talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aussie Jamie Maclaren signs for SV Darmstadt

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/05/19/jamie-maclaren-signs-sv-darmstadt-0

Jamie Maclaren signs for SV Darmstadt

Former Brisbane Roar striker Jamie Maclaren has signed a three-year deal with SV Darmstadt, who will play in Germany's second tier next season.

csm_IMG_2469_01_80c1a5938c.jpg

Jamie Maclaren has found a new home with the Socceroos hopeful signing a contract with German outfit SV Darmstadt.

The 23-year-old former Brisbane Roar striker has penned a three-year deal with Darmstadt, who have been relegated from the Bundesliga and will play in Germany's second tier next season.

It comes with the promise of significant minutes, giving Maclaren the chance to take his game to the next level after scoring more goals in the past two A-League seasons than any other Australian player.
Darmstadt are coached by ex-German international Torsten Frings, who has been impressed by Maclaren's output for Brisbane and is believed to be ready to back him as the club's main striker.

It is also the ideal platform for Maclaren to push his case for more Socceroos involvement ahead of the Confederations Cup and the final stretch of World Cup qualification.

"Torsten Frings has been a huge factor in my decision as a highly decorated player for Germany and a very talented coach who has similar ambitions to my own," Maclaren said.

"I am really looking forward to meeting up with my new teammates for pre-season and am very excited by the new challenge that I will face playing in Germany.

"I hope to continue to develop and progress my career and I am confident of doing so with Torsten and Darmstadt."

Maclaren is expected to be named in coach Ange Postecoglou's initial 30-man squad, to be announced on Monday, for the crucial clash against Saudi Arabia at Adelaide Oval on June 8.

He had previously been linked with a move to FC Kaiserslautern, who also play in 2.Bundesliga and have signed the Roar's Brandon Borrello and another talented young Australian, Jake Brimmer, from Liverpool, for next season.
Socceroos Ben Halloran (FC Heidenheim) and Mitch Langerak (VfB Stuttgart) already play in the German second division, while Mathew Leckie is set to join them after FC Ingolstadt were relegated from the Bundesliga this week.

It is Maclaren's second attempt at carving out a career in Europe, having previously spent four years in England with Blackburn Rovers as a youth team player.

He was the hottest free agent in the A-League after winning a second consecutive Young Player of the Year award, as well as being tied with Besart Berisha for this season's golden boot.

Maclaren scored 43 goals in 60 appearances across all competitions for Brisbane after signing a two-year deal in July 2015.

What do our Aussies think about him? His record in Australia looks very impressive. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't watch much A-league this season.

I could see him doing well in Germany. He's a goalscorer and underrated for his output. He hasn't been given many opportunities on the national team scene yet and would benefit from getting minutes in consecutive games, but this is the type of move he needed to make to get the manager's attention. A good time for him to step up and if he does well will surely work his way into more immediate contention for the Socceroos. 

Archived