talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2. Bundesliga 2024/2025

• The topic was pinned
  • 2 weeks later...

Braunschweig are early candidates for a manager sacking after losing 1-5 at Schalke and 1-3 at home against Magdeburg they're now 0-4 down at Köln. Additionally they've lost 1-4 to Frankfurt in thre cup. That's 16 goals conceded in just 4 matches. And it's not even like they had 1 off match, since they never lost 0-10 or something.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

Really bewildered about Alexander Zorniger's statements today about his 21 year old goalkeeper, who made a mistake that lead to a goal. It felt really harsh and personal. Even Sven Ulreich wrote a comment about this saying a statement like that from a coach in public is unbelievable. 

https://www.ran.de/sports/fussball/bundesliga/news/sven-ulreich-attackiert-fuerth-coach-alexander-zorniger-nach-heftiger-torwart-kritik-422612

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Really bewildered about Alexander Zorniger's statements today about his 21 year old goalkeeper, who made a mistake that lead to a goal. It felt really harsh and personal. Even Sven Ulreich wrote a comment about this saying a statement like that from a coach in public is unbelievable. 

https://www.ran.de/sports/fussball/bundesliga/news/sven-ulreich-attackiert-fuerth-coach-alexander-zorniger-nach-heftiger-torwart-kritik-422612

Er war bestimmt sehr zornig... 

I'll get my coat

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Well in Zornigers defense: No employer has any moral scruples to critizise their employee that way in any other industry. Why should footballers be priviliged in that regard as well?

6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well in Zornigers defense: No employer has any moral scruples to critizise their employee that way in any other industry. Why should footballers be priviliged in that regard as well?

The kid is 21 and made one mistake, and apparently made several great saves to even keep them in the game. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

The kid is 21 and made one mistake, and apparently made several great saves to even keep them in the game. 🤷‍♂️

So you'd spare a bus conductor from critizism, if he drove the bus against a bridge pier because they're young and met the timetable before?

• 3 weeks later...

Schalke are just one of the most erratic teams in the 2 Bundesliga. They have actually got a very decent squad this season for this division, but their results and performances have not been consistent at all. For Schalke to lose todays match against Darmstadt, when Schalke were leading 3-0, will really haunt them.

Darmstadt for their part were excellent in the 2nd half and their Swedish striker Isac Lidberg was superb as he scored a hattrick to inspire the victory for Darmstadt. Lidberg took all his goals superbly, as he was clinical with his efforts. It was also nice to see Scottish forward Fraser Hornby score a goal for Darmstadt, considering the injury plagued year he had last season. However, true to form, Hornby also got injured in today's match, having to leave the pitch due to injury in the 68th minute of the 2nd half. 

Schalke 3-5 Darmstadt

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

Schalke are just one of the most erratic teams in the 2 Bundesliga. They have actually got a very decent squad this season for this division, but their results and performances have not been consistent at all. For Schalke to lose todays match against Darmstadt, when Schalke were leading 3-0, will really haunt them.

Darmstadt for their part were excellent in the 2nd half and their Swedish striker Isac Lidberg was superb as he scored a hattrick to inspire the victory for Darmstadt. Lidberg took all his goals superbly, as he was clinical with his efforts. It was also nice to see Scottish forward Fraser Hornby score a goal for Darmstadt, considering the injury plagued year he had last season. However, true to form, Hornby also got injured in today's match, having to leave the pitch due to injury in the 68th minute of the 2nd half. 

Schalke 3-5 Darmstadt

At the bolded part: Really? Are you serious? I'd rather say their squad is bang average for 2.Liga, at best. Much worse than Köln, Paderborn, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover, and even Hertha BSC. More of the same ilk as Lautern, Fürth, Nürnberg, or Elversberg.

12 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

At the bolded part: Really? Are you serious? I'd rather say their squad is bang average for 2.Liga, at best. Much worse than Köln, Paderborn, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover, and even Hertha BSC. More of the same ilk as Lautern, Fürth, Nürnberg, or Elversberg.

Player for player, Schalke's squad is better than Paderborn's and even Hannover's in my opinion. Koln, Dusseldorf, Hamburg and Hertha BSC have some of the strongest squads in this division, so Schalke's squad is probably not as good as theirs. Paderborn have have had some easy fixtures at the start of the season, but they couldn't even beat the likes of Ulm and Preussen Munster. They probably punched above their weight in some of the other matches they've won this season, but like I said, player for player, I think Schalke have a stronger squad than them.

However, I'd say that Schalke's squad is also better than Lautern's, Fürth's, Nürnberg's, or Elversberg's, although I don't think Nürnberg's squad is as average as you suggest it is, they've got several good players in their squad for this level. Even Kaiserslautern have some decent players in their squad. But yeah, I still think Schalke has a stronger squad than these teams that you mentioned, especially Fürth and most definitely Elversberg.

