talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Guy Ritchie

football forum

Gotta say his last 4 films have all been fairly great.

Operation Fortune probably the least best of the 4, but it’s a really entertaining watch and an action film done well. Gets better on second viewing too.

Wrath of Man is peak Jason Statham, seemingly pointless violence but it’s done so well. You don’t see a lot of those shoot em up action films these days and Wrath of Man seems like it falls into the John Wick category of action film. Really liked it.

The Gentleman was a return to form, he struggled for a while to replicate the success in the gangster genre that he’d had with Snatch and Lock Stock, two absolute timeless classics. And then went a bit Hollywood with the Sherlock films, both of which I really enjoyed actually, and then King Arthur and Aladdin. But The Gentleman didn’t feel like a stale attempt at replicating old success, it was more of an evolution of his older work and he created some really memorable moments in it, specifically around Colin Farrell.

The Covenant however is probably his best film to date, just action packed, completely blown away by it and the type of action film that you don’t see often. A similar type of film to Behind Enemy Lines. I could rewatch it very easily.

His next film due to release next year is set in World War 2 and is based around a secret group of soldiers that carried out black ops during the war and supposedly is true. Imagine that will be similar to Inglorious Bastards and the tv show SAS Rogue Heroes.

Edited by Danny
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Completely agree on The Gentleman. I didnt have huge expectations going in after Rock n Rolla, it had been awhile since Id seen anything of the quality of his older work. This was it though, it was perfect. Full of top actors and at their best with a great mess of a story that all just works. I still personally think Snatch was his peak, as good as Lock Stock and even Revolver where Snatch was just absolute perfection. 

Ill have to check out the Covenant and Wrath of Man.

• Subscriber

I usually enjoy Ritchie's movies and think they're fun, but I also find most of them very similar to each other, it's like you're always watching the same recycled movie over and over again - most of the time, it's basically a mix of sleek stylish action, a criminal setting, some charismatic characters, dry humour, and a plot twist. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I usually enjoy Ritchie's movies and think they're fun, but I also find most of them very similar to each other, it's like you're always watching the same recycled movie over and over again - most of the time, it's basically a mix of sleek stylish action, a criminal setting, some charismatic characters, dry humour, and a plot twist. 

Im waiting for the bad bit :ph34r: