talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cenk Tosun Linked With West Brom

football forums

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a typical Big Sam signing. He loves a target man, unfortunately Kevin Davies is no longer an option.

I did actually wonder if he'd be tempted to go for Andy Carroll given Newcastle have Wilson, Joelinton and Gayle as options already, not sure how vital he is to Newcastle currently despite his goal the other day @Steve Bruce Almighty

• Subscriber

It's funny because when we signed Tosun, Allardyce was at pains to point out that Steve Walsh was the one who had narrowed it down to him being the best option available for us with our budget during that transfer window, essentially distancing himself from responsibility in case he was a flop. He also barely gave him a game until March, citing Tosun's struggles with the cold weather or something as a reason. That phase was Tosun's best phase at the club though so I can see why he might be back in for him. Nothing against the bloke but he won't exactly be missed squad-wise.

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This would be a typical Big Sam signing. He loves a target man, unfortunately Kevin Davies is no longer an option.

I did actually wonder if he'd be tempted to go for Andy Carroll given Newcastle have Wilson, Joelinton and Gayle as options already, not sure how vital he is to Newcastle currently despite his goal the other day @Steve Bruce Almighty

Not vital but don't think the club or Carroll would want to do that. Even though he's not playing he is apparently an important leader in the dressing room.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's funny because when we signed Tosun, Allardyce was at pains to point out that Steve Walsh was the one who had narrowed it down to him being the best option available for us with our budget during that transfer window, essentially distancing himself from responsibility in case he was a flop. He also barely gave him a game until March, citing Tosun's struggles with the cold weather or something as a reason. That phase was Tosun's best phase at the club though so I can see why he might be back in for him. Nothing against the bloke but he won't exactly be missed squad-wise.

I don't believe that for one second about Steve Walsh xD 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't believe that for one second about Steve Walsh xD 

I have absolutely no trouble believing it. Mahrez and Kante are complete flukes on his track record. Wasn't he responsible for Slimani and Demarai Gary? Then you've got Sandro Ramirez, Davy Klaassen, Cenk Tosun at Everton. I know he was a part of Leicester's miracle but he also set Everton back 5 years in tandem with Ronald Koeman.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I have absolutely no trouble believing it. Mahrez and Kante are complete flukes on his track record. Wasn't he responsible for Slimani and Demarai Gary? Then you've got Sandro Ramirez, Davy Klaassen, Cenk Tosun at Everton. I know he was a part of Leicester's miracle but he also set Everton back 5 years in tandem with Ronald Koeman.

Jamie Vardy...

Given he was with us since Pearson came to us in 2008/09, he's responsible for far more than just 'flukes' Mahrez and Kante. He'd have had a big say in signing players that helped us come back up from League One to get promoted to Premier League. If you can't see that and only willing to take in to account Mahrez and Kante for his time with us, then it's really not worth having this discussion. Basically his track record goes beyond just the 2015/16 season. 

Gray was signed when he was 20. I don't think how Gray has turned out can be blamed on Walsh's scouting of him. He was a bargain at £4m (?) when he signed for us considering how he'd performed in the Championship at the time. 

Slimani signed after he left us. 

Of course not every signing is going to be a banger but I don't think you can cast off his whole time at Leicester signing 2 'flukes' just because he might have screwed up at Everton. And let's not lie, your club didn't have that much stability until Ancelotti came in given how often you'd change managers? Not a dig, just how I perceive it in the last few seasons.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Jamie Vardy...

Given he was with us since Pearson came to us in 2008/09, he's responsible for far more than just 'flukes' Mahrez and Kante. He'd have had a big say in signing players that helped us come back up from League One to get promoted to Premier League. If you can't see that and only willing to take in to account Mahrez and Kante for his time with us, then it's really not worth having this discussion. Basically his track record goes beyond just the 2015/16 season. 

Gray was signed when he was 20. I don't think how Gray has turned out can be blamed on Walsh's scouting of him. He was a bargain at £4m (?) when he signed for us considering how he'd performed in the Championship at the time. 

Slimani signed after he left us. 

Of course not every signing is going to be a banger but I don't think you can cast off his whole time at Leicester signing 2 'flukes' just because he might have screwed up at Everton. And let's not lie, your club didn't have that much stability until Ancelotti came in given how often you'd change managers? Not a dig, just how I perceive it in the last few seasons.

He was an absolute, unmitigated disaster for us mate. He wasn't responsible for some of the shoddy squad-building such as bringing Klaassen, Rooney and Sigurdsson all in at once, and he wasn't responsible for some of the other signings that turned out badly but all of the ones he did make were absolutely terrible.

I'm being deliberately flippant because we will never agree on this. It's just impossible because of what a hero he was for you and what a disaster he was for us. In fairness some of the blame goes to Kenwright/Moshiri for putting Walsh in the Director of Football role when it didn't actually match his skillset and they didn't really know what they wanted from him in that position. But he was still awful in his own right and I absolutely believe he was behind the Tosun signing too.

We were linked with Cenk Tosun when Sam Allardyce was manager and he had absolutely no qualms mentioning how he tried to sign him at Crystal Palace when he was on a good run of form at Everton so I'd take everything the walrus says with a pinch of salt.

Archived