talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gianluigi Buffon to come out of International Retirement?

Italy caretaker manager Luigi Di Biagio is hopeful veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon will reverse his decision to retire from international football.

Buffon earned his 175th cap for the Azzurri in November as a goalless draw with Sweden at San Siro confirmed Italy's failure to qualify for this summer's World Cup in Russia.

The 40-year-old promptly announced his international retirement but Di Biagio wants Buffon to be involved in upcoming friendlies against Argentina and England.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really helpful for Italy in the long run though, is it? I imagine giving Donnarumma more international game time would be better for his development as their future keeper.

Looks like it's happening though and he'll be playing in those friendlies.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not really helpful for Italy in the long run though, is it? I imagine giving Donnarumma more international game time would be better for his development as their future keeper.

Looks like it's happening though and he'll be playing in those friendlies.

Donnarumma is already public enemy number one. May as well skip the prick and use Meret.

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

Donnarumma is already public enemy number one. May as well skip the prick and use Meret.

Well Donnarumma is better than Meret and if he's going to be an international level keeper he's got to have thick skin and not give a shit about what the fans/media say about him. So I think it's better to bed him in now, rather than letting Buffon have a swansong.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well Donnarumma is better than Meret and if he's going to be an international level keeper he's got to have thick skin and not give a shit about what the fans/media say about him. So I think it's better to bed him in now, rather than letting Buffon have a swansong.

What about teammates? 

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

What about teammates? 

That's a man management problem for their manager imo. Lots of players are notorious cunts, but if you are replacing a legend you want to go with the best quality you can.

If he fails, then bomb him out for Meret.

Archived