talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x - it’s complete! Small Stone manages to stay on, but now going in before the amp. Bottom row, other than the tuner, is all in the loop and for my leads. 

I’m pleased

4992436F-D71C-42AF-9AE7-BAEAA0CE363F.jpeg

I really like that. Small, square and easy to carry around. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I really like that. Small, square and easy to carry around. 

Yeah there’s only a few things I’d want to change about it - and I’ll worry about that later when I get a pedal that lets me make a loop in the FX loop after the sentry. I’d like my always on pedals (sentry, OD) to stay up top but with the EQ there next it (but also always on... just in a loop that’s not always kicked on). Then the pedals I actually do kick on & off, both in the loop and not in the loop, I’d like on the bottom row and closest to me.

But to switch the rows of the Small Stone & EQ I’ll need to find a way to get the iso brick to stay held under the board.

But it’s very close to my ideal pedalboard and I’m well happy with that.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But to switch the rows of the Small Stone & EQ I’ll need to find a way to get the iso brick to stay held under the board.

Velcro and straps or plastic stays? I think you could but then I wonder if the height of the brick is a hindrance?

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve tried that but it’s too heavy to stay on

So then Velcro + plastic stays/straps. I think companies like Mooer actually make long ones, I had such a hard time trying to find one for my board.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo ever hear of anyone using a CALINE power supply for their pedal boards? I realized the MXR was never going to properly power the BOSS MS3 so now a new hunt begins for a compact power supply. The TrueTone one is nice but man is it big.

I haven’t but I did a quick google search and they look literally exactly like the Donner brand with a different logo, which I know looks the exact same as another Chinese brand. I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 brands use the same factory to make their products and the only difference is the logos.

I do know someone who ordered a Donner isolated power supply who returned it because it wasn’t truly isolated. So if you don’t mind daisy chaining (dunno if that’s the right term tbh) I think it’s fine

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I haven’t but I did a quick google search and they look literally exactly like the Donner brand with a different logo, which I know looks the exact same as another Chinese brand. I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 brands use the same factory to make their products and the only difference is the logos.

I do know someone who ordered a Donner isolated power supply who returned it because it wasn’t truly isolated. So if you don’t mind daisy chaining (dunno if that’s the right term tbh) I think it’s fine

Well I am going to find out soon. The thing is ridiculously cheap and I figured I'll just run some smaller pedals on it to hear noise and if it all fails I can just return it. They also claim the outputs are isolated and from my experience with some chinese products its all hit and miss. You either get pure quality or pure junk.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Well I am going to find out soon. The thing is ridiculously cheap and I figured I'll just run some smaller pedals on it to hear noise and if it all fails I can just return it. They also claim the outputs are isolated and from my experience with some chinese products its all hit and miss. You either get pure quality or pure junk.

No real loss tbh - either it works as intended and you get a bargain or it doesn’t and you get your money back. It looks like on the Caline/Donner power supplies that look very similar to the expensive voodoo labs power supplies are actually isolated. Which tbh makes me wish I got one instead of the MXR so I could have saved myself a lot of money

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No real loss tbh - either it works as intended and you get a bargain or it doesn’t and you get your money back. It looks like on the Caline/Donner power supplies that look very similar to the expensive voodoo labs power supplies are actually isolated. Which tbh makes me wish I got one instead of the MXR so I could have saved myself a lot of money

And you get a slimmer unit too. Don't get my wrong I love my MXR ISO but that thing is more for a much more compact pedal board without something requiring a lot of horse power (think Acoustic Sets) but for something that needs heavy driving it isn't going to cut it.

P.S. I was going to get a Voodoo Mondo and was ready to buy it too then said dont be silly and just try this out.

Edited by Mel81x

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

And you get a slimmer unit too. Don't get my wrong I love my MXR ISO but that thing is more for a much more compact pedal board without something requiring a lot of horse power (think Acoustic Sets) but for something that needs heavy driving it isn't going to cut it.

Yeah, which honestly makes it pretty ideal for me (oh btw, Velcro straps to keep it on the bottom was a great idea - now just need a loop switcher pedal for my FX loop and the board will be complete) as mine's a pretty simple board. The heaviest duty thing about my board is the 18V power required for the EQ, or the 300 mA requirement for the 9V reverb pedal. Whereas you've got that MS-3 & your Strymon delay... two pretty powerful units that I assume need a shitload of power. Plus your board, being a bass & guitar combined board... I think by design is a bit more complicated than a simple board like mine.

I don't really have any regrets, I think part of what you pay for with a Boss is it's indestructability. I think part of what you pay for with an MXR (or other Jim Dunlop products, except plectrums because you know... how are you going to have issues with those?) is their pretty outstanding customer service - that I got a free replacement 10-Band EQ for my pedal that was out of warranty is pretty remarkable. I wouldn't expect most companies to stand by out of warranty products like that, I know typically MXR charges a flat rate for repairs. So I have to be pleased with that.

But something a lot cheaper and slimmer would have been cool.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, which honestly makes it pretty ideal for me (oh btw, Velcro straps to keep it on the bottom was a great idea - now just need a loop switcher pedal for my FX loop and the board will be complete) as mine's a pretty simple board. The heaviest duty thing about my board is the 18V power required for the EQ, or the 300 mA requirement for the 9V reverb pedal. Whereas you've got that MS-3 & your Strymon delay... two pretty powerful units that I assume need a shitload of power. Plus your board, being a bass & guitar combined board... I think by design is a bit more complicated than a simple board like mine.

I don't really have any regrets, I think part of what you pay for with a Boss is it's indestructability. I think part of what you pay for with an MXR (or other Jim Dunlop products, except plectrums because you know... how are you going to have issues with those?) is their pretty outstanding customer service - that I got a free replacement 10-Band EQ for my pedal that was out of warranty is pretty remarkable. I wouldn't expect most companies to stand by out of warranty products like that, I know typically MXR charges a flat rate for repairs. So I have to be pleased with that.

But something a lot cheaper and slimmer would have been cool.

Glad the velcro suggestion worked out. 9/10 times you'll see people putting velcro tape and then I think about what happens when its not on the board and you have to replace it what then? After that much time and more importantly heat the velcro glue becomes a part of the metal base plate then you're left dealing with all kinds of other issues you don't need.

As for power requirements yeah its going to take a lot of power and I wanted something good so I hunted around there were really only two power supply units I really liked - TrueTone 1Spot Pro CS12 (there really is nothing like this anywhere else with maybe Strymon coming close) and then the Voodoo Labs Mondo. Its just sheer luck that I saw the Caline and then did some reading and saw other products they made and said maybe this will work for me.

I am also going to ditch the tuner block now as I finally figured out how to use the tuner on the MS3 (it was staring me in the face the whole time) so thats one pedal less and more space to put pre and post pedals like the SpectraComp, Spark, Darkglass Vint and the Strymon Timeline with whatever else I want to fit in the block. The Boss's compressor is also quite nice and has a regular Comp and a B. Comp as well. I also have the option of doing A, B, A/B or Stereo so I can actually setup both pedal lines (guitar/bass) and then based on the MS3 patch it will do the routing accordingly. 

I just got my cable extenders and now all I am waiting for is the power supply then a little strapping, locking and tape application before its ready for use. I am actually quite excited that I was able to even build this as I remember a time when you wanted anything for a Bass guitar you'd literally only find pedals that were massive and now with TCE leading the way you have these micro pedals that are so so powerful its unbelievable. You can have a Hall of Fame, Sub N Up and Spectra comp that are about the size of 1 1/2 Boss standard pedal widths and they all have far more under the hood from a config standpoint than most pedals. Of course you buy the original size ones and the board will just get cluttered but I am using this for gigging not recording so I don't really care.

I love my MXR power brick and I've used it so much over the years but its time to retire it to home-use only and I will take the pedals feed them back to my FocusRite and use it for riff practice and lick writing.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo

Finally got the Caline power unit and I have to say its good. No ground noise, simple wiring and no fuss with the setup either. Powers pedals with no issues as well but I am going to give it two weeks before I finalize on it as the one that stays on the board.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Lately, we've been practicing from home and trying to cover a Porcupine Tree song "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here". In the process of hearing the song I started thinking of tweaking the intro with a Bass Delay and it sounds rather nice. What I wanted to know from people on here is whether they have ever heard a bass delay in a song? I've heard tonnes of sub-octave tones like the Rolling Stones - Under My Thumb (subtle and awesome) but I have never heard anyone use Bass Delay as a standalone. 

On 17/03/2020 at 20:34, Mel81x said:

Lately, we've been practicing from home and trying to cover a Porcupine Tree song "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here". In the process of hearing the song I started thinking of tweaking the intro with a Bass Delay and it sounds rather nice. What I wanted to know from people on here is whether they have ever heard a bass delay in a song? I've heard tonnes of sub-octave tones like the Rolling Stones - Under My Thumb (subtle and awesome) but I have never heard anyone use Bass Delay as a standalone. 

I can't think of ever hearing bass delay.

While working from home and being generally in self-quarantine other than for looking for essential items every once in a while, I've found myself having a lot more time to pick up a guitar and play. So that's one good thing about this pretty shit situation, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I can't think of ever hearing bass delay.

While working from home and being generally in self-quarantine other than for looking for essential items every once in a while, I've found myself having a lot more time to pick up a guitar and play. So that's one good thing about this pretty shit situation, I suppose.

I've been using my mornings quite well to just learn a song or practice technique as most of my early morning calls are either getting shifted or cancelled altogether so getting that time back for practice has been rather nice.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2020 at 23:37, Mel81x said:

I've been using my mornings quite well to just learn a song or practice technique as most of my early morning calls are either getting shifted or cancelled altogether so getting that time back for practice has been rather nice.

Yesterday my wife asked her if I could teach her some Judas Priest songs on guitar. So last night she learned Breaking the Law and she picked it up surprisingly quickly.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yesterday my wife asked her if I could teach her some Judas Priest songs on guitar. So last night she learned Breaking the Law and she picked it up surprisingly quickly.

I can see your house right now.

Image result for beavis and butthead meme breaking the law

Edited by Mel81x
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Machado said:

Where can I find a wife like that? :P

She’s got really great taste in music it’s pretty great. And I think her being married to someone with multiple guitars and putting up with him constantly playing while being stuck at home, while she’s stuck at home, made her think “fuck it maybe I can learn how to play.”

She’s really good at piano so I expected her to pick some of it up quick, but she’s been a surprisingly quick learner, I am pretty impressed with her tbh.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

She’s got really great taste in music it’s pretty great. And I think her being married to someone with multiple guitars and putting up with him constantly playing while being stuck at home, while she’s stuck at home, made her think “fuck it maybe I can learn how to play.”

She’s really good at piano so I expected her to pick some of it up quick, but she’s been a surprisingly quick learner, I am pretty impressed with her tbh.

Sound a lot like my last relationship. I play the guitar and she played the piano but she took lessons from a young age so she had that musical ear as they call it. She could play anything I asked her to and on the guitar did many things that took me months or years of practice, ahah.

I'm a sucker for musicians. Dream woman would be Allison Mosshart.