping make them to be one of the genuinely best Championship sides for a while.

Leeds & Southampton are still in contention. But, Leicester have kept players, with no noises, at least that I've heard, Gnonto style wanting out. And added Winks & Coady. I'll assume they are doing ok. And would not have been too bad in a number of Premier League teams & squads. Should be able to be part of an increasingly likely looking re-establishing season 2024/25.

In a few years, it just might confirm Leicester as being part of the 'big clubs' group not quite considered part of the big 6. Probably just would have been more fun doing it the Newcastle way, with all the Almiron style over-performances fuelled by money dreams.

On 04/10/2023 at 04:54, Dan said:

Ipswich are the real deal aren't they? They must be absolutely buzzing after two decades of utter drabness. 

I was told that when Palace were in the feeler stage in April after Vieira was sacked, he was a gamble that was being considered as a summer appointment.

I'd happily take him or Steve Cooper next season providing they'd have a transfer budget that's reflective of a top half Premier League club.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Let's be fair, it was more than parachute payments that got Villa up. Whoever lost that playoff final was in for serious hard times.

Yes, there were a few dodgy patches. I can remember Steve Bruce having to do interviews when there was real, genuine, concern the club could have gone into administration & whatever happens. I think it was July 2018 when NSWE (Nassef Sawiris & Was Edens) bought the club. I was initially worried when one of the first things they did to inject money was to purchase the stadium. Having seen what's gone on with Coventry for a number of years. But, been a nice coincidence that things have generally improved on the pitch, and they have seemed like an upgrade on the other owners since the days of Doug Ellis.

It was more high profile when Newcastle improved after Steve Bruce left, but it had kind of happened with Villa & Dean Smith too.