talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Argentina

football forum

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Brian is just pragmatic critical support while @Dr. Gonzowe are being idealists. I do stand by my earlier statement of fuck Milei and people like him.

I agree with the second statement. I don't think we're being idealists, I get that Argentina's voters were given a pick of 2 bad options - but that's sort of a failing of their own political system.

Don't get me wrong, it's something that plagues most democracies (if not all of them), and I'm sure it's particularly hard for relatively new democracies. Look at the US or UK - they're also struggling with the same issue of having no good choices. But at the end of the day, people with autocratic tendencies and with a lack of respect to human rights are always dangerous to any democracy.

Human rights and political freedoms are hard to gain and easy to lose. Democratically elected extremists with autocratic streaks and sympathies are very dangerous to any democracy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with the second statement. I don't think we're being idealists, I get that Argentina's voters were given a pick of 2 bad options - but that's sort of a failing of their own political system.

Don't get me wrong, it's something that plagues most democracies (if not all of them), and I'm sure it's particularly hard for relatively new democracies. Look at the US or UK - they're also struggling with the same issue of having no good choices. But at the end of the day, people with autocratic tendencies and with a lack of respect to human rights are always dangerous to any democracy.

Human rights and political freedoms are hard to gain and easy to lose. Democratically elected extremists with autocratic streaks and sympathies are very dangerous to any democracy.

To be fair Milei didn't even have the most votes. He just won the run off. In the first round (or whatever the fuck they call it), Massa had taken the most votes overall.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Milei's pulling Argentina out of plans to join BRICS. I think the guy generally has terrible politics - but I think this is a pretty smart move on his part. BRICS is basically a meme - like if you ordered the IMF off Wish.com.

Brics build houses dickhead, not thoughts and prayers. Facts don’t care about your feelings.

11 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Now foreigners cannot study in Argentina free. Brilliant decision. Milei is kicking out the laziness in the country. Will take time and pain but I can see it paying off.

Honestly I can see very eerie similarities to Margaret Thatcher. 

That would be a catastrophe for Argentina. Her decision to shit on producing industries and favour the financial business enterprises harmed the UK in some instances and only let  to the big wealth gap between the English south and north in the end.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 05:43, Goku de la Boca said:

Now foreigners cannot study in Argentina free. Brilliant decision. Milei is kicking out the laziness in the country. Will take time and pain but I can see it paying off.

Haha if he’s anything like Margaret Thatcher he’ll be an abject failure that makes life miserable for most of the country, other than the ultra wealthy, and people living in the capital city.

Outside of Londoners and the wealthy nobody benefitted from Thatcher, and the UK never recovered from her leadership and likely never will.

• Upvote 2

On 30/12/2023 at 07:43, Goku de la Boca said:

How in any capacity is anything you wrote a positive for anyone? Very fascist tendencies.

Peru's homicide rate has increased a bit but I blame that on Trujillo which has been in a shocking state lately as a city.

Ecuador went from 5 last year to 40. Violence has increased tenfold there.

Bolivia and Argentina hold their spot as the least violent countries in South America.