talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Format for Cup Competitions

football forum

What is the best format for cup competitions ?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best format for cup competitions ?

• Single leg K.O
    • Double leg
    • Replays
    • No, away goals
    • Yes away goals should be enforced

• The title was changed to Best Format for Cup Competitions
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Depends how many teams involved and if involved in other competitions that may take precedence. Or do you mean International cup competitions? 

The reason I make the first point is because it alludes to points made about the League Cup here in UK. I don't think teams in Europe should partake in it. Then you have the FA Cup where I don't think replays should be played and it should be decided on the day. 

It varies from each competition. 2-legged games work well in Champions League but I'd do away with away goals - if it goes to extra time in the 2nd leg, it's 30 minutes extra for the away side in that leg to get a goal that the home team didn't get in the first leg. 

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Depends how many teams involved and if involved in other competitions that may take precedence. Or do you mean International cup competitions? 

This thread is solely about domestic cup competitions 

I've voted for two legs with away goals because that's the best format for a cup competition. I could be persuaded to get rid of the away goals rule for extra time, but then you still have the issue of one team getting an extra half hour at home on top of the advantage of playing the second leg at home in the first place. Maybe you get rid of extra time altogether and just go straight to pens, but you'd lose a hell of a lot of drama if you got rid of the away goals rule.

With all that said, domestic cup competitions are often seen as something of an annoyance (I think this is @Stan's point) and a lot of teams don't take them seriously. Increasing the number of games by going to two legs would only mean you see more of that, so maybe the best format overall is one leg, no replays.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I've voted for two legs with away goals because that's the best format for a cup competition. I could be persuaded to get rid of the away goals rule for extra time, but then you still have the issue of one team getting an extra half hour at home on top of the advantage of playing the second leg at home in the first place. Maybe you get rid of extra time altogether and just go straight to pens, but you'd lose a hell of a lot of drama if you got rid of the away goals rule.

With all that said, domestic cup competitions are often seen as something of an annoyance (I think this is @Stan's point) and a lot of teams don't take them seriously. Increasing the number of games by going to two legs would only mean you see more of that, so maybe the best format overall is one leg, no replays.

Only for teams in Europe, mind. I genuinely think they'd not be that bothered to have the League Cup not part of their calendar for that season. It's a relative distraction when you weigh up the priority of other competitions (league, CL/EL, FA Cup). 

Archived