talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-0 Porto - Tuesday 9th April, 2019 (QF 1st Leg)

Can't really complain about the result. The players were professional. Salah was lucky on that challenge. 

Not really surprised with Hendo's performance. He is a box to box midfielder. Pair him with a good DM, which Fabinho obviously is, and you will get an energetic and honest performance. 

Also thought Milner did quite well at LB. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

One of the things I forgot to comment on about the game last night was the bench. Joe Gomez was on it so that gives me good hope that he will be a part of the final run of games as well. Not that Lovren did bad on the day but it is encouraging to see our players come back to the fold.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

This isn't directed towards you but I don't like it when people generally say 'he didn't make a scene/he didn't make a meal of it' so therefore the offending player should be punished. 

That's exactly why players do go down sometimes making a meal of it because they wouldn't get the decision otherwise. Not saying it's right but if they genuinely get fouled but don't make a meal of it and because of that, a referee doesn't give a free-kick, I think that's unfair. 

I don’t disagree with you, but referees are human. And 2 otherwise identical fouls can look very different with some playacting, and referees see that and get fooled by it - it looks much worse than it was/would have looked and it impacts the decision.

Here, if I were a referee and was neutral, I would have given a red personally. I’ve seen arguments as to why it’s not a red, even some by a Man Utd fan weirdly, like what I said above + Salah’s shirt being pulled making an effect on the VAR review to not give a red. I don’t know if that was the reason or what - like I said, I would have given a red.

On a more positive note, I’m loving that Henderson is playing in a more advanced midfield role again.

On 10/04/2019 at 14:46, Stan said:

This isn't directed towards you but I don't like it when people generally say 'he didn't make a scene/he didn't make a meal of it' so therefore the offending player should be punished. 

That's exactly why players do go down sometimes making a meal of it because they wouldn't get the decision otherwise. Not saying it's right but if they genuinely get fouled but don't make a meal of it and because of that, a referee doesn't give a free-kick, I think that's unfair. 

I remember saying in the old forum once that sometimes players have to dive a bit because otherwise they might not get a penalty when they should. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived