Burnley 2-1 Everton

Recent Form
Everton - DWLWW
Burnley - LDWWW

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Possible farewell home fixture for Jagielka and Baines. Hope they get an appropriate send off if so. Prefer to see Davies start over Schneiderlin here because we all know exactly how Burnley are going to play so let's not take 70 minutes of the game to pass us by before we realise we don't need two defensive midfielders on the pitch against these.

• Subscriber

I wonder if this lad gets a retrospective 3 match ban like Gomes. He's not a top six player so there's a chance but seeing as the FA have handed out two retrospective bans in the past month they probably think they've earned a 4-6 month holiday.

• Administrator

I thought it was a red at the the time. Late, nowhere near the ball, studs up, bit out of control. 

Just look at Schneiderlin's thigh to see how bad it is really. Westwood very lucky to escape a yellow. 

As for potential retrospective action, I didn't think this could happen as the referee saw it and took action? (I think this is an ambiguous rule as it is anyway - why is it different if a ref sees it during the match and a booking given but if they don't, it could be a ban? The same tackle isn't therefore given the same punishment). 

• The title was changed to Everton 2-0 Burnley - Friday 3rd May, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
21 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Are late challenges really going to get retrospective action? Gomes' stamp was a deliberate action intended to hurt the player. I think that's an important difference. 

Then why, if the referee sees it in either case, is it a straight red and a three match ban? You can't say on one hand that by the letter of the law it's the same offence but only one of the two can be punished retrospectively for some reason.

If that challenge goes in on Hazard, Salah, De Bruyne, they're rolling on the floor and the Burnley player is off. Schneiderlin gets up and shrugs it off instead of being a little bitch about it so 90% chance nothing will happen. It goes back to the Salah penalty debate at Cardiff the other week where if he tries to be honest and stay on his feet then he probably wouldn't have got the penalty when he should have. It's ridiculous that the reaction of the opposition player affects in any way the perception of the offence, and it's even more ridiculous that if the opposing player tries to be honest and play it down instead of diving and rolling around screaming then it actually gives the offender a greater chance of getting away with it.

Archived