talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Best Footballer Ever

football forum

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

When Portugal went on to win the Euros, I thought Ronaldo did a great job at simply drawing attention and opening up his teammates. It wasn't his best tournament, and it appeared that he knew as much, so he did what he could for the betterment of the team. 

I did not get that impression when he was running around acting like he'd scored a hattrick in the final he barely played in xD

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I did not get that impression when he was running around acting like he'd scored a hattrick in the final he barely played in xD

You mean after the match and they won the Euros? Why would he NOT be running around and going crazy? 😂

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Messi - and I disagree about the consistency claim tbh. It's hard to find someone who's more consistently good as Messi. Consistently among the top: scorers, assisters, dribblers, passers. He's an absolutely incredible player.

Then I'd probably go with Maradona because he carried Argentina to a world cup and he broke the north-of-Rome dominance in the Serie A when that was the top league in the world.

To be fair I mean if the team is winning with a player in then it shows he is having an impact even if it isn't as visible. To be honest the points you and @Cicero make show the difference between someone with moderate knowledge and really good knowledge. Maybe you have to know a bit more about football to appreciate the genius of messi at times 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

You mean after the match and they won the Euros? Why would he NOT be running around and going crazy? 😂

Wasn't he injured? I thought it was weird that he was acting like he was player of the tournament when imo he wasn't even the best Portugal player. Having said that... Messi was also shit in the final when he won the Copa America recently (although he did lead the stats for every attacking metric in the tournament).

For the record though, I agree with @Cicero's points fully: he definitely leads by example - I don't think he's a great captain tbh but... he's definitely someone that inspires those around him; I think it's wrong to say he doesn't influence tournaments in the same was as Ronaldo - he's been ranked the most influential player in 3 international tournaments; I agree that the "Little Dictator" stuff probably has some truth in it - but I think that is more the case for Barcelona than Argentina... because otherwise Argentina would be calling up more of his mates. Icardi being frozen out from the Argentina setup has everything to do with Icardi's attitude and his wife, imo. It's not just Messi that he's unpopular with...

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be fair I mean if the team is winning with a player in then it shows he is having an impact even if it isn't as visible. To be honest the points you and @Cicero make show the difference between someone with moderate knowledge and really good knowledge. Maybe you have to know a bit more about football to appreciate the genius of messi at times 

Tbf I don't think there's much between Messi and Ronaldo.

They're the top 2 players of our generation, easily. But I respect them for different things tbh and while Ronaldo is clearly very talented, I do think that as far as pure footballing talent goes... I've just never seen a player like Messi and I'm not sure I ever will again.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wasn't he injured? I thought it was weird that he was acting like he was player of the tournament when imo he wasn't even the best Portugal player. Having said that... Messi was also shit in the final when he won the Copa America recently (although he did lead the stats for every attacking metric in the tournament).

For the record though, I agree with @Cicero's points fully: he definitely leads by example - I don't think he's a great captain tbh but... he's definitely someone that inspires those around him; I think it's wrong to say he doesn't influence tournaments in the same was as Ronaldo - he's been ranked the most influential player in 3 international tournaments; I agree that the "Little Dictator" stuff probably has some truth in it - but I think that is more the case for Barcelona than Argentina... because otherwise Argentina would be calling up more of his mates. Icardi being frozen out from the Argentina setup has everything to do with Icardi's attitude and his wife, imo. It's not just Messi that he's unpopular with...

Yeah, he had an injury. 

And I never said he doesn't influence tournaments...haha I mean I'll never see another player in my lifetime that can influence a game or tournament as much as Messi and Ronaldo have been able to in their careers. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Cicero @JoshBRFC

A bit off topic, but does your opinion of Messi change at all with the fact that he's joined one of the most hated teams in the globe in PSG? 

Not really, when it was announced he was leaving... I figured he'd go to one of the two most soulless clubs on the planet: PSG or Citeh. He's the best player in the world and he's going to get one last massive paycheck in his "last dance" to try to win a CL.

In a sense, I lose respect for any player that joins PSG or Man City on a personal level. But it doesn't really take away from how I view them as a player. And tbh, I'm glad he's gone to France and not England.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf I don't think there's much between Messi and Ronaldo.

They're the top 2 players of our generation, easily. But I respect them for different things tbh and while Ronaldo is clearly very talented, I do think that as far as pure footballing talent goes... I've just never seen a player like Messi and I'm not sure I ever will again.

What's really interesting is the more you know about football the more you realise how great messi is. To a certain extent this is why I generally trust managers to a certain extent as they generally know more than most people. Klopp always said that people who said firmino was shit didnt understand football. And when you have his record I trust that over some pundit or guy down the pub 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What's really interesting is the more you know about football the more you realise how great messi is. To a certain extent this is why I generally trust managers to a certain extent as they generally know more than most people. Klopp always said that people who said firmino was shit didnt understand football. And when you have his record I trust that over some pundit or guy down the pub 

I don't know anyone who doesn't think Messi is truly great and a generational player. 

Also, assuming the choosing one in this debate means you have less football knowledge, is criminal. It's not like we are comparing Messi to Freddie Adu 😂

These are the two greatest goal scorers we'll ever see, so choosing one over the other isn't a lack of 'football knowledge', just a difference in opinion. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Eco said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Cicero @JoshBRFC

A bit off topic, but does your opinion of Messi change at all with the fact that he's joined one of the most hated teams in the globe in PSG? 

