talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League 2024/25 - League Phase Matchday 1 - 17-19th September, 2024

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s utterly meaningless. Twenty-four teams qualify, you’re going to have to be unbelievably shit as a team from any of the top five leagues not to qualify and the bottom twelve will just be the cannon fodder that were from the old Pots 3 and 4 and clubs that are massive domestically but cut adrift financially by the behemoths from the top five leagues. You can have appetising looking fixtures in this format but they’re worth nothing because almost everyone goes through. 

It’s just the latest greed move by UEFA and its clubs, pushed through the back door whilst people stamped their feet about the Super League, and it’s effected domestic football and will continue to do so. 

Interesting and arrogant take given neither Man Utd nor Newcastle belonged to the best 24 teams last season.

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

We were shit with the ball. Atalanta didn't do much with the ball. A penalty saved, the rebound from the penalty was also saved. Nothing else happened.

It wasn't a bad away performance to be honest considering we had spurs on the weekend and have city this weekend. I thought they looked better than us in the second half and more likely to win. Despite being 0.0 I thought it was an interesting game tactically. It was always an issue when we didn't have the ball over the years. Arteta has improved is so well in that way I think. 

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s utterly meaningless. Twenty-four teams qualify, you’re going to have to be unbelievably shit as a team from any of the top five leagues not to qualify and the bottom twelve will just be the cannon fodder that were from the old Pots 3 and 4 and clubs that are massive domestically but cut adrift financially by the behemoths from the top five leagues. You can have appetising looking fixtures in this format but they’re worth nothing because almost everyone goes through. 

It’s just the latest greed move by UEFA and its clubs, pushed through the back door whilst people stamped their feet about the Super League, and it’s effected domestic football and will continue to do so. 

It is definitely part greed. Same as the extended 2026 World Cup will be. And also Club World Cup when that happens soon.

In a way though, I'm not sure the jeopardy has changed drastically. Last season only 1 team per 4 team group was actually eliminated from European competition completely. So, if I'm looking back at accurate info, only 8 from 32 were properly eliminated. With 8 going to Europa League.

Now, 12 from the 36 have no European football. While 16 have an additional play off round to reach the Last 16.

So, yes, it's money grabbing. As the original expansion in the 90's always was. And yes, it probably favours the stronger regions. But also, don't forget Copenhagen were a side that helped eliminate Man United last season. And the Conference League winner was Greek.

It does play its part to add into the concern over increasing fixtures from the players themselves.

But, I do think it will catch on. And can easily imagine Euro's & World Cup's taking a close look at the format idea itself.

Edited by Reluctant Striker