If we look at Schalke's results so far this season, they destroyed Eintracht Braunschweig and beat them 5-1 in their opening match of the season. In their 2nd match, Schalke kind of got unlucky away to Nürnberg, as Schalke had the lead in the 1st half through a Cisse goal, but Schalke had Schallenberg sent-off soon after their goal. As a result, in the 2nd half, the home side Nürnberg exploited their 1 man advantage to score 2 goals, that gave them the lead. I think Schallenberg's sending off was a big factor in helping a decent Nürnberg side defeat Schalke that day.

In matches after that, Schalke would then draw 2-2 away to Magdeburg, then Schalke would lose to 2 of the better teams in this division, against both Koln and Karlsruhe. So we can't really say that these 2 results were a disgrace for Schalke or something. Schalke though should have definitely won yesterday's match against Darmstadt though. If you take a 3-0 lead in this division, you should definitely not end up losing the match. However, having said that, despite some poor play by Schalke in the 2nd half, I saw Darmstadt play some of their best football this season in that 2nd half. Lidberg in particular was excellent and he was lethal in front of goal. 

So all in all, it's still early days in the season and Schalke still have time to sort themselves out and go on a successful run. They've been quite erratic with their results so far this season, but a sending off against Nürnberg and a mental capitulation in the 2nd half against Darmstadt, has not really helped their cause. But they've also had some tough fixtures so far have Schalke, yet they have time and opportunity to improve their position in the league. I think Schalke will work things out and be in the top half of the table in the near future.

Edited by Michael

3 hours ago, Michael said:

If we look at Schalke's results so far this season, they destroyed Eintracht Braunschweig and beat them 5-1 in their opening match of the season.

Schalke destroyed Braunschweig correct, still you forgot to mention Braunschweig got the great total of 1 point and a goal difference of -12 in 5 matches, as well as losing 1-4 at home in their cup match. Do you really think that win indicates anything other than Braunschweig having an abysmal start to the season?

Well plyed 6 matches, threee against top half three against lower half teams, out of this Schalke won 1 match against a bottom half team and lost both the others, since they amazed 4 points they lost 2 and drew 1 of their matches against top half opponents, and that against Magdeburg, who will finish the season in the bottom in my honest opinion, while Elversberg played 5 matches 4 of them against top half teams of which they lost 1, and 1 against a bottom half team, Darmstadt at home, which they won 4-0. So although Elversberg played less matches in total and more matches against top half teams they managed to amaze more points than Schalke. Both teams played already 4 opponents the other team played as well . The results were: Elversberg 4-0 Darmstadt, Schalke 3-5 Darmstadt; Magdeburg 0-0 Elversberg, Schalke 2-2 Magdeburg; Karlsruhe 3-2 Elversberg, Karlsruhe 2-0 Schalke; Elversberg 2-2 Köln, and Schalke 1-3 Köln.

Yea, have to admit the reality supports your thesis of Schalke being most definetly better than Elversberg immensly.:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Schalke destroyed Braunschweig correct, still you forgot to mention Braunschweig got the great total of 1 point and a goal difference of -12 in 5 matches, as well as losing 1-4 at home in their cup match. Do you really think that win indicates anything other than Braunschweig having an abysmal start to the season?

Well plyed 6 matches, threee against top half three against lower half teams, out of this Schalke won 1 match against a bottom half team and lost both the others, since they amazed 4 points they lost 2 and drew 1 of their matches against top half opponents, and that against Magdeburg, who will finish the season in the bottom in my honest opinion, while Elversberg played 5 matches 4 of them against top half teams of which they lost 1, and 1 against a bottom half team, Darmstadt at home, which they won 4-0. So although Elversberg played less matches in total and more matches against top half teams they managed to amaze more points than Schalke. Both teams played already 4 opponents the other team played as well . The results were: Elversberg 4-0 Darmstadt, Schalke 3-5 Darmstadt; Magdeburg 0-0 Elversberg, Schalke 2-2 Magdeburg; Karlsruhe 3-2 Elversberg, Karlsruhe 2-0 Schalke; Elversberg 2-2 Köln, and Schalke 1-3 Köln.

Yea, have to admit the reality supports your thesis of Schalke being most definetly better than Elversberg immensly.:ph34r:

Mate, lol, why are you going over the breakdown of Schalke's results and performances when I've already explained it? Yes, Braunschweing are so abysmal, that's why they convincingly beat Greauther Furth 2-0 today.:ph34r:

My whole argument, was that Schalke, player for player have a better squad than the clubs I mentioned in my opinion. It's still very early in the season, so you getting so excited about Elversberg's mediocre results is way too premature and yes, as I said, Schalke haven't been great in some matches as well. Moreover, as we know, football is more than just having the better players, a lot of other factors come into things, especially the tactics and the management of the team. 

Elversberg drew 0-0 with Greuther Furth last week, while Braunschweig handily defeated Greuther Furth 2-0 today and Schalke of course crushed Braunschweig 5-1! You see, we can analyse results and make various cases as to who is playing better and who is the better team. But like I said, my argument is that Schalke with the players they have, should at least finish the season in the top half of the table. I also maintain that it's way too early to read too much into the table standings right now.

However, we can discuss my argument in detail if you like, we can determine which squad, player for player is stronger, Schalke or Elversberg(since you made a case for Elversberg being better).

Edited by Michael

3 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

First sacking of that season happened. Geraerts ain't Schalke manager anymore.

Well that's not too surprising. When a club like Schalke, with high expectations in this division, loses and squanders a 3-0 lead, that's never going to go down well with the Schalke board.

41 minutes ago, Michael said:

Mate, lol, why are you going over the breakdown of Schalke's results and performances when I've already explained it? Yes, Braunschweing are so abysmal, that's why they convincingly beat Greauther Furth 2-0 today.:ph34r:

My whole argument, was that Schalke, player for player have a better squad than the clubs I mentioned in my opinion. It's still very early in the season, so you getting so excited about Elversberg's mediocre results is way too premature and yes, as I said, Schalke haven't been great in some matches as well. Moreover, as we know, football is more than just having the better players, a lot of other factors come into things, especially the tactics and the management of the team. 

Elversberg drew 0-0 with Greuther Furth last week, while Braunschweig handily defeated Greuther Furth 2-0 today and Schalke of course crushed Braunschweig 5-1! You see, we can analyse results and make various cases as to who is playing better and who is the better team. But like I said, my argument is that Schalke with the players they have, should at least finish the season in the top half of the table. I also maintain that it's way too early to read too much into the table standings right now.

However, we can discuss my argument in detail if you like, we can determine which squad, player for player is stronger, Schalke or Elversberg(since you made a case for Elversberg being better).

At the bolded part: I didn't ,said they were the same ilk, while you said Schalke were most definetly superior.

As for the table standings, have a look at the final table last season Schalke finished on 10th spot with 43 points, while Elversberg finished on 11 th spot with 43 points, so they deciding factor was GD. How does this support your thesis from Schalke being "most definetly" superior than Elversberg? Or is the end of a season alse early to read something into the table standings?

10 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

At the bolded part: I didn't ,said they were the same ilk, while you said Schalke were most definetly superior.

Yes, I said player for player, Schalke are stronger. We are not talking about the ilk or the stature or the successful history of each respective club. Of course Schalke would win easily on all fronts if we were talking about that. I am specifically talking about the quality of players that each team has in their respective squads. For me, it's quite obvious that Schalke have more better players in their squad this season than Elversberg do.

Edited by Michael

8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

And I firmly disagree! But let's stop at this point, feel this debate leads to nothing.

Why don't you want to analyse the players in the squads and put your case forward?🤔 It's better than doing a runner. Saying that you firmly disagree proves nothing. I do not base my opinions on feelings and emotions. If Schalke had some less better players in their squad compared to Elversberg, I'd happily say so. 

Edited by Michael

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I love Daniel Thioune.

He has actually proven himself to be an excellent manager. Just look at his stats since he became Dusseldorf manager. He took charge of Dusseldorf midway through the season at the start of February 2022, when Dusseldorf were in 16th position in the league. Thioune then went undefeated in his first 12 consecutive matches as manager of Dusseldorf. Fortuna Dusseldorf would finish that season in 10th position, well away from the relegation zone.

In the 2022/23 season, which was Thioune's first full season as manager of Dusseldorf, Thioune managed to get Dusseldorf to finish in 4th place in the 2 Bundesliga at the end of the season. Then the following season(last season), Thioune managed to steer Dusseldorf into finishing the 2 Bundesliga in 3rd position in the league table. This season so far, Dusseldorf are top of the league in 1st position. It's obviously early days yet, but it just seems like he is improving this Dusseldorf side season upon season.

In today's match, Thioune's decision to bring on Niemiec as a substitute when Dusseldorf were trailing to Koln, proved crucial, as Niemiec would score the equaliser that earned Dusseldorf an important point and the 2-2 draw. It's been an excellent start to the season for Dusseldorf, where they have won 4 matches and drawn their other 2 league games. With Thioune at the helm, one can't help but feel very confident about Dusseldorf's chances of getting promoted this season.

Edited by Michael
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Michael said:

Why don't you want to analyse the players in the squads and put your case forward?🤔 It's better than doing a runner. Saying that you firmly disagree proves nothing. I do not base my opinions on feelings and emotions. If Schalke had some less better players in their squad compared to Elversberg, I'd happily say so. 

Okay then, name a Schalke forward better than Luca Schnellbacher! And be so kind to point out, why Justin Heekeren is better than Nicolas Kristof!