talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America USA 2024

@El Profesor How seriously is the copa america taken in South America? I've got the impression it is not taken as seriously as the euros which is almost as serious as the world cup to Europeans.

Brian always said it was taken very seriously but sometimes his judgement isn't always right 

On 27/06/2024 at 12:01, Coma said:

Peru losing to Canada doesn't bode well for their prospects of progressing.  Where are you Brian?  I need my Peru analysis.

To be honest Brian saying that Peru will get through because they have for the last 5 tournaments was a bit odd. They are bottom of their world cup qualifying  group I think and clearly not strong at the moment 

39 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@El Profesor How seriously is the copa america taken in South America? I've got the impression it is not taken as seriously as the euros which is almost as serious as the world cup to Europeans.

Brian always said it was taken very seriously but sometimes his judgement isn't always right 

Your impression is correct.

Copa America is not taken as seriously as the Euros are.

For example, yesterday Yeferson Soteldo, a player from Venezuela,  told the media that qualifying for the World Cup is more important than winning Copa America.

There are lots of reasons for this, the small number of countries in the continent, the fact that travelling in South America is really expensive for fans...

But to sum up, Copa America is nowhere near to the Euros or Afcon.

Venezuela vs Canada.

That feels like one of the most important matches in the history of both national teams. It´s not common to see Venezuela or Canada in a Copa America semi-final versus the defending world champions.

Venezuela is more talented and I would love to see Soteldo, who is very underrated due to his lack of height, shine at the big stage.

At the same time, Canada has a physical advantage over Venezuela and that could be decisive. 

Hoping for an entertaining match.

13 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Venezuela vs Canada.

That feels like one of the most important matches in the history of both national teams. It´s not common to see Venezuela or Canada in a Copa America semi-final versus the defending world champions.

Venezuela is more talented and I would love to see Soteldo, who is very underrated due to his lack of height, shine at the big stage.

At the same time, Canada has a physical advantage over Venezuela and that could be decisive. 

Hoping for an entertaining match.

I do not think this was the most important match in Canada's history. They have been to the FIFA World Cup before. The FIFA World Cup is more important than the Copa America. Venezuela has never qualified for the FIFA World Cup. They did finish 4th in the 2011 Copa America. Also, I do not think that Venezuela is more talented than Canada. I think that Davies and David are both talented players.

On 05/07/2024 at 09:20, El Profesor said:

Your impression is correct.

Copa America is not taken as seriously as the Euros are.

For example, yesterday Yeferson Soteldo, a player from Venezuela,  told the media that qualifying for the World Cup is more important than winning Copa America.

There are lots of reasons for this, the small number of countries in the continent, the fact that travelling in South America is really expensive for fans...

But to sum up, Copa America is nowhere near to the Euros or Afcon.

Personally, I feel like qualifying for the FIFA World Cup should be the main priority for Venezuela. They are the only CONMEBOL side to have never qualified for the FIFA World Cup. Italy won the 2020 Euros, but they have not qualified for the last 2 FIFA World Cups. Chile won the 2015 and 2016 Copas, but they have not qualified for the last 2 FIFA World Cups.

First thing South America needs to do to make Copa America more important is sticking with one format and make it happen after consistent interval whether 2 or 4 years. Holding it irregularly diminishes it importance

43 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

First thing South America needs to do to make Copa America more important is sticking with one format and make it happen after consistent interval whether 2 or 4 years. Holding it irregularly diminishes it importance

The Copa America is held every 4 years, although for different reasons, in the last decade there have been several exceptions to that rule. One of those involved the holding of the Copa America Centenario in 2016, just a year after the competition was held in Chile.

3 minutes ago, RonnieM90 said:

The Copa America is held every 4 years, although for different reasons, in the last decade there have been several exceptions to that rule. One of those involved the holding of the Copa America Centenario in 2016, just a year after the competition was held in Chile.

It has been held for the most part every two years and since 90s pretty irregularly

In short, CONMEBOL – the governing body of South American football – announced in 2018 that they wanted to change the competition calendar so that Copa America would be held the same year as the Euros, starting from 2020 onwards.

At this point, the tournament was being held every four years starting from the 2007 edition. But Copa America has historically never followed a consistent tournament schedule. From 1987 until 2001, the event was hosted every two years in rotation by the 10 members of the confederation. From 2001 to 2007, however, it was changed to occurring every three years.

Even prior to 1987, the tournament oversaw a massively erratic schedule. Most tournaments were held every four years, but a handful were held every two years, every other year, and some back-to-back. From 1967 to 1975, there was an eight-year gap between editions.

In my opinion, the Euros do not matter as much as the FIFA World Cup. Qualifying for the FIFA World Cup should be the main priority for every team. Italy won the 2020 Euros, but they have not qualified for the last 2 FIFA World Cups.

