talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

On 16/02/2022 at 22:34, Devil-Dick Willie said:

This is a consistent gripe I have with the company. 

Every belt, when you think about it, is defended 90% of the time against scrubs. 

Cody and his line up of one timers no one has heard of to wrestle for the TnT championship every week
The tag belts get mostly defended against AEW dark guys
Even the main strap. Names in bold are matches against stars(at the time) or where you actually think the belt might swap hands. 

Jericho beat Paige, Cody, Darby and Scorpio Sky, Moxley
Mox beat Hager, Brodie, Cage, Darby, MJF, Eddie Kingston, The butcher(wtf?) Lance Archer, Kingston again, Kenny Omega 

Omega beat Rey Fenix, Moxley, Rich Swann, Pac and Cassidy, Jungle Boy, Christian, Hangman

Hangman beat D Bry and Lance Archer. 

25 matches, 6 of them put 2 stars in the ring. 
Scorpio sky, Hager, Cage, The Butcher, Rey Fenix, OJ Cassidy, Jungle Boy and Eddie Kingston are all jobbers or low midcard singles who should be NOWHERE near the fucking thing. So that's 9 matches that are throw away matches. 

So 25 matches, 6 are actually competitive and leave you wondering who will win, 10 are against decent tallent to prop them up, to put the champ over or set something up for the future, and 9 were basically pointless. 

The ration should be more like 10 competitive (3 times a year) 10 enhancing upper midcard guys or using them to put the champ over and 5 or so throw aways ( once or twice a year for tv matches) 

There it is. 

• Upvote 1

I can't decide whether this Sasha Banks / Naomi stuff is legitimate or just a work. 

You'd just think if it was real they'd sack them off. They survived Snuka/Argentino, Steroid Trial, WCW's 83 weeks, Montreal Screwjob, Owen Hart tragedy, Benoit Double Murder Suicide etc. Like Vince would care about losing two interchangeable superstars.

The Sasha/Naomi stuff is a lot more interesting than the actual shows.

There doesn't seem to be anything that warranted them walking out as far as what they were asked to do but I don't think there's anything wrong with them asking how it makes sense for them. The discussion/argument over that seems to be where the issue was.

WWE releasing statements and publicly throwing wrestlers under the bus is rare but leaving just before a match is a big no, no; and WWE was willing to get The Rock to publicly throw Stone Cold under the bus for walking out so this shouldn't really be a surprise.

20 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

MJF not turning up at the meet and greet for fans is causing a lot of speculation.

Guess we will find out at the PPV if there's anything to it.

Well he was squashed at double or nothing so maybe there is and that was his punishment. 

38 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yeah. Of all the AEW PPV's it's the one I have enjoyed the most.

Really? I thought it was ok but not the best. I've liked all the aew PPV's though so  not saying it was bad.

Was shocked with mjf getting squashed though. I figured he may be the next aew champion but will have to have a very good winning streak now to make it credible 

On 30/05/2022 at 18:40, Gunnersauraus said:

Really? I thought it was ok but not the best. I've liked all the aew PPV's though so  not saying it was bad.

Was shocked with mjf getting squashed though. I figured he may be the next aew champion but will have to have a very good winning streak now to make it credible 

I felt fatigued by the time the main event for Revolution came on after that Sting, Darby, Matt Hardy six man tag. If that was the nineties the main eventers would have lost it at what went on in that match.

All Out had a lacklustre middle with Jericho sandbagging MJF but this was pretty solid throughout. Even the matches I wasn't fussed about had good endings.

Hopefully Bryan gets a win over Jericho and we get Bryan/Punk at All Out. People will moan its two ex-WWE guys but they're the best two guys they've got at the minute.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Hopefully Bryan gets a win over Jericho and we get Bryan/Punk at All Out. People will moan its two ex-WWE guys but they're the best two guys they've got at the minute.

Other than Darby, MJF, Wardlow, who the fuck does AEW have that's 'homegrown' that's any good anyways? Penta and Rey are decent I guess. Same with Hangman. 

Kenny was used poorly. The fat fucks were goofy from the starting gun. 

8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Other than Darby, MJF, Wardlow, who the fuck does AEW have that's 'homegrown' that's any good anyways? Penta and Rey are decent I guess. Same with Hangman. 

Kenny was used poorly. The fat fucks were goofy from the starting gun. 

Given they work two days a week when you factor in travel the lack of improvement in some of them over the last 2 to 3 years is pretty astonishing.

LAX are good but I don't think you can really class them as homegrown given they were in Impact. Will Hobbs is good but they struggle to book big people properly. Sammy Guevara is good but he'a shot himself in the foot with his social media presence. 

The two teams that are improving under the surface are The Gunn Club and The Acclaimed. The former are clearly listening to their old man away from this circus and the latter are entertaining whenever they get a chance. Teams like Jurassic Express, Best Friends and Dark Order can have no complaints when the time comes to put them over.

I like Kris Statlander too but unfortunately for her Tony Khan is scared of women.

Speaking of Tony Khan and women, he got to touch one for the first time the other night:

Screenshot_20220530-171701_Reddit.jpg

• Haha 1

I don't know who it is who decides which NJPW 'stars' appear on AEW. But they should be fired. The only one they have gotten right so far is Rocky Romero. 

Suzuki, Ishii, Kenta and now Tanahashi are all one foot in the fucking grave and 5 years OR MORE past their prime. Jeff Cobb can pop a crowd but has a boring personality and O'Khan is only watchable when he's in the ring with a technical wrestler. 

Where is Sanada? Where is Ibushi? Where is Zack and Taichi? Where is even Okada? Fuck me Naito or Shingo are past their very best but still would get the job done. Naito especially as he has a personality. 

They're both shite in their own ways, and good in their own ways. 

WWE has some good big star matches, and a better big fight feel. They also throw in the odd AEW style workrate match for fun and it fits better surrounded by different match styles. 

AEW is grossly self indulgent. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 02/06/2022 at 23:14, Gunnersauraus said:

@The Palace Fan @Devil-Dick Willie @6666  out of interest what do you prefer? Wwe main shows or aew?

The PPVs/PLEs are mostly good from both. The weekly shows just leave me a little annoyed/bored. Either too much stupid shit or the same thing over and over again (especially with Raw).

The MJF stuff is the most interesting stuff at the moment. And CM Punk winning the title is a good move (but Adam Page needs to be rebuilt). Everything with Jericho however is terrible and has been since he lost the title. For WWE, the Bloodline stuff has very little heat as they don't have any real opposition but the Cody/Seth stuff is good (even though that would be a lot better is Seth wasn't behaving like such a gimmick).

Overall, I'd say interest is quite neck and neck but most of people's interest seems to be on everything going on behind the curtain.

• Upvote 1

I think mjf just did the best promo in aew history. I know this has been done before in wrestling. Punk did it twice in wwe and ring of honor but it was still brilliant 

Edited by Guest