talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

Holy fucking shit. Yesterday Evil won the new japan cup, and turned even further heel by joining bullet club, attacking naito before their meeting for the 2 championships today
Then today he wins!!!! Going from midcard guy/often tag champ to the 2nd ever NJPW double champion, and in only Naitos 2nd defense. Fuck NJPW hates Naito. :(

On 11/07/2020 at 10:48, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yeah Cody is being self indulgent, but I think it's going to be good long term booking. He'll be a great heel after all this. 

Yeah, a heel turn is most logical. I think theyll experiment with a face faction of a modern day four horsemen (FTR & Spears included) prior to that though.

On 12/07/2020 at 02:00, 6666 said:

Haven't bought into Cody as a babyface ever. Should be a heel. Hopefully that's what they're heading towards.

None of the main eventers stand out above the midcarders. They seem to be more concerned with elevating guys they're not gonna actually use because they don't want underneath guys to be seen as a joke. Orange Cassidy in a 50/50 match with Jericho, what is that gonna do? Cody is probably gonna go 50/50 with Sonny Kiss next week. It just brings these guys down. Lanch Archer now feels lost because they've now gotten Brian Cage who's gonna fall at the first hurdle against Moxley. If not then why give him some random old ECW belt to hold? Then you have Brodie Lee who was botched since his debut and Omega whose stock has plummeted since AEW began. The champion, Moxley, has never had a good title run and it's no different here.

As for NXT, I don't like Keith Lee. Hope Kross takes his head off quick.

Yeah I agree about the booking at present with AEW. I think Kenny Omega's momentum can be easily built up though. I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up in a position to be a convincing champion by the end of the year if he gets out this tag team with Adam Page and wins a convincing feud against him 

Really like Keith Lee though. The performance at Survivor Series really solidified it for me. He's the right face for the long term of the brand.

On 12/07/2020 at 03:47, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think Ambroses IC title run was alright. I agree though. They have 4 large men in AEW. Wardlow, is a midcarder, hell, he's a midcarders stooge
Brodie Lee comes in, is build up, is thrown aside
Lance Archer comes in, is built up, is thrown aside. 
Brian cage (pinned by tessa Blanchard, remember that one next time he's dominating 6 men" will also fall to Mox.

Brodie lee should have never faced mox, and should have won the TNT championship, losing it only round about now to an undefeated archer with Jake the snake interference. 

Omega is the best athlete in the company, and was a huge draw in NJPW when booked correctly. He needs to be the next world champion. 

The treatment of the big guys has been odd. Theyve just been thrown as meat for the estbalished names to conquer immediatly. I could understand Brodie Lee (and Wardlow) but not building Brian Cage and Lance Archer more just seemed off. Brian Cage looks like Vince McMahon's wet dream of an ideal wrestler.

21 hours ago, 6666 said:

Wrestling is a weird world.

I remember them talking about this heavily when he first joined Impact. That interview really has affected him going forwards. I get a lot of these guys probably didnt think they'd get to WWE level at the time, but you have to wonder what was going through their heads to speak so freely about stuff like this, let alone actually do it.

21 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Watching night two of fyter fest now. For some reason it isn't on itv catch up on the TV only online. Did you have the same problem @The Palace Fan

Nah i recorded it and watched it the following morning.

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yeah, a heel turn is most logical. I think theyll experiment with a face faction of a modern day four horsemen (FTR & Spears included) prior to that though.

Spears aint shit. He's been treated as a joke. you can't have a horseman who wears tully blanchard undies ffs

• Haha 1

It all started off really well. Got himself in a popular faction with Randy Orton and when on Smackdown he got plenty of air time and opportunity as a singles superstar.

That 'era' of WWE superstar (emerging late naughties, early 2010/11) was held back by the fact they merged the brands back together. The exceptional still stood out in CM Punk and eventually Daniel Bryan whilst the very good in Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler etc never had the trigger pulled. The Shield, Bray Wyatt and NXT came along and that was it.

The last time i thought they may push him was going in to MITB in 2013 but they chose his tag partner in Damien Sandow to win it (and then do nothing).

The tag team with Goldust and the Stardust character should have been done at the beginning of his character as opposed to the end. That just screamed of tag team run to lower midcarder.

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It all started off really well. Got himself in a popular faction with Randy Orton and when on Smackdown he got plenty of air time and opportunity as a singles superstar.

That 'era' of WWE superstar (emerging late naughties, early 2010/11) was held back by the fact they merged the brands back together. The exceptional still stood out in CM Punk and eventually Daniel Bryan whilst the very good in Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler etc never had the trigger pulled. The Shield, Bray Wyatt and NXT came along and that was it.

The last time i thought they may push him was going in to MITB in 2013 but they chose his tag partner in Damien Sandow to win it (and then do nothing).

The tag team with Goldust and the Stardust character should have been done at the beginning of his character as opposed to the end. That just screamed of tag team run to lower midcarder.

So what would you say he is in wwe standards if given the chance? Mid to upper mid maybe? 

12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Obviously you didn't watch those NJPW matches. 

he was "The cleaner"in NJPW before he became the "Best bout machine"

Where do you watch npjw to. Does it have english commentary or subtitles? 

So do you think an omega or cody heel turn may be coming?

On 17/07/2020 at 18:22, Gunnersauraus said:

So what would you say he is in wwe standards if given the chance? Mid to upper mid maybe? 

I think right now Cody would definitely be a solid main eventer in WWE. More than anyone else in AEW in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

I think right now Cody would definitely be a solid main eventer in WWE. More than anyone else in AEW in my opinion. 

Im not sure he would. He definitely wouldnt on Smackdown. They're stacked at the minute even without Roman. 

Raw he'd have more of a chance but he would still need to compete with Orton and Rollins for that opportunity.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

He must have had some seriously bad booking and been used terribly in wwe?? I watched wwe for a little bit when he was first on the scene and I remember them saying he had so much potential and was gonna be massive. Just never seemed to happen  for him. I remember his promos always being so tame. Completely different from now 

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Im not sure he would. He definitely wouldnt on Smackdown. They're stacked at the minute even without Roman. 

Raw he'd have more of a chance but he would still need to compete with Orton and Rollins for that opportunity.

Stacked? They have Braun Strowman as champion feuding with The Fiend (who's been boring for months). I'm not even a massive fan of Cody but he'd be an improvement on what WWE are doing now in their main event scene.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Stacked? They have Braun Strowman as champion feuding with The Fiend (who's been boring for months). I'm not even a massive fan of Cody but he'd be an improvement on what WWE are doing now in their main event scene.

Yes. Cody would be up against not only Brawn and The Fiend (who crrative would prefer anyway) but also AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, The Miz, John Morrison, Cesaro, Nakamura, Sheamus and Jeff Hardy. A lot of solid B level players there and Cody will slot somewhere in the middle.

Cody, Miz, JoMo and EC3 in a stable called American prime time or some shit like that we're they're just obnoxious, wear suits and do heel stuff could have been a tremendous moneymaker for WWE. Put the Smackdown title on Miz back when he was in nuclear hot form in 2017-18... ah what could have been.