talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hull Sack Liam Rosenior

• Administrator

Seems harsh on the face of it.

Took them to the brink of play-offs. They were 21st when he took over in Nov 2022 so that's quite an improvement in 18 months...

Hull City have sacked head coach Liam Rosenior, Sky Sports News understands. 

The 39-year-old became the boss at the MKM Stadium in November 2022.

He recently signed a new three-year contract in December 2023, which would have kept him at the club until 2026.

Sky Sports News has contacted the club for comment.

Plymouth defeated Hull 1-0 on the final day to retain their Championship status in a result which simultaneously ended the Tigers' play-off hopes.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11714/13131088/hull-city-sack-manager-liam-rosenior-after-tigers-miss-out-on-championship-play-offs

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Seems so fucking stupid, their highest points tally in 7 years, clear improvement in the playing staff, quality of football, points on the board.

I remember the season we went up and what I noticed was the difference from the season we lost to Fulham was we drew more of the games we would have lost and won more of the games we would have drawn from the season before. I don’t see how that type of improvement isn’t something Rosenior could do.

Edited by Danny

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Danny said:

Seems so fucking stupid, their highest points tally in 7 years, clear improvement in the playing staff, quality of football, points on the board.

I remember the season we went up and what I noticed was the difference from the season we lost to Fulham was we drew more of the games we would have lost and won more of the games we would have drawn from the season before. I don’t see how that type of improvement isn’t something Rosenior could do.

Bizarre isn't it? 

It's like Hull's owners are playing FM - just because he didn't reach a target (promotion?) he's deemed to have 'failed' despite getting them on to a positive trajectory. 

Along with a couple of other teams already, I'd have had them up for top 6 next season. They play some decent and attractive football and have no problem scoring goals.  

I do think it's harsh for sure. The thing is though, the owners will say he's been backed. And when you have ambitious owners like they do, the line is thin between success and failure.

They started off the season buying a few players, most notably Philogene from Villa, and then in January, they pushed the boat out by signing Carvalho, Zaroury, Ryan Giles all on expensive loans.

Let's also remember that back in January, they were a point off Sunderland in 6th and 3pts off West Brom in 5th so they were pretty well set but they chucked in some pretty average results.

Did they underperform? Probably. Would be fair to say people would have expected more. They gave themselves too much to do too late really.

But I would say having watched Hull, they went 6 games with no win between February and March and the biggest issue was lack of a finisher. They missed a proper striker in the box. Maybe had Delap been fit that would have done the job.

For me, Rosenier probably came out the season with a 7/10. He's just missed out on the playoffs in what was a very competitive season so I'd have allowed him some grace given how strong the three that came down were.

He won't struggle for a job, infact I'm sure someone will snap him up quick  possibly Sunderland maybe. I do think Hull being Hull, probably have someone lined up and it could be a reasonably big name for the league so we will see.

24 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I do think it's harsh for sure. The thing is though, the owners will say he's been backed. And when you have ambitious owners like they do, the line is thin between success and failure.

Takes me back to Thomas Frank's first full season, £30m spent, had an end of season collapse for the automatics and got beat in the play-off final by Fulham....can't imagine where we'd be now if we had owners like this.

• Subscriber

Usually sympathetic when most sackings are heavily criticised but do think this one is a bit harsh. But then I also think they've invested quite a bit this season, they have quite a formidable attacking team and they were bang average post January despite the Carvalho / Zaroury additions. It's brutal but I can see why their owner is disappointed to not make the top six. Then again, this was a particularly tough year and you'd have backed them to be up there next time out. I'll be intrigued to see who comes in.