4 hours ago, RonnieM90 said:

Personally, I feel like qualifying for the FIFA World Cup should be the main priority for Venezuela. They are the only CONMEBOL side to have never qualified for the FIFA World Cup. Italy won the 2020 Euros, but they have not qualified for the last 2 FIFA World Cups. Chile won the 2015 and 2016 Copas, but they have not qualified for the last 2 FIFA World Cups.

I agree. Venezuela top priority should be qualifying for 2026.

Considering the expansion of the number of teams and how bad the likes of Chile, Peru, Paraguay and Bolivia are at the moment, it´s completely possible.

3 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Definitely, yes. Conmebol should stick with a format and periodicity.

Doing every 4 years and simultaneously with the Euros, to ride the international competitions hype, is the best solution., in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Canada doing well in this competition,  but beating Argentina might be a  bridge to far.

In the first match versus Argentina, much like yesterday against Venezuela, Canada had chances to open the score but was too wasteful in front of the goal. 

Argentina is the clear favorite obviously, but with Messi not looking completely healthy, Argentina looked vulnerable at times.

If Argentina perform at the same level they did against Ecuador, Canada has a chance to win it, albeit it being a very small one. 

That kid Jacob Shaffelburg looked a really good football player, by the way.

9 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Considering the expansion of the number of teams and how bad the likes of Chile, Peru, Paraguay and Bolivia are at the moment, it´s completely possible.

Doing every 4 years and simultaneously with the Euros, to ride the international competitions hype, is the best solution., in my opinion.

In the first match versus Argentina, much like yesterday against Venezuela, Canada had chances to open the score but was too wasteful in front of the goal. 

Argentina is the clear favorite obviously, but with Messi not looking completely healthy, Argentina looked vulnerable at times.

If Argentina perform at the same level they did against Ecuador, Canada has a chance to win it, albeit it being a very small one. 

Canada has some good young players, they have gotten much better the last 3 or 4 years.  For years I mainly went to the Canadian Women's games because the Men's team was terrible, now the Men's team is a good ticket if they play in the Toronto area.

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Shaffelburg is 24, and is actually older than Davies, who is 23. David is 24, so I think that Canada has potential and could be good for a while. I think Venezuela also has potential and has a good chance to qualify this time around. They are currently 4th in qualifying for the 2024 FIFA World Cup.

Andreas Pereira recently said that:

“The Uruguayan national team is very good, but if you take it name by name, we have a team that they dream of having.”

Quite a stupid thing to say before a decisive match, it will definitely come to haunt us, I am sure. Especially since Uruguay at the moment is a much better side than Brazil.

Their midfield, formed by Valverde, de La Cruz and Ugarte is miles ahead ours, by the way.

Uruguayans, rightly so, took exception to this statement and their FA just posted a motivational video highlighting it.

I expect quite a heated match.

Watching that midfield formed by Bruno Guimarães, Paquetá and João Gomes has got to be some sort of punishment for us brazilians. 

At this point, I wouldn't mind if Uruguay wins it. I am sick and tired of watching this team. 😂

31 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Watching that midfield formed by Bruno Guimarães, Paquetá and João Gomes has got to be some sort of punishment for us brazilians. 

At this point, I wouldn't mind if Uruguay wins it. I am sick and tired of watching this team. 😂

You got your wish.  

Penalties again.  We seemed to be seeing more and more of them.

Uruguay are one hell of a dirty team.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

You got your wish.  

Penalties again.  We seemed to be seeing more and more of them.

Uruguay are one hell of a dirty team.

It feels like all that motivation to play against Brazil ended up being harmful to Uruguay. 

If they imposed their superiority in the midfield and played like Bielsa teams usually do instead of trying to physically win the match, Uruguay would probably have beaten us easily, like they've done recently in the WC qualifiers. 

Brazil is a mess right now. Had Fifa not expanded the World Cup, I am not sure we would qualify for 2026. This is how bad things are right now. 

For more than 20 minutes we have an one-man advantage and we could barely create chances. 

I don't trust Dorival Jr. He simply is not good enough of a coach to build a team from the scratch in less than 2 years to compete at highest level. And I am not sure the players from Europe respect him. 

In my opinion, the best option for us after Ancelotti decided to stay at Real Madrid was José Mourinho or Abel Ferreira.

Mourinho is not an option anymore now that he joined Fener but Abel Ferreira would probably take the job if given the chance. 

He probably is the best coach in brazilian football and the fact that he is portuguese would probably help him deal with the players from Europe.

We need a foreign coach asap.

Considering how underwhelming our midfield options are, we should play a pragmatic style of football.

Casemiro's decline left a huge hole.

Edited by El Profesor

I am hearing James Rodriguez could be player of the tournament.  I haven't seen Columbia play so have missed him play.  He was great in the 2014 World Cup and for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, but seemed to go downhill after he played for Everton.   I thought he had retired but I see he went to Brazil to play.   Glad he has regained some form, I always liked him as a player.