talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2024 - Bahrain GP - 29th Feb to 2nd March

14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

One of the worst things is the pundits and media talking up how much closer the field has got. You can fuck off. That was a carbon copy of practically every race from last year. You can show me as many graphs about the percentage change of qualifying times all you like. Ferrari might nick half a dozen pole positions but Verstappen will easily win nearly, if not all of the ordinary races this season.

I do get that they need to push the agenda that there's competition to sell subscriptions, but I do get you. The biggest joke was Crofty having a meltdown on Twitter telling everyone that they should appreciate Max in this era because of how dominant he is. 

Hamilton's dominance at least had Rosberg, Vettel and Max alongside. There's literally zero challenge at the moment.

Did anyone here actually have any hope that this wasn't going to be Redbull domination again?

F1 died many years ago,  when the stopped in season development and testing, unlimited upgrades, refuelling, multiple tyre manufacturers and and innovation in general.   To stop the Schumacher era which to be fair there were some very tightly contested seasons,  they have created three era's of unchallenged dominance.

They need to make it that redbull get the "trophies" but the real season is between everyone else. 

• Subscriber

DRS and the almost perfect reliability that comes with the sustainability measures that have been introduced have robbed us of probably more than half of the unpredictable results we used to get. That stuff used to be enough to restrict even a Michael Schumacher in 2004's winning probability to about 85% tops.

Another unique thing is this particular combination of car and driver. We've seen the best driver in the best car plenty of times but this Red Bull simply doesn't have an achilles heel and just romps 0.5s faster at any track. And Max simply does not have a day off whereas Vettel and Hamilton occasionally did when they dominated.

My expectations are probably skewed by the era I got into F1 after Schumacher's era and before Vettel's. 2005 and 2006 both had decent title fights through the year. 2007-8 were two of the most dramatic championships of all time even if the pre-DRS racing was poor at some races (not as many or as poor as some people would have you think). Then 2009 saw a total reset of the competitive order and 2010 had a five way title fight between Webber, Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton and Button. 2011 was the first "dominance" season I'd seen and even 2012 was pretty wild so I could be forgiven for thinking it wasn't the norm for both championships to be a foregone conclusion after pre-season testing.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

DRS and the almost perfect reliability that comes with the sustainability measures that have been introduced have robbed us of probably more than half of the unpredictable results we used to get. That stuff used to be enough to restrict even a Michael Schumacher in 2004's winning probability to about 85% tops.

Another unique thing is this particular combination of car and driver. We've seen the best driver in the best car plenty of times but this Red Bull simply doesn't have an achilles heel and just romps 0.5s faster at any track. And Max simply does not have a day off whereas Vettel and Hamilton occasionally did when they dominated.

My expectations are probably skewed by the era I got into F1 after Schumacher's era and before Vettel's. 2005 and 2006 both had decent title fights through the year. 2007-8 were two of the most dramatic championships of all time even if the pre-DRS racing was poor at some races (not as many or as poor as some people would have you think). Then 2009 saw a total reset of the competitive order and 2010 had a five way title fight between Webber, Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton and Button. 2011 was the first "dominance" season I'd seen and even 2012 was pretty wild so I could be forgiven for thinking it wasn't the norm for both championships to be a foregone conclusion after pre-season testing.

I started in the 90's which had some good hard multi team competitive seasons,  sadly the Schumacher era is often blamed for dominance yet they only won low 50% of races,  Mercedes in their first 5-6 years won over 80% and Redbull now are as high if not more dominant.

• The topic was unpinned