Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

2019/20 Europa League - Round of 16 (2nd Legs) - 5-6th August, 2020

all kick-offs 20.00 (BST) unless stated
First leg scores in brackets

Wednesday 5th August, 2020
FC Copenhagen (0) vs (1) Istanbul Basaksehir, 17.55
Shakhtar Donetsk (2) vs (1) Wolfsburg, 17.55
Inter Milan vs Getafe*
Man Utd (5) vs (0) LASK Linz

Thursday 6th August, 2020
Bayer Leverkusen (3) vs (1) Rangers, 17.55
Sevilla vs Roma*, 17.55
Wolves (1) vs (1) Olympiacos
Basel (3) vs (0) Eintracht Frankfurt 

*one-legged ties due to COVID, played at neutral venues in Germany

I am looking forward to today's Europa League matches. The 2nd legs of the Shakhtar Donetsk v Wolfsburg and the FC Copenhagen v Istanbul Basaksehir matches should be exciting. Wolfsburg and Copenhagen need to overcome the 1 goal deficits from the 1st leg against strong opposition. They should both be enticing encounters.

The Inter Milan v Getafe match is going to be played as a one off match, which is strange and different to the other ties being played today. But it should also be an exciting game as both sides will give it their all in search of the winning goal. 

The Man Utd match against LASK Linz is a foregone conclusion in terms of who is going through to the next round, so I don't think that it will be as interesting as the other games, with all due respect to both sides. But there are plenty of interesting ties to look forward to this evening.

38 minutes ago, Michael said:

The Man Utd match against LASK Linz is a foregone conclusion in terms of who is going through to the next round, so I don't think that it will be as interesting as the other games, with all due respect to both sides. But there are plenty of interesting ties to look forward to this evening

I gather Ole will give Romero a shot between the sticks to keep him happy, might not be a foregone conclusion though, it depends on what United team turns up for the game, just hope it's not a side that thinks we have this one sewn up and then gets thumped.  

10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I gather Ole will give Romero a shot between the sticks to keep him happy, might not be a foregone conclusion though, it depends on what United team turns up for the game, just hope it's not a side that thinks we have this one sewn up and then gets thumped.  

I would think that Ole will give a few of the reserves a runout tonight, Romero included. It's highly unlikely, but if they aren't able to hang on to a 5-0 lead from the 1st leg, well then that would be the mother of all humiliations. I am sure though that Ole will have them do a professional job against LASK, even if they lose the game by the odd goal. But I think we can expect United to win this won, maybe not as convincing a win as in the 1st leg, but a win all the same.

16 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Are you serious xD

You're 5-0 up ffs! 

Just now, Stan said:

Are you serious xD

You're 5-0 up ffs! 

2-0 United then...both penalties. xD 

LASK to turn this around... you heard it here first :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

Shakhtar Donetsk and Wolfsburg both have strong starting line-ups, this should be an entertaining game were we can expect plenty of goals in my opinion. Wolfsburg need to score goals and they should be on the attack quite early on. It will be interesting to see how this game unfolds in Kyiv. :)

Wolfsburg have a disjointed line-up. lots of defensive problems. They're strong going forward.

Think Shakhtar will win but hopefully have some goals.

Also, what a lovely blend of colours on show.

Orange and fluorescent green xD

Early goal for Copenhagen! Equal on aggregate now.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Wolfsburg have a disjointed line-up. lots of defensive problems. They're strong going forward.

Think Shakhtar will win but hopefully have some goals.

Brooks, Pongracic and Tisserand are all highly rated defenders and regulars for Wolfsburg, so I don't think they are doing too badly at the back. Their lineup looks quite strong all over the pitch to me.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Early goal for Copenhagen! Equal on aggregate now.

It didn't take long for them to score did it? That goal must have knocked the WIND out of Istanbul Basaksehir. xD

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Brooks, Pongracic and Tisserand are all highly rated defenders and regulars for Wolfsburg, so I don't think they are doing too badly at the back. Their lineup looks quite strong all over the pitch to me.

It's not how they usually line up is it?

Regardless, Wolfsburg getting a lot of joy down the right side with gaps in Shakhtar's defence. Look likely to score first right now.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

It didn't take long for them to score did it? That goal must have knocked the WIND out of Istanbul BasaksehirxD

What have I missed here xD 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

What have I missed here xD 

Did you not see who scored the goal? :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just now, Michael said:

Did you not see who scored the goal? :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nope, got the update on Flashscore.

Just now, Stan said:

Nope, got the update on Flashscore.

Jonas Wind scored the goal for FC Copenhagen. ;)

Good save from Casteel there, from the long range shot by Patick.

Junior Moraes went so close to giving Shakhtar the lead there, but it was a good clearance from Pongracic to clear the danger.

Great work by Victor down the right flank, but his cross goes right across goal, as none of the Wolfsburg players were able to connect and score.

Shakhtar go their closest yet to scoring, as Marlos was picked out in some space, but he smashed his shot against the post. 

Brooks nearly scores an own goal, misplacing his backpass. Keeper was just about alert to it!

Good save by Casteels from Matvyenko's volley. 

Great block by Casteels from Matviyenko's close range volley!

Casteels has had a very good game so far. His block from Moraes's shot, his most impressive save of the 2nd half so far.

Shakhtar are looking even more dominant in this 2nd half. They have already had about 4 or 5 chances in the opening 10 minutes of the 2nd period.

Arnold has his free-kick saved by Pyatov.

FC Copenhagen are now 3-0 up against Istanbul Basaksehir. Jonas Wind has scored the first two goals, while Falk has scored the third goal.