talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fallout London

The upcoming game sized mod will be releasing this year,  the video goes through some of the developments put into this game.    The size of the mod is incredible,  3700 cells,  to put in context Fallout 4 is 2900 cells.   Many of the assets have been made test mods for Fallout 4 ranging from clothes, armors and weapons.   

I'm not too keen on story based mods that give their own interpretation of the Fallout world tbh because I quite like the lore and story of Fallout and I think "non-canon" stories in any context are a bit off putting and weird.

Hope it's good though because good modders of Bethesda games tend to get jobs at Bethesda in the future and that's always nice to hear about.

22 hours ago, Spike said:

So a game whose aesthetic and ethos is entirely inspired by 1950s Americana and Cold War redscare is modded to London?

Another reason why I don't really think this mod will fit in with the canon of the series at all. I'm not even sure how much it'll fit in with the canon of the game as it stands anyways as Europe was meant to be devastated by warfare ahead of the Great War - so seeing so much of London still in tact in the trailer has me thinking "don't think they've really read the source material that closely."

20 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Another reason why I don't really think this mod will fit in with the canon of the series at all. I'm not even sure how much it'll fit in with the canon of the game as it stands anyways as Europe was meant to be devastated by warfare ahead of the Great War - so seeing so much of London still in tact in the trailer has me thinking "don't think they've really read the source material that closely."

Why not Australia? At least it works with the Mad Max aesthetic

• Upvote 1

On 19/02/2024 at 23:39, Spike said:

So a game whose aesthetic and ethos is entirely inspired by 1950s Americana and Cold War redscare is modded to London?

Fallout lore doesn't really cover the rest of the world following the great war,  there are a few holotapes that cover some aspects of life in Russia and China suffering equal destruction.

It basically is post apocalypse earth but in the UK,  and a Fallout Outback may actually be good.

On 19/02/2024 at 21:17, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm not too keen on story based mods that give their own interpretation of the Fallout world tbh because I quite like the lore and story of Fallout and I think "non-canon" stories in any context are a bit off putting and weird.

Hope it's good though because good modders of Bethesda games tend to get jobs at Bethesda in the future and that's always nice to hear about.

I can get that,  it would be like Metro starting a Metro US etc etc.   We should also remember that Fallout was initially only intended to cover what is the West Coast,  moving to the Capital wasteland, commonwealth and Virginia was not cannon either. 

34 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I can get that,  it would be like Metro starting a Metro US etc etc.   We should also remember that Fallout was initially only intended to cover what is the West Coast,  moving to the Capital wasteland, commonwealth and Virginia was not cannon either. 

Kind of immediately became canon as soon as the people who own the IP wrote the stories and made the games though? Not really the case with the mods though - that's more just fan-fiction.  When Bethesda (who are located in Bethesda, Maryland) bought the franchise it was no longer the same development team - but a lot of the spirit of the original games is there & I think the devs wanted to work with the world that was closer to home (Bethesda happens to be right by Washington D.C.) - similar to what the original Fallout developers did in building out the wasteland's California (and what they returned to when given the opportunity to make New Vegas - again, not too far from California).

There's generally not a lot of lore regarding Europe or the UK in the Fallout series other than mentioning that Europe was devastated by the "Resource Wars" & the UK just has brief mentions in some of the games - I think most notably Far Harbor has someone that fled the UK's wasteland to cross the Atlantic, and in Fallout 3 I think there's a holotape about someone who leaves the DC area to seek their fortune in the UK.

I guess I'm just not really that into fan fiction. So this mod isn't really for me. Hopefully it's good though and the mod team gets rewarded with some jobs in the industry - the industry needs more passionate developers imo.