talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America USA 2024

13 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I am hearing James Rodriguez could be player of the tournament.  I haven't seen Columbia play so have missed him play.  He was great in the 2014 World Cup and for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, but seemed to go downhill after he played for Everton.   I thought he had retired but I see he went to Brazil to play.   Glad he has regained some form, I always liked him as a player.

Yes, James is the player of tournament so far.

Colombia is at the moment a top 5 team in international football and I see them as one of the early favorites for 2026. 

27 games unbeaten.

I would love to see Colombia winning Copa America and breaking the psychological barrier that keeps them from achieving great things.

They can beat any national team.

6 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

I am hearing James Rodriguez could be player of the tournament.  I haven't seen Columbia play so have missed him play.  He was great in the 2014 World Cup and for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, but seemed to go downhill after he played for Everton.   I thought he had retired but I see he went to Brazil to play.   Glad he has regained some form, I always liked him as a player.

He's been incredible, which is weird because I thought he was absolutely finished. He's definitely one of those players that turns up more for their national team than for the rest of their career though.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's been incredible, which is weird because I thought he was absolutely finished. He's definitely one of those players that turns up more for their national team than for the rest of their career though.

He was arguably the best player at the 2014 World Cup, but that was 10 years.  It incredible he's doing again at 33.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

James is 33 next week, will he still be on theirbteam two years from now?

Yes, I believe so. 

He doesn't actually need to do much without the ball for Colombia. The team is centered around James, with all his teammates running a bit more to compensate. A bit like Argentina does for Messi. 

His midfield teammates, such as Jhon Arias and Richard Rios, are also very underrated. 

Their midfield completely dominated ours, formed by Premier League players, and they beat Spain at Santiago Bernabeu last March.

Colombia can beat any national team. 

And like @Dr. Gonzo mentioned, James doesn't really care about club football. He only turns up for Colombia.

Watching him at São Paulo made me realize that. 

James is a brilliant player, he is probably a top 10 active player in terms of pure ability but he is not a great athlete. He doesn't train hard and struggle with the physical aspect of the game. 

I love classic number 10s like James, it's a shame these kind of player have almost disappeared.

By the way, kind of off topic but... I watched a Ronaldinho highlights video this morning and I thought of you @El Profesor because I got pretty sad thinking about how good Brazil was in the past compared to this current squad that was just knocked out by Uruguay.

On 08/07/2024 at 19:36, Dr. Gonzo said:

By the way, kind of off topic but... I watched a Ronaldinho highlights video this morning and I thought of you @El Profesor because I got pretty sad thinking about how good Brazil was in the past compared to this current squad that was just knocked out by Uruguay.

I can´t really complain, because growing up in the 90s I was able to see the prime of players such as Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Kaká.  haha

• Like 1

Argentina vs Canada.

The world-champions are heavy favorites, but Canada showed in their previous encounter that they have the tools to pull a surprise if Argentina don't find their 2022 form.

Curious to watch Jacob Shaffelburg, he impressed me so far in this tournament.

6 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Everytime I watch Darwin Núñez I get more convinced that he is a good footballer, but a terrible striker. 

He does all things right, but can't finish well consistently.

Could have had a hatrick already.

6 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Could have had a hatrick already.

If Darwin had half of the composure Suárez has in front of the goal, Uruguay would be leading.

Lots of defensive blunders by Colombia.

Colombia has a long tradition of choking at the big stage. The 1994 World Cup being the best example.

They need a win to tonight to surpass that psychological barrier.

Chaotic 2nd half but Colombia holds the lead to advance to the final.

Colombia vs Argentina is the best final possible for this competition.

Colombia will probably miss Richard Rios and Muñoz is suspended.

Argentina was already the favorite, but I think their favoritism is even bigger now considering the depth of the colombian squad leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, it should be a great final.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Darwin Nunez is fucking crazy

I saw he was in the stands fighting Colombians?!

Was it actually him?!