talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bobby Reid to Cardiff

When Stoke City and West Brom got relegated, I thought they'd both be looking at the Bristol City trio of Reid, Flint and Bryan as potential targets. All three of them look ready to play for a team that want automatic promotion and would be in their price range.

I wouldn't be against us signing Bobby Reid at seven million. He would have to work to play regularly but with this system we've got clicking with attacking players I reckon he's quick enough and has the link up play to fit in.

The Bristol fans that follow TF365 on Twitter are in favour of selling all three for similar prices which surprised me. With inflation the way it is I reckon they could command more. Especially with Flint and Reid. There isn't many defenders Flint's age with his experience, leadership skills and aerial ability. Then there's Bobby Reid whose come on leaps and bounds in the last twelve months or so.

@BounceAroundTheGround

• The title was changed to Bobby Reid - West Brom Make £7m Bid
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

When Stoke City and West Brom got relegated, I thought they'd both be looking at the Bristol City trio of Reid, Flint and Bryan as potential targets. All three of them look ready to play for a team that want automatic promotion and would be in their price range.

I wouldn't be against us signing Bobby Reid at seven million. He would have to work to play regularly but with this system we've got clicking with attacking players I reckon he's quick enough and has the link up play to fit in.

The Bristol fans that follow TF365 on Twitter are in favour of selling all three for similar prices which surprised me. With inflation the way it is I reckon they could command more. Especially with Flint and Reid. There isn't many defenders Flint's age with his experience, leadership skills and aerial ability. Then there's Bobby Reid whose come on leaps and bounds in the last twelve months or so.

@BounceAroundTheGround

Yeah, West Brom are looking at both Flint and Reid, and, whilst £7 million for Reid won't be accepted IMO,  I wouldn't be at all surprised if both ended up at WBA.  Bryan looks likely to move to the Premier League, though I'd argue he's the worst out of the 3 (he's extremely inconsistent). All 3 will probably go for a fee around £10 mil, though we could well end up getting a bit more for Bobby. 

Reid's link up play is probably his greatest strength tbh. He played mostly as a false 9 last season, which worked really well up until January, when I suspect teams figured us out really. His transition from last season has been incredible: he's gone from being one of the weakest players in the side to one of the strongest, one of the most inconsistent to one of the most consistent, and turned into a great striker from being an attack-minded midfielder with rather woeful finishing. Whether he'll turn out to be a one-season wonder or become a decent Premier League standard striker, I really don't know. 

I'd say he deserves a chance at a side in the Premier League, though I wouldn't begrudge him a move to a top Championship side. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

£7m for someone who scored 21 goals last season? £15m-£20m easy, unless his contract is winding down?

Scoring goals at the level really worth that much? Tammy Abraham managed to score 26 while at a Championship club and he's not even that good.

The point is that players that are capable of scoring goals at that level aren't that good. They might generate a lot of hype while at that level which makes them seem special and "worth" £15m but buying a decent fringe player from a Premier League team for less will probably give you the same result.

2 hours ago, BounceAroundTheGround said:

Only got one year left. Will go for around £10-£13 million IMO

You're lucky you had him for a full season so he could score 21, we sold Jota for £6m off the back of 6 months and about 12 goals when he had a year left.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Paulh_85 said:

Reports sugggesting a fee (around 10m) is agreed and hes having his medical done today

This could turn out to be a very good investment providing Warnock finds a role that suits him in the team.

I think Cardiff are being rather astute with signings like Reid, Cunningham and Smithies. They all shouldn't need too long to settle, and if you can't survive this season, they're almost certain to have a big impact next year.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

This could turn out to be a very good investment providing Warnock finds a role that suits him in the team.

I think Cardiff are being rather astute with signings like Reid, Cunningham and Smithies. They all shouldn't need too long to settle, and if you can't survive this season, they're almost certain to have a big impact next year.

yeah i tend to agree, hungry champion players who given the right opportunities can play higher up.

I think Reid's best position would be behind a main striker wouldnt it? i am wondering how we will fit that style in with two out and out wingers, can see it leaving us a little short in the middle of the park.

One thing we wont be lacking next season is pace!

On 6/28/2018 at 07:58, Paulh_85 said:

yeah i tend to agree, hungry champion players who given the right opportunities can play higher up.

I think Reid's best position would be behind a main striker wouldnt it? i am wondering how we will fit that style in with two out and out wingers, can see it leaving us a little short in the middle of the park.

One thing we wont be lacking next season is pace!

On 6/28/2018 at 11:42, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Best role is as a False 9. Did very well last season as his finishing and strength improved massively. Whether he'll be able to cut it in the Premier League I have no idea, but I suspect it won't matter as you'll be down here again next season anyway ;) 

Don't see how you'd fit him into your side though. Don't you play a 4-3-3?

Archived