Not in the slightest. He realistically couldn’t have joined anyone else and would still be at Barca now if it wasn’t for the previous hierarchy. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I don't know anyone who doesn't think Messi is truly great and a generational player. 

Also, assuming the choosing one in this debate means you have less football knowledge, is criminal. It's not like we are comparing Messi to Freddie Adu 😂

These are the two greatest goal scorers we'll ever see, so choosing one over the other isn't a lack of 'football knowledge', just a difference in opinion. 

I know of a former member who thought Messi was incredibly overrated. But he was also a massive Ronaldo fanboy.

And the fanboys of both of these players are the absolute worst sort of football fans, imo.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know of a former member who thought Messi was incredibly overrated. But he was also a massive Ronaldo fanboy.

And the fanboys of both of these players are the absolute worst sort of football fans, imo.

You referring to Erick? xD

PS i think I’m fanboy but I can’t help it. :( Sorry mate xD

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

I thought he was referring to Teso 😄

Pretty sure it’s the same person… if so then me and him have had some interesting Ronaldo-Messi chats that go back longer than a decade… he was a ‘fanboy’. 

FB3E048A-493B-4FB6-B8B0-B878EC0C1526.jpeg

Before CL final 2011 😂😂

And that stuff was a regular occurance. Ronaldo would score a penalty or beat Messi to the Pichichi  he would be hounding me. 

The people I can’t stand are those who are you like…. “Facts and your opinion is irrelevant” no matter what subject. I always take on board someone’s else’s opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Eco said:

No what I mean is some people think the messi ronaldo debate is settled and that anyone who disagrees is stupid. There are people like that. Not that anyone thinks messi isnt a fantastic player. What I was pointing out is than with one post @Cicerohad already got me thinking about a few things. That is what I meant when I said that perhaps you have to know a bit more about football to understand how good messi really is. I mean look at how many people compare their goal scoring records and say that proves it 

Just now, JoshBRFC said:

The people I can’t stand are those who are you like…. “Facts and your opinion is irrelevant” no matter what subject. I always take on board someone’s else’s opinion. 

Unless it involves Lewis Hamilton, am I right? 

giphy.gif

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

Unless it involves Lewis Hamilton, am I right? 

giphy.gif

Hahaha nah that’s a lot more subjective than a Messi-Ronaldo debate. One thing I would say is definitely true though is it’s definitely Lewis/Michael top 2 of all time. It’s hard to really say who clearly is the better though. Michael for just being Michael and Lewis for shattering all the records we thought were impossible to break. 

18 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

You referring to Erick? xD

PS i think I’m fanboy but I can’t help it. :( Sorry mate xD

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

I thought he was referring to Teso 😄

Yep, that's who I'm referring too.

Also @JoshBRFC - it's alright, if you can't help it I'll forgive you for your fanboyisms because you are pretty fucking cool B|

@JoshBRFC to be fair mate you did use to get annoyed with other peoples opinions yourself in the past. I 100% agree with you but remember some other people might not be as old or as mature or something. 

• Subscriber

@JoshBRFC to be fair mate you did use to get annoyed with other peoples opinions yourself in the past. I 100% agree with you but remember some other people might not be as old or as mature or something. 

Genuinely cannot remember being annoyed by anyone’s opinion. Apart from yours now, you cunt. 

Ha no if I ever give off that opinion then I apologise if that’s the message I give across as I’m too laid back to be angry at those who differ from me. I enjoy a differing of opinion. Like I’ve said before it would be very boring if we all thought the same. 

Teso was a clown though. This forum is better without him 

I honestly didn't mind him so much. I didn't always agree with him (like I frequently didn't agree with him xD) but he had a lot of personality and there's no doubt that online forums are more colourful when you've got users in the community that have so much personality.

But he and Brian just refused to ever play nice, and that was tedious as fuck for everyone on the forum really, and it culminated in him doing something so... stupid... forum staff couldn't just sweep it under the rug. It was just a shockingly stupid moment.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I honestly didn't mind him so much. I didn't always agree with him (like I frequently didn't agree with him xD) but he had a lot of personality and there's no doubt that online forums are more colourful when you've got users in the community that have so much personality.

But he and Brian just refused to ever play nice, and that was tedious as fuck for everyone on the forum really, and it culminated in him doing something so... stupid... forum staff couldn't just sweep it under the rug. It was just a shockingly stupid moment.

I agree. I didn’t not like him. And me and him argued more than most in his earlier days. I just began to understand his personality more.

However you can’t insult so many people on a wider stage for all to see, and he just didn’t help himself.. at all. 

1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

I agree. I didn’t not like him. And me and him argued more than most in his earlier days. I just began to understand his personality more.

However you can’t insult so many people on a wider stage for all to see, and he just didn’t help himself.. at all. 

Also if you're going to threaten to kill someone you don't like on an online forum... maybe don't have EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF STAFF in the PM you're making the threats in so they can all see the fucking threats xD

Also if someone on a forum has pissed you off so much you want to kill them, it's maybe time to stand up, step away from the keyboard, and go do something in real life rather than get annoyed about some guy you don't get along with on the internet!

Archived