talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jordan Ayew - Palace to Leicester

• Administrator

Palace signing decent players while shifting their deadwood. 

I'd like to think we're better than this (in terms of recruitment) but our owners/DOF are so inadequate maybe I expect too much. 

30 goals in over 240 apps in PL. 

Not what we need, and I'd rather spend money on someone that could produce more. Need better than 1 in 8 as that isn't going to keep us up... 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt be dismissive based on goal scoring returns. He's been very good for us over the years and fans will be sad to him go.

Conor Gallagher for example played better for us because of Jordan Ayew. He'd get the ball in a position where he can't travel. He'd play it out wide to Jordan. Jordan would hold up, find the space, and Gallagher is suddenly 15 yards further up the pitch because of Jordan with a free run to cause issues.

Promoted clubs think they need explosive Championship wingers to survive, but in fact players like Jordan who can contribute in a variety of ways throughout are more useful. His off the ball work is magnificent, he can contribute in all phases of play and hes so good at drawing fouls to slow down play. Look how much the United and Liverpool fans here have hated playing against him when they've been chasing a goal against us in the matchday threads. What a guy.

You can figure out in the Palace fanbase who knows there onions based on there opinion of Jordan Ayew. If they don't like him, they probably dont have a knowledge away from FPL, goals and assists.

That said, if you do go down he's probably ourserved his purpose unless he's a squad player.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I wouldnt be dismissive based on goal scoring returns. He's been very good for us over the years and fans will be sad to him go.

Conor Gallagher for example played better for us because of Jordan Ayew. He'd get the ball in a position where he can't travel. He'd play it out wide to Jordan. Jordan would hold up, find the space, and Gallagher is suddenly 15 yards further up the pitch because of Jordan with a free run to cause issues.

Promoted clubs think they need explosive Championship wingers to survive, but in fact players like Jordan who can contribute in a variety of ways throughout are more useful. His off the ball work is magnificent, he can contribute in all phases of play and hes so good at drawing fouls to slow down play. Look how much the United and Liverpool fans here have hated playing against him when they've been chasing a goal against us in the matchday threads. What a guy.

You can figure out in the Palace fanbase who knows there onions based on there opinion of Jordan Ayew. If they don't like him, they probably dont have a knowledge away from FPL, goals and assists.

That said, if you do go down he's probably ourserved his purpose unless he's a squad player.

All fair points and perhaps I'm being too dismissive. And it's not just about wanting explosive Championship wingers. But I'm just thinking it's just not what I expected. Appreciate he's a good holder of the ball and servant and workhorse, so to speak, but I see us needing something more than that right now. 

Not to mention he's 32 and we don't have a good record recently of being shrewd with wages. We'll end up paying him a hefty whack when it could be invested elsewhere. 

• Subscriber

I'm slightly more receptive having read the above but I just don't really see the need in signing both him and Bobby De Cordova-Reid. He's 33 in September and Leicester being Leicester will go and give him a silly contract because our director of football is absolutely hopeless and couldn't sell avocado to a vegan.

If this was a free transfer and we'd not already signed Reid, I'd have gotten it a bit more, but you just know we're going to somehow end up shelling out £6mil and a £10mil contract over three years when we'd never get anything like that for our equivalent.

The direction under Cooper is already worrying me. I think because of Marinakis' behaviour he was given a lot of a pass for their recruitment approach but I'm already seeing that he's going to be quite a costly operation. There's more to football than a sell on fee but we're not in a healthy position at the minute and we'd be better served going for younger prospects - and nobody will convince me we can't attract them.

• Subscriber

Signings have to be taken in the context of the whole summer and squad as well.

Is Ayew in our best XI? Probably not.

Is Reid? Probably not.

Is Okoli? Debatable. We'll find out.

Is Golding? Highly doubt it.

Is Fatawu? Yes, but he was here last season.

As it is now, even with this signing, our first XI would be weaker than a year ago!

They're not getting the full slaughtering from me until the summer is over and there's been no action. The Soule approach tells me there is money there and that they could yet go for it. But fuck me. That first game is coming around soon and it's all just so uninspiring at the minute.

