talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do South Americans Think 1966 World Cup Was Fixed?

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I dont really care if the footballs good mate I just wanna win. I think Wenger could do a decent job because he was in England for so long. Lampard is decent, gerrard is decent. For me we need a young manager because I think older managers cant adapt to modern football. Since St Georges park opened England are definitely producing  more talent and part of the plan was to develop better coaches as well so hopefully that will happen. But southgate has been a great england manager so I dont want him to go. I dont think England have ever played with so much passion. I was thinking about this the other day. Is it actually an english problem or a premier league problem? I mean how many great managers have come from the premier league? Look at all the top managers they haven't played in the premier league? 

Well I agree winning is aim of the game but we do have enough decent attack minded players to play good attacking football instead of boring us all to death. this is also true that the top English club sides tend to go for overseas managers 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mancini just won the Euros and you slammed the door on his arse a few years ago. International football is full of has beens and club managers who fell short. Someone who is actually at the top of the game will not go into international management. 

The type of overseas manager that England could get is a Capello type. Someone who does the circuit but isn't that great anymore.

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I dont think 1966 was fixed. Germany's equaliser was actually controversial there appeared to be a handball in the build up. I think studies have shown that that 97% of the ball crossed the line so it understandable the linesman gave it.

Statistically speaking refs to tend to give more decisions to home teams. However I think England v Spain in 1996 and South Korea v italy were quite dodgy. Its possible the ref was told to try to get the home teams through but I do have doubts because I think match fixing would get found out.

I feel it's very likely that Argentina v Peru was fixed to a certain degree. The argentina president was seen going into the Peru dressing room so I think something was said there.

I think there was some controversy over Germany's win in 1954 because apparently fifa didnt want Hungary to win because they were communists. I think Hungary had a good goal disallowed and germany had an offside one allowed but I dont know 

I really don't think it would be found out, look at how long it took for the endemic corruption in the whole of FIFA's organisation with regard to the bidding process took to finally be addressed, even with suspicions for donkeys years it took until 2015 for anyone to be brave enough to tackle it head on after FIFA made the mistake of pissing off the USA. After all the only people who are going to know are the referee and the person who fixed the match. And the latter is not necessarily that nation's FA. In the early world cups, the ticket gate receipts were extremely valuable, so host nations or local nations going further in the tournament would be more beneficial to FIFA. Similarly, the TV rights are going to be more valuable if games are being played at sensible times in the region. A Portugal v France  match at 2am in the morning CEST is going to be as valuable to FIFA in terms of ad revenue as Brazil v Argentina at that time of night. 

Re 1954 - this is from the Wiki. 

• Germany's second goal. Grosics attempted to clear the corner kick by Fritz Walter in the air, but collided in the six-yard box with Schäfer. As a result, the ball went through to Rahn, who converted. Had Ling called a foul on Grosics, the goal would not have counted.[42]
  • Hungary's disallowed third goal. Eyewitness accounts differ on whether Puskás was offside. The official television footage allows no clear verdict, as it fails to show Puskás' position at the moment when the ball was passed. The Hungarian players claimed that Ling first wanted to allow the goal, but changed his mind after talking to Welsh linesman Benjamin Griffiths.[43]

59 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Well I agree winning is aim of the game but we do have enough decent attack minded players to play good attacking football instead of boring us all to death. this is also true that the top English club sides tend to go for overseas managers 

I think we got to the final by being good defensively. I dont think we would have got there otherwise. Attacking football is great but can be ineffective when you play teams with better players.  As good as england are there are still teams with better players. So for me we had to be abit defensive. I wouldn't say we were that defensive anyway to be honest. No more than normal for england 

18 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I really don't think it would be found out, look at how long it took for the endemic corruption in the whole of FIFA's organisation with regard to the bidding process took to finally be addressed, even with suspicions for donkeys years it took until 2015 for anyone to be brave enough to tackle it head on after FIFA made the mistake of pissing off the USA. After all the only people who are going to know are the referee and the person who fixed the match. And the latter is not necessarily that nation's FA. In the early world cups, the ticket gate receipts were extremely valuable, so host nations or local nations going further in the tournament would be more beneficial to FIFA. Similarly, the TV rights are going to be more valuable if games are being played at sensible times in the region. A Portugal v France  match at 2am in the morning CEST is going to be as valuable to FIFA in terms of ad revenue as Brazil v Argentina at that time of night. 

Re 1954 - this is from the Wiki. 

In hindsight I think it wouldn't be that hard actually. However I'm always cautious with believing these things without evidence so I'm still unsure at the moment 

If I´m not wrong an argentinian player was unfairly sent off versus England in 1966 and after it he acted like a real alpha, insulting the Queen and pointing his cock to the fans. 

I remember admiring that dude when watching the film about the 1966 WC. xD

Archived