• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

CaaC - John

Alex McLeish Leaves Scotland Post

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

Alex McLeish has left his position as Scotland head coach by mutual consent.

The 60-year-old took on a second spell in charge in February last year but has been under pressure because of recent poor results and performances.

The Scottish FA said in a statement: "The decision was agreed collectively by the board at its scheduled meeting today and in consultation with Alex.

"His assistant coaches, Peter Grant, James McFadden and Stevie Woods, will also leave their roles."

McLeish, who was in his second stint as Scotland boss, paid the price for a poor start to Euro 2020 qualifying.

Scotland lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan in their opening qualifier and could only beat San Marino, the world's lowest-ranked team, 2-0 last month.

McLeish replaced Gordon Strachan and oversaw 12 matches, winning five and losing seven.

That came after the SFA failed in its attempt to recruit Michael O'Neill, who instead chose to stay with Northern Ireland.

McLeish, a former Rangers, Birmingham City and Aston Villa manager, did guide Scotland to a Nations League play-off after finishing top of a group that also included Israel and Albania.

But his quest to end Scotland's 22-year wait for a major tournament finals appearance has been curtailed.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47767790

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stan or any other Admin/Mod my edit facility for the post above does not seem to be working to reduce the quote to the correct size, please help, pretty please xxxx:x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the board of the SFA that should be sacked, not necessarily McLeish. 

Twelve games and he’s gone seems wildly premature. In his twelve games they’ve been to South America and were beaten by Peru and Mexico, lost to two of the World Cup semi-finalists in Portugal and Belgium and lost to Israel and Kazakhstan, with the Kazakh lose not being anywhere near as bad as mad out. 

They’ve also qualified for a play-off place for the Euros next year, achieving that with some good results. 

Not really sure where Scotland go from here. It appears to me that they have delusions of grandeur that they’re a better nation than they are and they expect to be winning more games than they do and qualifying for more tournaments than they do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s the board of the SFA that should be sacked, not necessarily McLeish. 

Knowing them great sparks they will have a brainstorm and reinstate Gordan Strachan back as Scottish manager  :eek:

And then again they may try someone that is not Scottish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

@Stan or any other Admin/Mod my edit facility for the post above does not seem to be working to reduce the quote to the correct size, please help, pretty please xxxx:x

Only cos you put kisses - this has been done. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not delusions of grandeur to aspire to be better than Kazakhstan or Israel.

Scotland went from a year unbeaten to losing to Kazakhstan and unable to string a few passes together against San Marino. This was about stopping the quick regression that was happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

It's not delusions of grandeur to aspire to be better than Kazakhstan or Israel.

Scotland went from a year unbeaten to losing to Kazakhstan and unable to string a few passes together against San Marino. This was about stopping the quick regression that was happening.

Kazakhstan are a much better side than given credit for by Scots, who think they’re a better side than they are. It wasn’t a major shock losing there looking at their results, specifically at home, and Scotland’s results, specifically away. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Kazakhstan are a much better side than given credit for by Scots, who think they’re a better side than they are. It wasn’t a major shock losing there looking at their results, specifically at home, and Scotland’s results, specifically away. 

 

Scotland's results away from home are poor, which is definitely related to the manager. Accepting a 3-0 defeat by Kazakhstan isn't something that Scotland should just accept.

Gordon Strachan isn't a great manager, by any stretch of the imagination, but he got far better performances and results from the same group of players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Scotland's results away from home are poor, which is definitely related to the manager. Accepting a 3-0 defeat by Kazakhstan isn't something that Scotland should just accept.

Gordon Strachan isn't a great manager, by any stretch of the imagination, but he got far better performances and results from the same group of players. 

Who would you like? I think Scot Gemmill could be a good choice? Or the guy who got Livingston promoted. Don't know his name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Who would you like? I think Scot Gemmill could be a good choice? Or the guy who got Livingston promoted. Don't know his name

If they are going to appoint a Scot, could do a lot worse than looking at Steve Clarke or Alex Neil.

Any chance of getting Michael O'Neill is long gone. Appointing Scott Gemmill wouldn't be the worst idea, but you'd need to assemble a good group around him to make the most of it.

Scotland is still one of the places that coaches from around the world come to learn. There must be some unearthed talent that could be added to the backroom staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

If they are going to appoint a Scot, could do a lot worse than looking at Steve Clarke or Alex Neil.

Any chance of getting Michael O'Neill is long gone. Appointing Scott Gemmill wouldn't be the worst idea, but you'd need to assemble a good group around him to make the most of it.

Scotland is still one of the places that coaches from around the world come to learn. There must be some unearthed talent that could be added to the backroom staff.

What about Moyes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What about Moyes?

He is basically the same guy as McLeish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

He is basically the same guy as McLeish.

Well it's hard to see many Scottish managers with a better record with the greatest of respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s the board of the SFA that should be sacked, not necessarily McLeish. 

Twelve games and he’s gone seems wildly premature. In his twelve games they’ve been to South America and were beaten by Peru and Mexico, lost to two of the World Cup semi-finalists in Portugal and Belgium and lost to Israel and Kazakhstan, with the Kazakh lose not being anywhere near as bad as mad out. 

They’ve also qualified for a play-off place for the Euros next year, achieving that with some good results. 

Not really sure where Scotland go from here. It appears to me that they have delusions of grandeur that they’re a better nation than they are and they expect to be winning more games than they do and qualifying for more tournaments than they do. 

When you look at it in terms of competitive games his record isn't as bad as some make out. Loosing 3.0 to Kazakhstan was a terrible result but not sure if he deserved to be sacked personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Scotland's results away from home are poor, which is definitely related to the manager. Accepting a 3-0 defeat by Kazakhstan isn't something that Scotland should just accept.

Gordon Strachan isn't a great manager, by any stretch of the imagination, but he got far better performances and results from the same group of players. 

Said this at the time;

Is that much of a shocking result? Scotland’s Away form is abysmally bad. Since 2014 they’ve won at Gibraltar, Czech Republic, Malta, Lithuania, Hungary and Albania. Two of those wins, Czech Republic and Hungary, were friendlies, so four competitive wins in five years.

 Kazakhstan’s home record isn’t bad either. Since 2014, they’ve lost at home to Czech Republic, Iceland, Turkey, Holland, Denmark, Montenegro and Romania and being honest, none of those are games you’d have expected them to get much in anyway.

———————

I stick by it. Scotland are delusional. A defeat at Kazakhstan is no disgrace for a nation like Scotland. Should it have been a 3-0 drubbing? Probably not (wasn’t there a fair few names injured though?) but to sack a bloke after losing one game is knee-jerk behaviour from a country and FA that views itself above it’s rank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What about Moyes?

He is basically the same guy as McLeish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland's bad away record is a reason to keep the manager? O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

_106249080_getimage-1.png

It's pretty bad no doubt but they have only lost two out of six competitive and are in the play offs. I don't think there is a justification on results alone. However i think there is a  justification if the board think he is the wrong man and want to stop it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's pretty bad no doubt but they have only lost two out of six competitive and are in the play offs. I don't think there is a justification on results alone. However i think there is a  justification if the board think he is the wrong man and want to stop it now. 

I am fucked why they gave him the job back in the first place as he left as the Scotland manager the first time as the lure of money from league clubs made his mouth water, then since the jobs dried up and no one wanted him he took the Scotland job again, if, and I say if they asked Strachan back then I think he would do a little bit better than McLeish, Moyes would be a big no from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

I am fucked why they gave him the job back in the first place as he left as the Scotland manager the first time as the lure of money from league clubs made his mouth water, then since the jobs dried up and no one wanted him he took the Scotland job again, if, and I say if they asked Strachan back then I think he would do a little bit better than McLeish, Moyes would be a big no from me.

I get Scotland fans not wanting Moyes. But at the same time he has a better record than all the other Scottish managers I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Scotland's bad away record is a reason to keep the manager? O.o

One defeat is not enough to sack a bloke. Especially given a few months previous he got Scotland to a guaranteed play-off for the Euros, which may be their first tournament in a generation. 

Whilst Scotland’s Away record may be historically poor, sacking a bloke because the fans think they’re better than they are, is simply daft. There was signs of improvement under McLeish, specifically Away (three of his five wins were on the road). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I get Scotland fans not wanting Moyes. But at the same time he has a better record than all the other Scottish managers I think.

How are you measuring this 'record'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

One defeat is not enough to sack a bloke. Especially given a few months previous he got Scotland to a guaranteed play-off for the Euros, which may be their first tournament in a generation. 

Whilst Scotland’s Away record may be historically poor, sacking a bloke because the fans think they’re better than they are, is simply daft. There was signs of improvement under McLeish, specifically Away (three of his five wins were on the road). 

The woeful performances throughout his entire tenure are the reason that the vast majority of people wanted him replaced.

The difference in the team from the end of the Strachan era to McLeish's era are vast and in no way did the team improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not at all surprised by this. The performance against Kazakhstan was laughable. Yet I question his appointment in the first place. An anachronism that only now is being addressed. Yet the options to replace him? Not particular stellar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

How are you measuring this 'record'?

Well how many other Scottish managers are managing in a top League? He may have been unsuccesful at utd but no other Scottish manager would have been even considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland need to look at producing better players and finding an identity than sacking and hiring managers who don't seem to do well. Looking at the results that @ScoRoss posted how many of them would be considered a shock? Bar Kazakhstan probably none. 

McLeash was never going to get them to a major tournament (which is probably why he's been sacked) but then again who would? Scotland are in a bit of a mess and it goes further than the man in charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well how many other Scottish managers are managing in a top League? He may have been unsuccesful at utd but no other Scottish manager would have been even considered.

I'm pretty sure David Moyes isn't managing in a top league. Not sure he is managing at all.

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Scotland need to look at producing better players and finding an identity than sacking and hiring managers who don't seem to do well. Looking at the results that @ScoRoss posted how many of them would be considered a shock? Bar Kazakhstan probably none. 

McLeash was never going to get them to a major tournament (which is probably why he's been sacked) but then again who would? Scotland are in a bit of a mess and it goes further than the man in charge.

There are some far better coaches and managers that Scotland could have had, but have been too inward and cheap to hire.

McLeish's persistence of trying to change from a system that was getting good performances and results, for the sake of justifying his appointment. 

The role of the SFA should to be appoint the best person for the job, and McLeish has proven to be far from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I get Scotland fans not wanting Moyes. But at the same time he has a better record than all the other Scottish managers I think.

If Moyes was all that great he would have been managing another club by now, he finished his six-month tenure at West Ham and that was him, no other club has come in for him and just because he is Scottish doesn't mean he would be good for the Scotland job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement