talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dan - Barnsley FC; Leicester City FC

football forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Trust me there's never an end to how far you can go - just need time, patience and the right investment. I could see you making Europe in a couple of years and then sky is the limit. Expand the stadium/training group - youth recruitment, it all comes together.

The progress is a bit slow I think. I fancied this Leicester side. It helps that they've got a cracking forward coming through too. I reckon I can win the league with Leicester eventually.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Storts said:

Trust me there's never an end to how far you can go - just need time, patience and the right investment. I could see you making Europe in a couple of years and then sky is the limit. Expand the stadium/training group - youth recruitment, it all comes together.

I think it would be very difficult to achieve that with Barnsley because of the fan base. You really need a club of decent size with history behind them

• Subscriber

I'm with Aaron here. I think it's doable with sides like Leicester and Derby (like you did) but Barnsley are nowhere near either side.

I'm a believer in the unlikely but I couldn't see things getting much better here.

There's still work to do at Leicester. No FA Cup yet. That's one of my first targets.

• Subscriber

PL 33 - Hull City v Barnsley
This is probably my biggest remaining game. Hull are 17th in the table and exactly the sort of side we need to not pick up any points at our expense. Avoid defeat here and I think it would take a disaster run to get relegated, but I don't think that's entirely beyond us either. We go to this game without Vardy and Bradshaw takes his place. An even first half looks set to end goalless but Andros Townsend prods home. We haven't threatened enough and I'm getting a bit worried. But the second half was just perfect, I got Bradshaw off on the hour and brought on Armstrong who has largely fallen out of favour, and in the 70th minute he equalises. A draw would probably be good, but I get the feeling Hull would be nervous here so I kept at them, and in the 88th minute we got our reward as Diego Laxalt volleyed home from an angle to snatch all three points. We won in similar circumstances here last year, but this was bigger. This leaves us needed one more win for survival, with the league's bottom side at home up next, the league's bottom side, fresh from a 1-5 defeat to Leicester. Super.

PL 34 - Barnsley v Bournemouth
One win needed to survive, the bottom side at home up next, do you think we won? Did we bollocks. We were rubbish. It ended 1-1 but I think ultimately we were lucky to draw it given the chances Bournemouth had. We will be the less frustrated of the two sides as Bournemouth are in with a shout of survival still, but it wasn't good enough. This, coupled with Leicester's 4-0 loss at Everton, made the controversial fixture the following weekend that bit more controversial.

PL 35 - Leicester v Barnsley
This is just weird. Last week meant we both needed the result - but at the same time Leicester need it a lot more than we do. If I win this game, I'm safe, but if I do, I'm seriously notching up the chance of myself managing in the Championship next year. Leicester are 5 points clear of Hull, we're 8. We lost 4-1. Some of our defending was absolutely embarrassing to the extent you would seriously be questioning the integrity of the game if it was in real life - Leicester's 2nd too daft to laugh at, Dawson clears the ball against Ben Gibson which nearly plays in Schick, but Dawson gets to it first, only to under hit the back pass and Leicester score anyway. Dawson's been a total flop signing. Hull lost their game - from a selfish point of view it was the ideal outcome. Barnsley are mathematically safe with three games to go, and Leicester are 8 points ahead of 18th. This will be a Premier League fixture next season.

592dc7951a6e6_2021LT5.thumb.PNG.f27bbefbdbb4b8f1e2f0c26ba613a7d8.PNG

It's about a done deal for me personally. Man City are also safe as they've hit form when I expected them to. It's a very interesting relegation battle, and with Hull still to play Wolves in the last but one week and Middlesbrough v Burnley & Wolves v Bournemouth on the final day, I might even have more focus on events elsewhere.

The Championship's just as interesting, with the top four facing each other on the last day. Stoke have already been promoted and sit top, but face 2nd placed Palace at home on the last day - Palace win and they're champions.

• Subscriber

We ended in absolute style. It was scarcely believable. We won 0-4 at Everton, drew 1-1 with Man City and then won 2-3 at Chelsea on the final day, going 3 up in the process! Chelsea did name a weakened side mind you.

592f5233ed8e8_202021LT6.thumb.PNG.264830644b7492d56b2e1d5f0409e96f.PNG

592f523837950_BFCSquad1.thumb.PNG.a390c0d653f1af940713b7f622c8d771.PNG

592f523c4d4d5_BFCSquad2.thumb.PNG.c244e39448ddc5d5e0f3e4efaed8d328.PNG

But on we move. 5 brilliant seasons at Barnsley, progression every year and leaving them in the past position they have ever been in. Another £40mil to spend and the likes of Rossiter and Gauld really making a name for themselves in the game. Vardy incredibly won the golden boot award. He was a huge part in our season.

A new chapter awaits. It's going to be tricky.

• Subscriber

latest?cb=20120208170529

2021/22

Current squad

Goalkeepers
Kasper Schmeichel
Ron-Robert Zieler

Analysis: A weak link. Not a single change since the game was started and unfortunately both are past their best. This has been identified as an area to improve, probably the main one.

Defenders
Ruben Gabrielsen (CD)
Presnel Kimpembe (CD)
Ben Chilwell (LD)
Simon Kjaer (CD)
Jerry St. Juste (CD)
Cristiano Piccini (RD)
Aaron Martin (LD)
Andrea Conti (RD)

Analysis: It's actually a very nicely balanced defence. Two players in each position if you want to play a back four, which I do. St Juste is likely to go though, and Kjaer is getting on a bit. Kimpembe is a very good centre half. Chilwell and Conti will be first choice full-backs, Martin is average, Piccini is decent but has spent 14 of the last 15 months injured, so he could be a write off, sadly. Strengthening the defence will depend on St Juste going, which I expect him to.

Midfielders
Ozan Tufan
Jordan Cousins
Danny Drinkwater
Nir Bitton
Harry Winks
Francisco Rodriguez
Younes Belhanda

Analysis: Definitely intend to bring a midfielder in as Rodriguez is garbage and Belhanda's on absurd wages for his age. Tufan, Cousins, Drinkwater and Biton are all good, but they're all a bit similar. Winks is good cover.

Wingers
Demarai Gray
Riyad Mahrez
Allan Saint-Maximin
Kevin Almeida
Luan

Analysis: Very happy with my depth in this area. Have no intention to add anyone to this. Luan and Mahrez are both getting on a bit so I may do in a year or so, but Almeida looks a straight replacement for Luan.

Strikers
Patrik Schick
Islam Slimani
Aaron Hughes
James Green

Analysis: Considering I intend to play 4-3-3, I'm happy with this selection. Schick is a very decent forward for this level, Slimani is past his best but he's still not a bad option to have and his wages have dropped big time. Aaron Hughes is the exciting one, he's 18 years old and I really do think he'll go on to play for England, he could be the new Vardy. Green is another promising prospect.

I intend to play something like...

NEW
Conti - NEW - Kimpembe - Chilwell
Tufan
Cousins/Drinkwater - NEW
Mahrez - Schick - Luan

They're my three big gaps really, I think it's a decent midfield but it lacks someone like Gauld to really drive at the opposition. I think we'd become too easy to defend against if I played the three I've named there as a trio as there's no real spark.

St Juste will probably leave so I need a good replacement for him.

Goalkeeper is a priority though. I've found one who is absolutely amazing, I'm talking better than Buffon. He will cost a lot, but I reckon it'll be worth it if I can actually do it.

I'm going to steal your squad preview idea Dan. Very easy to read and gives us a good understanding of your squad.

RE: Goalkeepers. Well worth looking at the top six. Arsenal have Matthew Ryan and Timo Horn both as backup which to me seems ridiculous.

• Subscriber

Summer Business (Going to do this chronologically now regarding both ins and outs)

IN: Duncan Hessanthaler (Birmingham, £1.4mil) - Development squad signing. Promising young forward. Leicester have a bit of a track record of poaching youngsters from Birmingham on this save.

IN: Jack Wilshere (Arsenal, £8.5mil) - It's a gamble, but he's exactly the player I think we need. We need a midfielder who can really take the game to the opposition and Wilshere can do that. Injury prone I know, but I'm prepared to gamble, although I'm annoyed that Piotr Zielinski came up at the same price later on in the window as he'd have been better.

OUT: Kasper Schmeichel, Younes Belhanda, Bartosz Kapustka (free) - As previously stated, Schmeichel & Belhanda freed up about £200k a week in wages which is just lunacy, and Kapustka hadn't developed.

IN: Yoon Han-Yoon (FC Seoul, £2.5mil) - 20 year old centre half as cover for now. It's peanuts for a good young defender.

OUT: Francisco Rodriguez (Hannover, £2.4mil) - Good riddance. He's crap.

IN: Daniel Gonzalez (Mainz, £27.5mil) - This is a gamble, because he's only 19, but attributes wise this lad is genuinely about as good as someone like Buffon already. I only pay big money in exceptional circumstances, and this comes under that. I will post him up in a bit. He's unbelievable.

OUT: Jerry St. Juste (PSG, £31mil) - Managed to create a bidding war between Chelsea, PSG and RB Leipzig, PSG won it and bought him for more than I expected to get for him. Good business by Leicester who paid £8mil for him last summer.

IN: Michael Keane (Chelsea, £7mil) - A dependable replacement, you would hope, at a pretty good price.

July 2021
MLS All-Stars (a) - Included this as it's actually deemed to be a competitive game. We absolutely battered them. They've got a history of respectable results in this annual competition so to deal them a record defeat was quite impressive - even if it's just a glorified friendly in my eyes the game registered it as a competitive game and that's a great morale booster to start the season.

August 2021
Liverpool (a) - A very tricky start to my campaign. As usual. Loss. I took Barnsley here twice and lost 3-1 both times, I managed it yet again here. It was a decent performance. We went behind, then equalised, then missed a penalty, but Liverpool got two late-ish goals and did the damage. Not happy, but not massively worried yet either.
West Brom (h) - West Brom had a good season last time out and this was no easy fixture - though we made it look that way. An early goal proved to be enough as we ran out 1-0 winners, and based on the stats we ought to have had far more than one.
Swansea (a) - This wasn't good. Tarashaj, often a thorn in my Barnsley side put them ahead in the first half, Mawson doubled just before half time, then Schick got one back for us. We broke in the second half and made our pressure count with 20 minutes to go as Luan equalised, but with the last kick of the game Tarashaj bagged a winner. 3-2 loss. This is all seeming a bit typical Leicester FM save for me so far. Can't defend, late losers, inefficient. A poor result.
Brighton (a) / EFLCR2 - Dominated the game but left it late to get our goal. Progression nontheless. 0-1.
West Ham (h) - We were absolutely robbed in this game. I don't usually blame officials but this was a total scandal. West Ham took the lead on the hour through a deflected Ryan Cresswell free-kick that was given as a result of West Ham blowing the most drawn out advantage from a foul you will ever see, before doubling it shortly after through what turned out to be a wrongly given penalty. Mahrez got one back late on and then Bitton equalised in injury time, only for Michael Keane to be given offside despite not even being close to the goal. Three absolutely shoddy decisions giving West Ham the most undeserved win I can probably remember. A very bad start.

September 2021
Southampton (a) - Two teams expected to be 7th and 8th, battle sitting nearer 17th and 18th. We look the more likely and make it count through Drinkwater in the first half. We've been comfortably the better side but I'm never too confident when I'm Leicester and sure enough Southampton get an equaliser out of nowhere. The game looks to be heading to a draw, but with just 3 minutes left we pile bodies forward and Drinkwater adds a second from distance, a fantastic strike and surely the winner. Nope. Boufal equalises in injury time. I feel absolutely sick. I'm cursed at Leicester. It never ever works out.
Norwich (h) - We needed a reaction here. We got one fairly early on through Luan, but Norwich turned the game on its head in the second half and won 1-2. I'm starting to regret this already. It's all gone pear shaped very early on.
Tottenham / EFLCR3 (h) - An absolutely shit cup draw to boot. Tottenham are champions of Europe, and are now regarded as a real powerhouse within the game. They edged the first half but we were better in the second half, and I went for the winner as I didn't want extra time. We got in. Kevin Almeida prodded in from about 5 yards out and we looked to have pulled off a minor upset. That was as good as it got. Yet again, with the last kick of the game, we throw it away, Miguel Borja unmarked from about 10 yards out and he smashes in. We go down to ten men in extra time and end up losing 1-3. This has been absolutely everything I feared it would be. A total disaster start.
Man City (h) - Expected nothing. Got nothing. Not in quite as cruel circumstances as before, but yet another home loss. 0-1.

October 2021
Leeds (a) - Reaction needed here. Leeds aren't up to much. We break through twice in the first half and miss both, before Ozan Tufan gives us the lead. Sure enough we fail to hold on before half time as Ivan Cavaleiro levels things, yet almost immediately after that we're back in front through Schick, after a superb through ball from Mahrez. Leeds get the inevitable equaliser before to my amazement we actually steal the game late on through Saint-Maximin. We've totally dominated the game and we've got that late goal, and I'm still convinced we'll throw it. For once, we see it out. A good win.
Everton (h) - Morale boosted and an average home fixture up next. Disaster. We were battered 1-4. We're an absolute shower of shit. I want a total rebuild of this side. It doesn't fit.
Wolves (a) - Similar circumstances to the Leeds game, we went ahead but as usual threw it away, that's how it ended.
Burnley (h) - Schick put us ahead after just 20 seconds, yet by 2 minutes we were level again. We are just appalling defensively, so easy to score past. This turned out to be a lot more like it though as Schick went on a rampage and had 4 goals by half time. 4-1 it would end. Great effort.

November 2021 (Up until int break)
Stoke (a) - A good, open game ends 1-1. Probably a fair result.

593384c06f888_202122LT1.thumb.PNG.b8d5e61ca2235ce57f9516d96dce3c25.PNG

So, it's been pretty awful. Consider we still haven't played Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal in the league and it makes for very grim reading. I'll be surprised if we're relegated, but there is no way I can pretend this has been anything but rubbish so far. Defensively we are a complete mess with just one clean sheet in the league all season. I think the squad, whilst it has quality in it, doesn't have players that fit how I usually play. We're loaded with inside forwards instead of wingers and I'm far better with the latter. This isn't going to be an overnight job. I think there's a basis for a decent side here but it's going to take a while. It's hit and miss whether I'll keep my job in the long run though - this kind of form saw Pellegrini eventually sacked and it's not beyond that to happen again.

Barnsley have been a complete shambles since I left too. It's worked out badly for all so far.

Long way to go, but so far it looks like it's going to be the usual shambles at Leicester. I never, ever do well here and I just cannot put my finger on why.

• Subscriber

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I ended up back at Barnsley. They're without a doubt going down and like I said before I think I'll come under pressure to hold onto my job if this goes on too much longer. The board haven't got any concerns at the minute but I'm 15th in the league without even playing most of the teams around the top.

Saying that, I've also not played Barnsley and at this rate that's a nailed on victory. Wouldn't it be just typical if they got their first win against me though.

Barnsley are managed by Sean Dyche who I expected to get it when I was on the verge of leaving. They've sold a couple of their best players on the cheap, bought some mediocre European players and then spent £24mil on a 19 year old French forward xD who in fairness is good but I'm not sure I'd have spent that if I was them. I did think last year was a bit of a one off at Barnsley. A 34 year old getting 31 goals is something you aren't going to sustain. I'll be very surprised if they aren't relegated.

I think we'll finish about here unfortunately.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Toony said:

Do you regret leaving Barnsley then?

No. I honestly don't think I could've taken them much further. I honestly think if I'd spent another five years at Barnsley I'd have probably floated around 12th. At Leicester I think there's genuine potential to get European football regularly. Leicester seem to have held onto their strong reputation on this despite being largely mediocre.

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

No. I honestly don't think I could've taken them much further. I honestly think if I'd spent another five years at Barnsley I'd have probably floated around 12th. At Leicester I think there's genuine potential to get European football regularly. Leicester seem to have held onto their strong reputation on this despite being largely mediocre.

I probably agree although I would have found it hard to leave Barnsley after all the hard work. I assume the big pull for you though was because it was the club you support.

• Subscriber

This is going to take some very clever signings in the window. I've found a way to get the team ticking and things are looking up, but it won't be sustained because the club is losing money. It's just absolute lunacy how a club can be losing money when in this money tree league. Some of the wages paid out are absurd and it's going to take a careful rebuild.

I've got these players working well together but it can't last. A lot of players are ageing and some of them are on joke wages. Luan is a perfect example - a good player and ideally I'd like to keep him, but 28 years old and on £120k a week? He wants to go to Marseille and for £25mil I've said he can. I think for all he's really turned it on, that would represent good business.

I'm good at finding gems but I'm going to have to pull off an exceptional effort here.

• Subscriber
On 6/4/2017 at 4:55 AM, Dan said:

July 2021
MLS All-Stars (a) - Included this as it's actually deemed to be a competitive game. We absolutely battered them. They've got a history of respectable results in this annual competition so to deal them a record defeat was quite impressive - even if it's just a glorified friendly in my eyes the game registered it as a competitive game and that's a great morale booster to start the season.

August 2021
Liverpool (a) - A very tricky start to my campaign. As usual. Loss. I took Barnsley here twice and lost 3-1 both times, I managed it yet again here. It was a decent performance. We went behind, then equalised, then missed a penalty, but Liverpool got two late-ish goals and did the damage. Not happy, but not massively worried yet either.
West Brom (h) - West Brom had a good season last time out and this was no easy fixture - though we made it look that way. An early goal proved to be enough as we ran out 1-0 winners, and based on the stats we ought to have had far more than one.
Swansea (a) - This wasn't good. Tarashaj, often a thorn in my Barnsley side put them ahead in the first half, Mawson doubled just before half time, then Schick got one back for us. We broke in the second half and made our pressure count with 20 minutes to go as Luan equalised, but with the last kick of the game Tarashaj bagged a winner. 3-2 loss. This is all seeming a bit typical Leicester FM save for me so far. Can't defend, late losers, inefficient. A poor result.
Brighton (a) / EFLCR2 - Dominated the game but left it late to get our goal. Progression nontheless. 0-1.
West Ham (h) - We were absolutely robbed in this game. I don't usually blame officials but this was a total scandal. West Ham took the lead on the hour through a deflected Ryan Cresswell free-kick that was given as a result of West Ham blowing the most drawn out advantage from a foul you will ever see, before doubling it shortly after through what turned out to be a wrongly given penalty. Mahrez got one back late on and then Bitton equalised in injury time, only for Michael Keane to be given offside despite not even being close to the goal. Three absolutely shoddy decisions giving West Ham the most undeserved win I can probably remember. A very bad start.

September 2021
Southampton (a) - Two teams expected to be 7th and 8th, battle sitting nearer 17th and 18th. We look the more likely and make it count through Drinkwater in the first half. We've been comfortably the better side but I'm never too confident when I'm Leicester and sure enough Southampton get an equaliser out of nowhere. The game looks to be heading to a draw, but with just 3 minutes left we pile bodies forward and Drinkwater adds a second from distance, a fantastic strike and surely the winner. Nope. Boufal equalises in injury time. I feel absolutely sick. I'm cursed at Leicester. It never ever works out.
Norwich (h) - We needed a reaction here. We got one fairly early on through Luan, but Norwich turned the game on its head in the second half and won 1-2. I'm starting to regret this already. It's all gone pear shaped very early on.
Tottenham / EFLCR3 (h) - An absolutely shit cup draw to boot. Tottenham are champions of Europe, and are now regarded as a real powerhouse within the game. They edged the first half but we were better in the second half, and I went for the winner as I didn't want extra time. We got in. Kevin Almeida prodded in from about 5 yards out and we looked to have pulled off a minor upset. That was as good as it got. Yet again, with the last kick of the game, we throw it away, Miguel Borja unmarked from about 10 yards out and he smashes in. We go down to ten men in extra time and end up losing 1-3. This has been absolutely everything I feared it would be. A total disaster start.
Man City (h) - Expected nothing. Got nothing. Not in quite as cruel circumstances as before, but yet another home loss. 0-1.

October 2021
Leeds (a) - Reaction needed here. Leeds aren't up to much. We break through twice in the first half and miss both, before Ozan Tufan gives us the lead. Sure enough we fail to hold on before half time as Ivan Cavaleiro levels things, yet almost immediately after that we're back in front through Schick, after a superb through ball from Mahrez. Leeds get the inevitable equaliser before to my amazement we actually steal the game late on through Saint-Maximin. We've totally dominated the game and we've got that late goal, and I'm still convinced we'll throw it. For once, we see it out. A good win.
Everton (h) - Morale boosted and an average home fixture up next. Disaster. We were battered 1-4. We're an absolute shower of shit. I want a total rebuild of this side. It doesn't fit.
Wolves (a) - Similar circumstances to the Leeds game, we went ahead but as usual threw it away, that's how it ended.
Burnley (h) - Schick put us ahead after just 20 seconds, yet by 2 minutes we were level again. We are just appalling defensively, so easy to score past. This turned out to be a lot more like it though as Schick went on a rampage and had 4 goals by half time. 4-1 it would end. Great effort.

November 2021 (Up until int break)
Stoke (a) - A good, open game ends 1-1. Probably a fair result.

593384c06f888_202122LT1.thumb.PNG.b8d5e61ca2235ce57f9516d96dce3c25.PNG

So, it's been pretty awful. Consider we still haven't played Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal in the league and it makes for very grim reading. I'll be surprised if we're relegated, but there is no way I can pretend this has been anything but rubbish so far. Defensively we are a complete mess with just one clean sheet in the league all season. I think the squad, whilst it has quality in it, doesn't have players that fit how I usually play. We're loaded with inside forwards instead of wingers and I'm far better with the latter. This isn't going to be an overnight job. I think there's a basis for a decent side here but it's going to take a while. It's hit and miss whether I'll keep my job in the long run though - this kind of form saw Pellegrini eventually sacked and it's not beyond that to happen again.

Barnsley have been a complete shambles since I left too. It's worked out badly for all so far.

Long way to go, but so far it looks like it's going to be the usual shambles at Leicester. I never, ever do well here and I just cannot put my finger on why.

November 2021 (Continued)
PL 13 - Chelsea (h) - Fully expected a loss here but we totally stunned everyone and absolutely battered them after going behind early on. Luan hit a hat-trick as an early deficit was turned into a stunning 5-1 win.
PL 14 - Barnsley (a) - The emotional one. The return to Oakwell. They're still winless and it would be just typical if we were to turn up there and hand them their first. Thankfully we delivered. We went ahead early doors and totally dominated the game, but were pegged back in the second half and it did take a fairly late winner to seal it, before a third was added for comfort in injury time. 1-3 it finished.

December 2021
PL 15 - Newcastle (h) - We've actually picked up a bit of form and were 10th going into this game, against the team in 9th so it's a good test. Passed with flying colours. We won the game 4-1, again after going behind. We're incapable of keeping a clean sheet, but we sure know where the net is. 3 wins on the bounce, and no loss in 6.
PL 16 - Crystal Palace (a) - Edged this game but ended up throwing away a 0-1 lead late on and drew. It's a mediocre result.
PL 17 - Arsenal (h) - This is a very good test as we're well in form. Another draw. 2-2 this time, pegged them back twice after going behind. It's a pretty good result really. 8 unbeaten. This is starting to piece together now - and yet again, it's taken only the slightest of tactical tweaks.
PL 18 - Liverpool (h) - Liverpool were 2nd in the table but had just lost at West Ham so they were a little fragile. While I didn't rule us out pre-match, I had no idea what I was about to witness. A complete romping with Schick and Mahrez running riot in a 5-0 win. Absolutely amazing stuff. We finally have another clean sheet too.
PL 19 - Tottenham (h) - Boxing day threw us another tricky one, our third tough home game in a row, and we won again! 2-0 this time, but we're starting to look like outsiders for the Europa League. We're on fire. 10 unbeaten.
PL 20 - Man Utd (a) - This was just one too many, but it was so cruel. A Man Utd side dominating English football produced a very typical Man Utd of old moment, with Sergi Darder giving them a stoppage time winner. 1-0.

January 2022
PL 21 - West Brom (a) - Thankfully we reacted perfectly. A totally comfortable win at the Hawthorns. 0-2.
FA Cup R3 - Notts County (a) - Lovely draw for the fans as 5,000 plus made the short journey to Nottingham without spending the day shitting themselves that they're going to be on the end of a beating from Forest. It was pretty comfortable as expected. A strong-ish side won 0-2. Should have been way more.
PL 22 - Swansea (h) - Was expecting a win here, and we blew it. A bore 0-0 draw.
PL 23 - West Ham (a) - Tricky game but we came away with a victory. 1-2 it ended after going 2 up. We're sitting 8th.
PL 24 - Southampton (h) - Southampton have been surprise strugglers this season but on that performance it wasn't hard to see why. We won 2-1 and I think we let them off a battering really. Saints manager Karl Robinson was subsequently sacked.
PL 25 - Norwich (a) - The battle of the surprise packages, and what's turned into quite a big game due to the potential of qualifying for the Europa League. We blew it. We were shocking and that we only lost 3-2 was quite flattering. It's probably a year too soon.
FA Cup R4 - Wigan (h) - A favourable FA Cup tie to recover from the midweek loss you would hope. Nope. Wigan were giant killers in round three when they beat Newcastle and they delivered it again here. A strong Leicester side went down 0-1. This was far too reminiscent of the Barnsley v Blackburn game in this round last year, and that game was followed up by a trip to an under-achieving Man City. Sure enough...

February 2022
PL 26 - Man City (a) - No win this time but we were well worth our point. Man City sit midtable this time, no relegation fears but it's looking like yet another year without Europe for them. 1-1 it finished.
PL 27 - Leeds (h) - Expected a win. Got it. 1-0. Not convincing but deserved.
PL 28 - Everton (a) - Another big game in the Europa League race, and another one blown. This was shocking from us, a 3-0 loss this time.
PL 29 - Wolves (h) - Leeds at home repeated. 1-0 victory against a struggler.

March 2022
PL 30 - Burnley (a) - This was a favourable fixture in a fairly tricky run-in and we completely fell apart. Another 3-0 loss, a disgrace of a result and performance and for me, all but the end of our quest for Europe.
PL 31 - Stoke (h) - We made up for it a bit here though with a 3-0 win, Luan with a pair of superb goals.
PL 32 - Chelsea (a) - We completely dominated this to my amazement yet threw away three points very late on. 1-1 it finished. Frustrating.

593adf602f24d_202122LT2.thumb.PNG.50de573a6b981f4fd6d28a934b9d5dcb.PNG

So 8th with six games to go. Man Utd won the League Cup (beating holders West Brom 6-0 in the final xD) and the semi finals of the FA Cup are Leeds v Chelsea & Arsenal v Barnsley, so if Arsenal or Chelsea win it then 7th gets into Europe. Fair play to Barnsley as well - sure enough Wigan ran into them in round 5 which I knew was going to happen after we lost to them, they then went and knocked Norwich out at Carrow Road. Sadly for them though it looks like it's all but over. They need a miracle to survive from here and if Southampton better their result in the next game, they will be relegated, and sure enough, they're away to us, so there's a very good chance I send Barnsley down :(

It's completely borderline that we get into Europe for me. Us and Norwich have nearly identical run ins only we have the easier games at home. I'd imagine we'll probably finish 8th.

Very little happened in January other than the confirmation of South African midfielder Tseko Ntseki joining the club from Orlando Pirates for £500k although he comes without a work permit - however he's starting for them internationally and he's getting first team games on loan at Swedish side AIK Solna so he should eventually become eligible. It's going to be a very interesting summer and something tells me we're not going to come out of it as strongly as we went into it. Our finances are precarious at the minute and someone big is going to have to leave I think.

Oh, and I kept promising it, but here is my goalkeeper Daniel Gonzalez:

593ae094d80bf_DanielGonzalez.thumb.PNG.a115ac9961ed57fe0a6eb3744103f1a1.PNG

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

You've played FM long enough to know that was written in the stars.

Was my first home loss in six months as well. How have a team on 14 points come here and beat us soundly? It wasn't even smash and grab, they fully deserved it.

Well, I "expected a win" in both that and the Wigan games, so as I feared we have a squad of complete bottlers.

I'm edging towards rebuild.

• Subscriber

April 2022
PL 33 - Barnsley (h) - As covered, a complete shambles. A win here would've sent Barnsley down but they found something from nowhere and beat us soundly. An absolute disgrace of a result, and for me all but killing our Europa League hopes.
PL 34 - Newcastle (a) - Went here with little confidence and ended up beaten as expected. Could've gone either way but Yoshinori Muto absolutely killed us and it ended 3-2.
PL 35 - Crystal Palace (h) - Total domination from start to finish yet only a point to show for it. Games like this make me wonder why I bother. 1-1.
PL 36 - Arsenal (a) - So I went to Arsenal in 8th place. Our form has dipped and I expect us to crumble at the end and possibly finish as low as 10th, but we found something from out of nowhere in this game and we turned in a very good performance, coupled with a shock 0-1 victory. It was Leicester's first league win at Arsenal in 49 years.

May 2022
PL 37 - Man Utd (h) - We've gotten lucky with other results. West Ham and Man City have both joined the Europa League battle between us and Norwich and it really is anyone's guess as to who gets in. We were beaten by champions Man Utd. Man Utd have won 5 straight titles. 1-2.
PL 38 - Tottenham (a) - Results went our way in the last game and we still sat 7th - and with Arsenal & Chelsea getting through to the FA Cup final it meant that 7th in the league would get that final Europa League spot. We were battered here 4-1 and sat 10th with just 20 minutes to go, yet news elsewhere went almost too good to be true. Man City threw their lead away at Chelsea, Norwich threw theirs away at Liverpool, West Ham threw theirs away at Swansea. That's how it finished. I have scraped things in the past, but this was like no other. We didn't deserve European football at all in my eyes, but we had it.

593d5b932f138_202122LT3.thumb.PNG.a333b6fe750844275cf89da1f239906a.PNG

It's not quite the celebration of previous seasons as it's different to say, gaining promotion, but we scraped something unlikely by the skin of our teeth and that isn't to be sniffed at. Incredibly fortuitous but it's very good for the club. It will be very testing to me next season though.

593d5b96a495d_Squad1.thumb.PNG.c9aa0c2dcca3afa195cf388accb49ce9.PNG

593d5b99c3762_Squad2.thumb.PNG.a03a6f8b2c950d45e3ff1fd7de2c827e.PNG

An ageing squad on high wages. The Europa League is notoriously difficult to navigate and we're going to need more re-inforcements. Our budget isn't kind next year and that can only be put down to the reckless spending of previous - though I'm not innocent myself here as neither Keane or Wilshere made my first team in the end. In-fact Gonzalez was my only signing who did. Yoo is a good buy and I expect him to play a lot more next season.

I give the season a 7/10 but that's arguably generous. Both cup performances were disgraceful and we've gotten into Europe because the others blew it rather than ourselves being that good. But 7th isn't to be sniffed at one bit.

Southampton suffered a shock relegation on the final day, I'd expect they will bounce back up. Barnsley actually really picked up late on so fair play to them on that.

Next season's aims are very difficult to gauge at the minute. It'll largely depend on who I hold onto. I'm kind of hoping someone big comes in for Mahrez or Luan simply because they're getting on a bit and they're on massive money. Bitton has got to go and Chilwell & Kimpembe are likely to, sadly.

• Subscriber

It does although I'm not sure the Europa League is that big a pull.

Our finances ruin it already. A £4mil budget and only 35% of sales to be reinvested in the squad. What an absolute joke xD

• Subscriber

I'm finding at a lot of clubs that even when you stay within the wage budget the club's finances get worse and you end up getting worse budgets every year even if you move the club forward. Don't know if that's consistent with what others have found.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It does although I'm not sure the Europa League is that big a pull.

Our finances ruin it already. A £4mil budget and only 35% of sales to be reinvested in the squad. What an absolute joke xD

That's shite, you'll need a bigger squad as well with the EL to play in as well. Thought you'd have got a bit more than that.

• Subscriber

Make the easiest and hardest possible outcomes for me from these pots:

Pot 1: Chelsea, Inter Milan, Trabzonspor, Marseille, Fenerbahce, Ajax, Shakhtar, Schalke, Roma, Hamburg, Porto, Espanyol

Pot 2: RB Salzburg, Legia Warsaw, SC Braga, Anderlecht, KRC Genk, Rapid Wien, Hoffenheim, OGC Nice, CSKA Moscow, Feyenoord, FC Kobenhavn, Fiorentina

Pot 3: Leicester, Everton, FK Oleksandriya, Brondby, Celtic, Valencia, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Kransodar, Vitoria de Guimaraes, Dinamo Zagreb, Viktoria Plzen, Panathinaikos

Pot 4: SV Ried, FC Lorient, BATE Borisov, IFK Goteborg, Aberdeen, Kasimpasa, Kairat Almaty, Crvena Zvezda, Qarabag, NK Maribor, Slavia Sofia, Shakhter Soligorsk

Archived