talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

Couldn't believe it at first. Genuinely thought it must be an old celebrity that I didn't know with the same name. Still don't know if it was a condition he always had or something that had developed recently. Feel terrible for his family. RIP.

Edited by 6666

Okada/Ospreay was good. Especially the closing 5-10 mins. Naito/Ibushi was okay, would've been better if it wasn't the same match as Okada/Ospreay being done right after by wrestlers that aren't as good.

Only watched Shingo/Cobb from night 2 so far. Better than I thought it was going to be but once again followed the same formula as the two matches I previously mentioned. A long match with a lot of near falls is great but you can't have every singles match be like that.

4 hours ago, 6666 said:

Okada/Ospreay was good. Especially the closing 5-10 mins. Naito/Ibushi was okay, would've been better if it wasn't the same match as Okada/Ospreay being done right after by wrestlers that aren't as good.

Only watched Shingo/Cobb from night 2 so far. Better than I thought it was going to be but once again followed the same formula as the two matches I previously mentioned. A long match with a lot of near falls is great but you can't have every singles match be like that.

Night one was good, but probably the worst night of WK I've seen. Only Taichi and Zack vs GOD lived up to my expectations. 
Okada vs Ospreay was good, as you'd expect it to be, but never wowed me and wasn't their best match, and I love that Ospreays whole dumb ass faction got buried.
Naito vs Ibushi is usually a literal blood bath. But Ibushi can't take concussion bumps if hes going to wrestle night 2 and Naito is getting on. His body is ruined. While I strongly disagree that Naito and Ibushi aren't as good as Okada (and they're all far better than the prancing pom) the match they had was good, but not anything close to matches like they had at Dominion 2018. 

To your point on the style of match, NJPW won't have silly card breaking up matches at WK like WWE would. The battle must be intense and the victory satisfying. No 3 minute roll up/comedy matches. 

Night 2 was far better. Shingo vs Cobb was way better than it had any right to be, but Shingo is genuinely one of the top 5 wrestlers in that company IMO. A true great.
Evil vs Sanada was quite good
Takahashi vs Ishimori was outrageously good. 5*+
Ibushi vs Jay was one of the best matches I've ever seen. Up there IMO with Omega vs Okada 2/3 falls. Crazy good match, and will almost certainly be my match of the year for this upcoming year. 

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Devil-Dick Willie @6666 so I have been watching nxt. The impression i get is it is more dictated by what the fans want than raw and smackdown. So are the undisputed era being  shoved down peoples throats or is it just that they are really popular?

The undisputed Era is the best faction in western wrestling, and it's not even close. You missed their golden years TBH, from Strong joining, to cole losing the championship, that 3 or so year stretch was perfect. 

On 06/01/2021 at 04:31, 6666 said:

Seen White vs Ibushi or Hiromu vs Ishimori yet? 

@The Palace Fan @Devil-Dick Willie In my opinion out of the new years shows aew put on the better show. I was slightly disappointed with nxt actually I expected more, especially from the main event. However I thought out of both the new years shows the last women standing match was the best match. Omega v fenix was good in parts but only for a bout 5 minutes. 

Speaking of womens wrestling that is the area where nxt blows aew out of the water. Their womens division is brilliant. They could actually put on a weekly show with just womens wrestling and it would be good. Aew's  womens division reminds me of womens wrestling ten years ago unfortunately. However they have clearly recognised that. But bringing in wrestlers from other promotions doesn't seem like the best way to build credibility. 

24 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Out of the new years shows wrestlekingdom blew both AEW and NXT out of the water without a sweat. Night 2 alone killed both dead. 

Well that's great but not really the point I was making mate 🤣

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well that's great but not really the point I was making mate 🤣

You fail to understand. AEW is mickey mouse sports entertainment 
NXT used to be great, and is still the best western televised wrestling company, not special anymore. 

You're watching the wrong shows. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You fail to understand. AEW is mickey mouse sports entertainment 
NXT used to be great, and is still the best western televised wrestling company, not special anymore. 

You're watching the wrong shows. 

I cant watch njpw mate. Also I dont understand why you watch them if you dont like them. Also I wouldn't say aew is Micky mouse. Its still the second biggest wrestling company in america 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I cant watch njpw mate. Also I dont understand why you watch them if you dont like them. Also I wouldn't say aew is Micky mouse. Its still the second biggest wrestling company in america 

I meant micky mouse in terms of it being silly and small time in mentality. 

I don't watch AEW generally. I am made aware of storylines through a bunch of avenues, and watch some of the PPV matches if they're rated well (and sometime the highlight clips on youtube if something "big" happened) 

I used to watch NXT religiously, but since AEW launched and it became a 2 hour show it's gone down the shitter a bit. I watch some shows, and some matches. A mate has the network so it's always there for me

NJPW is $10 a month. Watch it in January, July-october. Boom. You paid $50 to watch the best wrestling in the world for that year. 

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Don't listen to Willie. His sick Yoshi / Anime fantasies cloud his judgement.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Don't listen to Willie. His sick Yoshi / Anime fantasies cloud his judgement.

Used to hate Japanese culture. While I will wouldn't say I'm a fan I'm certainly over my hatred. 

Here's the super weird thing about NJPW. It's a wrestling brand... that focuses on wrestling. Outrageous I know. But sadly unique. They hire wrestlers based on in ring ability and book them to have the best possible matches. And thus, they have the best by far wrestling company in the world. No weird cuck angles, fireballs, teleportation, self indulgence from over powerful personalities. Just wrestling.  

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Here's the super weird thing about NJPW. It's a wrestling brand... that focuses on wrestling. Outrageous I know. But sadly unique. They hire wrestlers based on in ring ability and book them to have the best possible matches. And thus, they have the best by far wrestling company in the world. No weird cuck angles, fireballs, teleportation, self indulgence from over powerful personalities. Just wrestling.  

Bit off course but I was reading a book on The Death of WCW and in 2000 TNT did a mass survey amongst wrestling fans across America asking them what they wanted to see more and less of. The overriding feedback was they wanted more of a focus on wrestling. No more mad angles, no more weirdness, no more unnecessary stunts, no more politics, no more pushes that don't make sense, just more wrestling. Obviously they didn't listen, Vince Russo became champion and Mike Awesome became That 70's Guy xD.

But yes, Okada / Jay White will probably be match of the year. Set a huge standard given we've seen about four contenders already.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Bit off course but I was reading a book on The Death of WCW and in 2000 TNT did a mass survey amongst wrestling fans across America asking them what they wanted to see more and less of. The overriding feedback was they wanted more of a focus on wrestling. No more mad angles, no more weirdness, no more unnecessary stunts, no more politics, no more pushes that don't make sense, just more wrestling. Obviously they didn't listen, Vince Russo became champion and Mike Awesome became That 70's Guy xD.

But yes, Okada / Jay White will probably be match of the year. Set a huge standard given we've seen about four contenders already.

Ibushi/Jay white. :D

Very early but could be match of the decade. It's up there in my best matches I've ever seen. 

Controversial take. NJPW would be more popular amongst Americans if it had less Japanese and more white wrestlers. 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@Devil-Dick Willie @The Palace Fan the thing is  just wrestling isnt always enough though. If  it was just about that NXT and even dynamite would be more popular than raw and smackdown because both have better wrestling. 

NXT uk is proof of this. A bunch of charmless fucking skinny copy pastes of each other (with Walter and Pete Dunne the stand outs) having very good matches, but boring everyone with their back stage.

New Japan has the best white promo in wrestling in Jay white, and plenty of charismatic characters. They actually do have angles. The angles are just about wrestling, collecting belts and faction warfare. Not fireballs or teleportation xD.

Entrance%2B2.gif

It's a company with plenty of frills. Just not fucking stupid ones. 

14 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Ibushi/Jay white. :D

Very early but could be match of the decade. It's up there in my best matches I've ever seen. 

Controversial take. NJPW would be more popular amongst Americans if it had less Japanese and more white wrestlers. 

I agree. All you have to do is look at how WWE have held back on pushing Japanesse wrestlers over the years. Shinsuke Nakamura possibly the most over wrestler in NXT ever when he won the NXT title. Eighteen months later they change his theme tune so people can't sign along and then turn him in to a mid card heel mainly making others look good.

14 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Devil-Dick Willie @The Palace Fan the thing is  just wrestling isnt always enough though. If  it was just about that NXT and even dynamite would be more popular than raw and smackdown because both have better wrestling. 

You're right. Some of the most memorable moments in The Attitude Era weren't wrestling related.