I want us in for players like Matt O'Riley and Seb Nanasi. Types with real upside. They're both stepping up to come here as well. If Southampton can be in for O'Riley then get straight on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 01/08/2024 at 02:26, Dan said:

I'm slightly more receptive having read the above but I just don't really see the need in signing both him and Bobby De Cordova-Reid. He's 33 in September and Leicester being Leicester will go and give him a silly contract because our director of football is absolutely hopeless and couldn't sell avocado to a vegan.

If this was a free transfer and we'd not already signed Reid, I'd have gotten it a bit more, but you just know we're going to somehow end up shelling out £6mil and a £10mil contract over three years when we'd never get anything like that for our equivalent.

The direction under Cooper is already worrying me. I think because of Marinakis' behaviour he was given a lot of a pass for their recruitment approach but I'm already seeing that he's going to be quite a costly operation. There's more to football than a sell on fee but we're not in a healthy position at the minute and we'd be better served going for younger prospects - and nobody will convince me we can't attract them.

xD whenever you make a cynical prediction about us we'll go one better. It's actually eight million. Medical booked in.

Totally ridiculous again from us to pay this sort of money for a player of this age. We're the only club outside of probably Saudi Arabia or Turkey who would cough up £8mil for Jordan Ayew in 2024.

Rudkin classic. He costs us absolutely millions year in, year out. Failure to properly prepare and end up panic buying late in the window. He's absolutely terrible at his job and the owner just cannot see it.

If you had told me when we signed Jordan Ayew after his relegations for Aston Villa and Swansea that we were going to get six good seasons out of him and we would sell her for 4 times what we paid for him. I genuinely have told you that's a more stupid prediction than Leicester winning the league. Yet here we are.

I think he'd be a good addition for any side in the relegation battle as a squad player. Obviously the fee is a little mental, but there's too much of an emphasis on pacey skillfull young inconsistent wingers with little experience at this level amongst fans when experienced skillfull intelligent grafters like Ayew, Schlupp and Townsend are useful in a more variety of situations.

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Dave said:

If you had told me when we signed Jordan Ayew after his relegations for Aston Villa and Swansea that we were going to get six good seasons out of him and we would sell her for 4 times what we paid for him. I genuinely have told you that's a more stupid prediction than Leicester winning the league. Yet here we are.

I think he'd be a good addition for any side in the relegation battle as a squad player. Obviously the fee is a little mental, but there's too much of an emphasis on pacey skillfull young inconsistent wingers with little experience at this level amongst fans when experienced skillfull intelligent grafters like Ayew, Schlupp and Townsend are useful in a more variety of situations.

The irony of course being when I saw Schlupp was potentially available on a free, I'd have said yes.

We've signed Decordova-Reid on a free, I was OK with that.

I just think for a club likely to be hit by a points deduction based on our miscalculation that this is such a bad route to go down.

We've done exactly what I feared we were going to. We've constantly on the back foot in the transfer window. We get desperate, we overpay, we don't get what we were originally after.

My annoyance is very little directed at the player himself. You've gone quite a way to be honest to convincing me he will have a use in our team. I just think it's such an abysmal move from an economical perspective - as was giving Reid three years, as was giving Vestergaard three years, as was Conor Coady.

The other night we held the team who came 5th last season and two of our best players on the night were two foreign punts from a year ago who had a combined 0 minutes of PL experience between them, who'd both had very good seasons for us in the Championship. Two players who I think could go on to bring in big money for us in the next couple of years.

I think until our house is in proper order we need to be making more of those types of signings. We need to be thinking economically - particularly when our points deduction breeds uncertainty. What if we're on the cusp of 17th and then get hit with 8 points? Suddenly we become very likely to go down again, with the likes of Ayew, Reid etc... into their mid thirties and on top tier wages. It's just a really dumb transfer policy. That's if you can even call it that. I think we very much wing it.

Ayew gets my full support, I actually think for a lot of the anger directed at Rudkin / Cooper for this that he won't be quite the hate figure people think. But I really do despair at us at times. I want to get on board with this tirade against the Premier League and PSR but how can I when we do things like this.

• Subscriber

Done deal.

Two year deal. Slightly better. These long contracts to older players have been one of our big undoings.

I hope we end up liking him as much as you did. The fact it's getting such a slating actually quite endears me to him in a fucked up way xD like I'd like to see him prove me and others wrong.