talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian A-League

football forum

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

I've never really watched A-League but noticed there on early morning on at weekend, so might fill a gap waiting for UK matches. What's the quality actually like?

that 5-4 this morning caught my attention on the score sheet? Might get up tomorrow for that Wellington match and see. 

Not the best. 

You're probably talking League One quality at best, with the odd match that really stands out as higher standard. 

I don't mind watching it though - like you I end up getting up early and this is on if there's no cricket.

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

I'd normally watch Moto GP and the also-ran runs of it at that time of day if it's this side of the planet, but there's unlikely to be many opportunities to watch that any time soon and obviously not on in January normally anyway. :(

You do get the odd entertaining game like the one this morning. Perfect entertainment to wake up to!

And I remember watching this - I think I sat bolt upright when this flew in. Couldn't believe what I'd just seen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Melbourne Vixtory very dirty. Dislike them the most in the entire league, always have. 

Another late tackle not given any punishment. 

Yeah I don't mind advantage being played but at least go back for the bookings. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ToonFan said:

So does these league work more like the NBA than European football? No relegation and play-offs to decide the winner, all a bit odd?

Think that's just because there's not enough pro teams around. Only this season it went to 12 teams in this league.

5 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Looking at the divisions below - there's semi-pro teams in there, surely the opportunity to promote up to A League for the winner would help them turn professional. It has a grand final, so surely 1 up 1 down could work? 

Although if there just trying to wait for the league to expand, could they not bring up the semi-finalists of the National Premier League finals? Although, I guess it's more complicated than that. 

As for the actual football, a relatively entertaining second half. :)

Some interesting points made, will respond when I’ve calmed down haha 

• Haha 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Federici’s save from that McGowan volley was genuine world class and shows why he made some EPL appearances! 

Yeah was top quality. 

Shame about this rain delay.

33 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

The rain delay is fine - and inconvenience but understandable if there's lightning*. I'm not sure I follow the logic of delaying the match that was starting after it though because of it. :|

That said wasn't this one of the issues raised with moving the league, with bad weather being more likely. 

We’ve always had our season this time of year. Just eastern states weather is crapper than the west 

10 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

It's being gradually moved through from summer to winter though isn't it? Surely that makes weather more of an issue other time. 

As I said though - I get not wanting to play in the lightning but why does the Brisbane match need delaying? 

Oh is it? I’d imagine due to broadcasting