talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 0-1 West Ham - Friday 1st January, 2021

football forums

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I agree but I think they live off reputation. There are better players in other leagues that cost less than 3M but yet average Brazilians get moves to Europe for stupid fees. I've even heard agents moan about this problem.

Yeah but some of what you said in the first place is just silly. You can't hold up Richarlison and Jesus as examples of over hyped Brazilian players and then say that Ecuador produce better young talent. Are you trying to say that there are Ecuadorian players better than them who get ignored because of their nationality? Because where's their international team if so?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Marcos Paulo is highly rated by a lot of the people I follow on Twitter, but yes I'm aware Fluminense fans aren't the biggest fans of him. I agree with them, he's not good enough and will move to Europe to become serviceable for mid-table La Liga sides. 

I worded it wrong by the way. You definitely have talent. However it's worrying how little generational talent you're producing, yet Brazilian youngsters always get hyped to the max and go to Europe for 30M+ when they aren't worth half of that. Argentina have similar issues but look closer to new generational talent than Brazil, which is why I said it's unfair.

Brenner and Pepe won't be good enough for a generational talent. Menino and Veron I have my jury out on, as I like them.

And yeah you have a much higher population than the rest of South America, that certainly helps you keep a consistent talent pool, but at the same time you live off reputation a bit. My point regarding Ecuador goes to the fact they qualify for every youth tournament, and even win some of them. They won the U20 Sudamericano, qualified for the U17 World Cup, and IDV won the Copa Sudamericana. Brazil did win the U17 World Cup though and Flamengo the Libertadores so it's not far apart, but it's worrying how little they qualify for tournaments. They failed to qualify for the last 2 under 20 World Cup's and only reached U17 because they were hosts. They went out first round in the Sudamericano. Moises Caicedo and Gonzalo Plata are awesome and I'm sure they'll become closer to elite than some of these young Brazilians to be honest.

The failures of Brazil at the youth competitions is more down to the atrocious level of coaching, the interests of agents behind the selection of players than due to a lack of talent.

I mean, Brazil couldn´t win the U-17 in 2009 with a team that had Alisson, Neymar, Casemiro and Coutinho! Anyway, I don´t put much stock in the results of youth competitions, individual quality is more important than results at that level. 

I agree that Caicedo, in special, is a great prospect. But Ecuador is not nearly close to us in terms of developing young players.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Are you trying to say that there are Ecuadorian players better than them who get ignored because of their nationality? Because where's their international team if so?

In 3rd coming off a 6-1 win against Colombia with mostly U21's.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

The failures of Brazil at the youth competitions is more down to the atrocious level of coaching, the interests of agents behind the selection of players than due to a lack of talent.

I mean, Brazil couldn´t win the U-17 in 2009 with a team that had Alisson, Neymar, Casemiro and Coutinho! Anyway, I don´t put much stock in the results of youth competitions, individual quality is more important than results at that level. 

I agree that Caicedo, in special, is a great prospect. But Ecuador is not nearly close to us in terms of developing young players.

Partially true, but some of the recent U20 teams have had no talent at all. Lincoln was the forward of the last U20, he was linked to Manchester United I think for some time if I recall correctly. I think they realized he's utterly dogshit.

And regarding Ecuador, we'll just wait and see. It's an upcoming golden generation as their youngsters actually look to be headed in the right direction for a change, unlike Venezuela who reached that final then stagnated.

I'm sure people would have called me or others crazy for saying Chile in 2007 was going to have better footballers than Brazil. Since then, only Neymar has been better than Sanchez and Vidal and they won 2 Copa America's, so it's kind of hard to argue about that.

9 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Partially true, but some of the recent U20 teams have had no talent at all. Lincoln was the forward of the last U20, he was linked to Manchester United I think for some time if I recall correctly. I think they realized he's utterly dogshit.

I mean, this kind of stuff is always going to happen. Kaká, for example, couldn´t get a start at the São Paulo U-20 side because he was blocked by Harisson, who was considered a great prospect at the time. Well, Kaká end up winning the Ballon D´Or, while Harisson never really succeed at the professional level. 

Lincoln end up being overhyped, sure, but that doesn´t mean we don´t have quality. We still have plenty of young players at that position. Pedro, for example, who I rate higher than Firmino. He´s only 23, I think. 

Just now, El Profesor said:

I mean, this kind of stuff is always going to happen. Kaká, for example, couldn´t get a start at the São Paulo U-20 side because he was blocked by Harisson, who was considered a great prospect at the time. Well, Kaká end up winning the Ballon D´Or, while Harisson never really succeed at the professional level. 

Lincoln end up being overhyped, sure, but tht doesn´t mean we don´t have quality. We still have plenty of young players at that position. Pedro, for example, who I rate higher than Firmino. He´s only 23, I think. 

It's just worrying that they seem to be getting more "servicable" players than world class. We've complained about that with Brazil for ages but the problem seems to be getting worse. Sure you might produce more talent than other countries but none of them ever make it to become top class like they used to. Argentina are still at the top for me. Just my view.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

It's just worrying that they seem to be getting more "servicable" players than world class. We've complained about that with Brazil for ages but the problem seems to be getting worse. Sure you might produce more talent than other countries but none of them ever make it to become top class like they used to. Argentina are still at the top for me. Just my view.

Honestly? I think we were spoiled by Messi and Ronaldo. 

It wouldn't surprise me If we don't see any player reaching the heights of those two for a long time

Right now, is there a truly generational forward coming up?

Just now, El Profesor said:

Honestly? I think we were spoiled by Messi and Ronaldo. 

It wouldn't surprise me If we don't see any player reaching the heights of those two for a long time

Right now, is there a truly generational forward coming up?

Depends on what you classify as generational.

I agree, nobody will touch Messi or Ronaldo in their prime anytime soon. However, I highly rate Lautaro Martinez and Rodrigo De Paul. Those players will maintain Argentina at a top level after their entire current generation retire. I don't see anyone in Brazil who will. Don't get me wrong, they'll still be #1 or #2 in South America but it's more a quantity over quality as opposed to the former who is vice versa.

Of course, Lautaro isn't generational, but he is a top player in my opinion and will continue to get better. I think he can hit Aguero heights which is the type of talent you'd expect from the top 2 nations.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived