talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jorginho - May Leave for PSG

football forum

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I thought everything went through Jorginho? Everyone said he was the one that made Chelsea tick?

Seems silly to just loan him out?

He's alright mate but just too inconsistent for my liking and his performances have slowly regressed.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

It's bizarre really. Our best football last season was when it was a midfield three of Mount/Jorginho/Kovacic. We had an identity then. 

Kante becomes fit, all of that is thrown away and he is shoehorned back into the side that's established a possession game. Kante becomes injured again, Jorginho/Gilmour retake their place into the team and we see some dominate performances against Liverpool in the FA Cup and Everton in the league.  Lockdown happens and the restart sees us completely throwing away that identity with shitehouse tactics like 5 at the back or having Kante in an unnatural holding role. Constantly changing too. 

I said last week that these next few weeks will give us an understanding on Lampard. Because so far it shows he has no idea what he wants. 

For me, the best we looked last season was after the restart where we got some relatively good form going. Interestingly, looking at the period you mention in the first half of last season and the period I'm mentioning in the second, in both runs of form we barely ever saw Jorginho, Kovacic and Kanté start together, one was always sacrificed. After the restart, we even had Barkley and Mount start, with Kanté at the base so in some cases two of Jorginho, Kovacic and Kanté missed out. The key for me really is getting the balance right in that midfield rather than it being a Kanté issue. Kanté's best position isn't acting as a defensive midfielder but he can adapt to that role and he can be a suitable alternative. Remember Kanté, Barkley, and Mount against City in the 2-1 win? They were great. The solution lies in having that more offensive-minded player, be it Mount, Barkley or Havertz to help the balance of the midfield. Sometimes we can even have the two offensive-minded ones playing together. I think Barkley has improved, he's not the answer but he's a good squad player.

I'm not saying put Kanté at DM and stick like that for the rest of the season, we can use Jorginho or Kovacic there to help in certain games and moments to help with build-up or whatever. What we do need to stay away from however is the Jorginho, Kovacic, Kanté triangle because it's simply too depressing to watch, use two at most together but that's it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

For me, the best we looked last season was after the restart where we got some relatively good form going. Interestingly, looking at the period you mention in the first half of last season and the period I'm mentioning in the second, in both runs of form we barely ever saw Jorginho, Kovacic and Kanté start together, one was always sacrificed. After the restart, we even had Barkley and Mount start, with Kanté at the base so in some cases two of Jorginho, Kovacic and Kanté missed out. The key for me really is getting the balance right in that midfield rather than it being a Kanté issue. Kanté's best position isn't acting as a defensive midfielder but he can adapt to that role and he can be a suitable alternative. Remember Kanté, Barkley, and Mount against City in the 2-1 win? They were great. The solution lies in having that more offensive-minded player, be it Mount, Barkley or Havertz to help the balance of the midfield. Sometimes we can even have the two offensive-minded ones playing together. I think Barkley has improved, he's not the answer but he's a good squad player.

That was more down to the tactics rather than Kante defying his limitations on the ball. Remember West Ham the very next week? Kante looked out of place in a game where we needed to take initiative. 

There is a piece missing in midfield and no one offers it. 

32 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That was more down to the tactics rather than Kante defying his limitations on the ball. Remember West Ham the very next week? Kante looked out of place in a game where we needed to take initiative. 

There is a piece missing in midfield and no one offers it. 

That's why you can pick and choose. It's not something that has to be set in stone. What's clear though is that it's not a Kanté problem, it's more getting the balance right in midfield. 

You mention the West Ham game but we lost the same game 1-0 at home to West Ham earlier in the season with Jorginho, Kovacic and Mount starting in midfield in and around the positive period you alluded to earlier. Kanté can be pivotal for us, so can Kovacic and Jorginho if used correctly.

13 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

That's why you can pick and choose. It's not something that has to be set in stone. What's clear though is that it's not a Kanté problem, it's more getting the balance right in midfield. 

You mention the West Ham game but we lost the same game 1-0 at home to West Ham earlier in the season with Jorginho, Kovacic and Mount starting in midfield in and around the positive period you alluded to earlier. Kanté can be pivotal for us, so can Kovacic and Jorginho if used correctly.

I think we are arguing the same thing here. I for one prefer Kante as a RCM and only in certain games. Jorginho is the only holding midfielder we have however his athleticism is terrible. Kovacic, again, I only prefer as a LCM or RCM. 

We need another defensive/holding midfielder to make this team balanced. Which makes sense why Lampard wants to sell Jorginho I suppose. 

• The title was changed to Jorginho - May Leave for PSG
  • The topic was locked

Archived