talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Would Make F1 Better For You?

football forum

• Administrator

What would bring you back in as a fan? What would attract you back to the sport to make you enjoy it again? 

This isn't to say any of you are wrong to not enjoy it now, I can totally understand why it's not worth tuning it at early hours or keeping up with the races etc. 

Competitive title race, unpredictability, no rule-breaking (!), replacing the hierarchy... 

There's plenty that probably could change... 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Are we allowed to be completely unrealistic here? xD 

First of all, the biggest change I would like to see is F1 focusing on actual racing first and foremost, instead of WWE-style, reality-show-like entertainment with celebrities and fake shit. F1 always had plenty of off-track drama, but the way it is presented now is completely ridiculous to me. I know that most of the new young fans love it, so it's a product of our times in a way, but personally I can't stand it, and it's what puts me off the most. 

From the technical point of view, I want the cars to be smaller and much simpler, and the driver to have much more control over everything while he's in it. I would actually love for the cars to have less downforce, even if it means they'd get slower as a result. Scrap DRS and find alternative ways to improve overtaking, even if with something like push to pass system. For me, things like limiting car power from the garage and giving complex instructions to the drivers over which driving wheel buttons to push in which order is also absolutely not exciting, either. Bring back refueling - other series still have it and manage to do it safely. I would also be in favour of much less design rules and regulations to allow for more creativity and unconventional ideas in general, although I do understand that the financial viability of that is questionable, especially in these times - but since we have a budget cost cap, implement it properly, have very basic regulations (i.e. specific displacement/fuel flow for engines, mandatory safety parts, etc.) and otherwise allow teams to go as crazy as they want with the car designs as long as they're within the budget limits. 

From organisational point of view, I want more consistency, simplicity and clarity in the rules and their application. Also, actually open up to new teams willing to join instead of just waffling about it - allow one car teams and customer teams as well. Lower the entry fee and remove  the no prize money for two years for newbies rule. Stop adding more races in a calendar. Drop sprint races.

If all fails, install sprinklers at tracks :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Get rid of DRS and sprints, bring back refuelling for an extra strategy aspect, make the cars smaller as a result of smaller tanks, this is a bigger barrier to overtaking than people talk about. Sort out the FIA and the stewarding as well.

Off the top of my head:

Scrap sprint races. Sure, a sprint race by itself can be entertaining, but I think it detracts from the excitement of the actual race when you already have a pretty clear idea of where everyone's pace is that weekend.

Fewer races on shit tracks. It's unreal places like Las Vegas were already confirmed while the future of Spa was/is in doubt. At the same time, the directors of older tracks need to step up their game and modernize facilities as there have already been various races in Europe where it was utter chaos logistically, so that's gonna give the FIA a perfect excuse to hold every race in a random desert dictatorship by the end of the decade.

A cap on the amount of Toto Wolff and Christian Horner soundbites that make it into the media every weekend.

Archived