talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Win The League!

football forum

Just now, Goku de la Boca said:

Anyways like I said jokes aside, Uruguay has had something like 4 winners ever. Now that I have an excuse to shoehorn in South American football without clickbait, fair play to them. Big achievement.

Aren't there only like 6 teams in Uraguay anyway?

Just now, Whiskey said:

Aren't there only like 6 teams in Uraguay anyway?

The league used to be tiny and almost exclusively Montevideo based, but these days it's much bigger. Now it has 16 teams and some from outside the capital like Boston River (team where Ronald Araujo came from) and Deportivo Maldonado who had their stadium used for the Sudamericana final.

When I as a teenager I only recall Plaza Colonia being from the outskirts. Now it's more decentralized. Anyways my memory failed me and more teams have won it besides those 2, but almost all of them back in the 1930's. Uruguay is one of the pioneers of the sport so it doesn't surprise me it was in Sheffield FC times.

Danubio and Defensor Sporting had won a title or 2 in modern times but it is almost always the big dogs that take it. I can't think of any league as one sided as them. Maybe Scotland or Croatia.